Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Californian ?Deluxe? oddities

Pardon the noob / poser question…

I finally bought my first (used) Hamer.  I believe it is a Californian Deluxe made in Korea.  It has been HEAVILY modified and I want to know what is stock and if it is a deluxe.  In my research I have noticed it is pretty much impossible to date or identify with a serial number, and that's not what I'm looking for.  All I hope to find out is the actual model name and layout.  I'll list out "oddities" below:

1. Wilkinson(?) locking tuners.  I haven't pulled one off yet to be sure, but they look like the "Gotoh style, Sperzel style"  Obviously not stock.

2. Missing truss rod cover.  Not a big deal and from my research there hasn't been any markings on others, but it's something I can't reference.

3. Serial number (1703xxx) and MADE IN KOREA is in white paint under clear coat.  I have seen others that are black ink on a white sticker.

4. Locking nut appears "stock"--- it is not the style with 2 bolts going through the neck like a "true Floyd".

5. Both pickups appear to have been replaced.  Neck single coil has raised lettering DIMARZIO while bridge humbucker has no writing at all (doesn't say Duncan Designed).

6. Floyd Rose II tremolo looks in much better shape than rest of guitar (looks like it is brand new while pickups and body has scuffs and scrapes).  Doesn't have "licensed by" but also doesn't appear to have Schaller / Germany anywhere.  I am not impressed with how the arm screws in, only about 2 threads before it's tight, but the threads are not stripped.  LITIAN CENTURY stamped on spring block.

7. Has a 5 way switch with an odd layout.  I have found wiring diagrams online for American models, and they show a 3 way switch.  The layout is so far VERY hard to figure out.  bottom position sounds very thin, like a phase reverse(?) both humbucker sides tap test / 2nd position is a much fuller sound but mid-bucker side tap tests while bridge-bucker side is much lower / middle position is mid-bucker and neck, no bridge-bucker / 4th position is all pickups / top position is neck single coil only.  Looking inside the wiring cavity the switch is monstrous- looks like a 5 way / 4 pole / split coil switch with a white sticker, 1822 printed on it.  The soldering work is less than professional.

8. Much of the body paint has been sanded off to bare wood and clear coated.  I think it was originally solid black.  Jack plate appears stock (black paint, Strat style in the side of body below strap peg)  Plain black 4 bolt neck plate, Single piece 27 fret maple neck, boomerang inlay and single piece maple body.

A lot of this is just reference information- my first question is this a "Deluxe" or was there a Korean "Elite" or is there a signature series I'm not aware of?  With much of the finish completely sanded off I can't tell if, like it is a "George Lynch Kamikaze" design--- or how the Eddie Van Halen had the red with white stripes--- or if it was a Justin Beiber signature it would have committed suicide long before I got it.

2nd question- does that layout seem right at all?  Pickup selection is not intuitive to me.  Again thinking it could be an odd "Signature Series" type of layout, or a screw up by the previous owner.  Heck, maybe the humbucker just pooped out?

I'm limited to picture file size, I can upload more if wanted, but would have to do a post per pic.

front.jpg

Black was a stock finish - that was from 2003-05 most likely.   The earlier imports didn’t have the boomerangs.  

Those are typically decent guitars - the pickups and Floyd are sometimes the key things to replace, but should be a fun little rocker for not a ton of money.

Eventually you'll want to compare and contrast with a USA model. I've heard those are amazing pieces of instrumentation. 

Thanks for the replies!  I'm also about 100% sure it was a black finish, but since the top was completely sanded down I have no idea if it had a Justin Beiber print on it or not.  Would definitely love an American, but they definitely rare and usually cost more than my car and motorcycle combined.  Does anyone have any input / ideas on the wiring?  Soon I'll tear it apart, but want as much info as I can get first.  The way the wiring seems now I think I'll rip it out and redo all of it, but if there's a method to the madness, I want to know before I get to crazy.  These are supposed to be 3 way, not 5 way switches, right?  Close up of wiring below, you can see the '1822' sticker on the bottom.

wire1.jpg

2 minutes ago, rbbrchckn said:

Does anyone have any input / ideas on the wiring? 

Yup. Ditch that blade switch for a toggle switch. 😆

Also, assuming this is a stock Deluxe with a black finish, it should have 'Duncan Designed' pickups, right?  Once I tear it apart I hope to have an idea what's in there.  Neck is a DiMarzio, but no idea what the humbucker is.  It has no lettering and it hasn't been sanded off.

Yes = DD pickups.

Archived