Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Led Zep (defendant) wins plaintiff's appeal of "Stairway to Heaven" vs. "Taurus"

Meh. Funny how they compensated Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf, et al, for DIRECT copying of IP on their first two records, but on an, "original" composition, they claim no such influence from a band they toured with and also owned LPS by. 

I get that they want to protect their, "legacy", or whatever, and their mailbox money, but let's get real. There's an influence there, no doubt.

8 hours ago, RobB said:

Meh. Funny how they compensated Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf, et al, for DIRECT copying of IP on their first two records, but on an, "original" composition, they claim no such influence from a band they toured with and also owned LPS by. 

I get that they want to protect their, "legacy", or whatever, and their mailbox money, but let's get real. There's an influence there, no doubt.

Everyone is influenced by someone. If it was just influence, Robin Trower would owe the Hendrix estate a fortune!

Very true. In the case of STH, I feel the arrangement/instrumentation is similar to the Spirit tune, but I don't think it is outright thievery. STH goes to a much different place than, "Taurus", does, in my view.

There's a movie from 1966 I saw that has an outro that's, curiously, a progression and flute solo eerily similar to "Stairway".  It's called Kill Baby Kill.  Pre-dates Spirit and Zep.

Is there any original thought?

From what I understand the most recent appeal was decided by the entire bench (11 judges) who only looked at the sheet music and didn't hear the two songs.  I would think that worked in Zep's favor.   If any of us thought there was some similarity, it was because of the recordings and not looking at dots and lines on paper.

Archived