Hamer Fan Club Message Center

UPDATE: NGD: 2010 Charvel SoCal 2HH

RobB

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RobB said:

Got new Gravelin slug-coils today. Here's a preview of my weekend project:

IMG_0468.JPG

Ooohhh...  that’s gonna slay. Can’t wait for the full review. 

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Ooohhh...  that’s gonna slay. Can’t wait for the full review. 

Yeah, the MM-clone certainly suits my late-70's aesthetic. I checked my parts boxes and I had to do an order for pots, switches, nuts/washers and wire. So, it'll be a while...

Weird, the So-Cal uses Fender/CTS solid-shaft pot, Gotoh toggle and a Switchcraft jack. Quite a mish-mash.

Lots of tinkering on that guitar. Although it’s looking great stock, eventually want to have it Stike’d? 

2 hours ago, gorch said:

Lots of tinkering on that guitar. Although it’s looking great stock, eventually want to have it Stike’d? 

Not this one. I like it the way it looks. 

That's looking nice, RB!  I'm kinda digging the white guard on mine too - something different. Really like the pickup and control layout on these (probably the biggest reason all my traditional strats have come and gone).

I'm liking my SOCAL so much that I had a weak moment and snagged another Model 1 body for the Musicraft neck that has been sitting here. its original body, similar to your GJ Legacy, is now approaching ten months(!) at the paint shop. Might do a quick refin, and I'm planning to build this body up to resemble the Gary Moore Charvels... but with an old Schecter Superrock that I have here in lieu of the EMG. If the other body eventually makes it way back, I'll probably find a rosewood board neck for this one...

Anyway, here's to having some fun with our respective pandemic projects!

16 minutes ago, chromium said:

That's looking nice, RB!  I'm kinda digging the white guard on mine too - something different. Really like the pickup and control layout on these (probably the biggest reason all my traditional strats have come and gone).

I'm liking my SOCAL so much that I had a weak moment and snagged another Model 1 body for the Musicraft neck that has been sitting here. its original body, similar to your GJ Legacy, is now approaching ten months(!) at the paint shop. Might do a quick refin, and I'm planning to build this body up to resemble the Gary Moore Charvels... but with an old Schecter Superrock that I have here in lieu of the EMG. If the other body eventually makes it way back, I'll probably find a rosewood board neck for this one...

10 months?! I'd contact the guy and have him pay you for the body and call it soup. What, did he put his spray gun on a ventilator?

1 minute ago, RobB said:

10 months?! I'd contact the guy and have him pay you for the body and call it soup. What, did he put his spray gun on a ventilator?

Yep - I can more than deal with a hefty wait... but the complete lack of response is a guarantee that I'll never deal with this outfit again. Had I known what 2020 had in store for us all, I would have never outsourced the refin to begin with.

As for getting another body, well that would have happened regardless. Had every intention to build a guitar around that pickup! :)

6 hours ago, RobB said:

Both really cool. How is the 7 tuned?

standard low B to E - I had to go to a .010-.059 set as the .009-whatever was way too muddy and meh on the low B. The neck is really thin and wide, and the string change didn't even require an trussrod adjustment due to the reinforcing rods in the neck.  Plays and sounds great, but I'm still not really sure to do with that B lol.

I think I picked up the purple USA back in 2013 or so as an NOS leftover.

Archived