Hamer Fan Club Message Center

UPDATE: NGD: 2010 Charvel SoCal 2HH

RobB

4/5/2020: A very nice, original example of a USA SoCal Model 1HH. Plays and sounds killer-diller. @diablo175 was right about the neck pickup. Smooth and pronounced, ballzy.

I've ordered two pickguards (B/W/B and mint-green 3-ply) from Reverb, but I'll do a separate post on that install. I did put in three fu-tone.com, light springs. Much smoother trem action, now. 

Anyway, enjoy!

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

I need to avoid looking at these guitars as I want to buy one with a rosewood fingerboard/2 humbucker version of your guitar. Happy New Guitar Day, dude! 

Guitar George

54 minutes ago, Hamer95USA said:

I need to avoid looking at these guitars as I want to buy one with a rosewood fingerboard/2 humbucker version of your guitar.

The USA So-Cals and other models from the initial runs are a lot of guitar for the money. Dimarzios/Duncan’s, real OFR, Grovers, recessed cavity plate. They’re harder to find than their Japan/Mexico counterparts, but they pop up occasionally. Helps to be like Sammy Davis Jr., and, “ keep an eye out.”

2CD39296-A0C9-46AD-AE61-0FA9AB74F0BE.jpeg

On 3/11/2020 at 7:09 PM, RobB said:

"...if you insist. At that price I CAN'T resist!"---B.Gibbons.

charvel10sandimas-style1-hh-floyd-red.jpg

2010 So-Cal shipping shortly with an RMC Wizard Wah, also in bright red. With a HS Coffin Case, too! 🙄 .

I've been missing my black So-Cal for years, stupid move selling that one. I think FMIC kinda took it in the shorts on their initial run of USA-made Charvels. They were a good deal then and and an even better one today. Ironically, before I sold it I had Billy Rowe refinish it Dakota Red. 

Awesome color combo! Love that classic look! The aesthetics of the maple board, the Strat head w/ black hardware and that angled jack make this one purdy axe!

Yeah, I've had a few of these; 3 or 4 USA's, a Japanese version and the Mexican build. As stated, the Mexi-versions couldn't even come close. The USA's had the sweetest neck position tones I've ever heard. Like velvet. Can't remember what was in the neck- a SD  '59 or a Dimarzio. Really regretted my aversion to 22 frets and decked Floyds on those.

For those of you who have had both the USA’s and the Japanese models, I have a question. I’ve seen/heard that the Japanese models had a more rolled fretboard edge that a lot of players really liked due to the comfort factor. Some have even preferred the Japanese built charvels over the USA’s for that reason. What are your opinions on comparing the two...?

16 hours ago, diablo175 said:

The USA's had the sweetest neck position tones I've ever heard. Like velvet. Can't remember what was in the neck- a SD  '59 or a Dimarzio. Really regretted my aversion to 22 frets and decked Floyds on those.

IIRC, this issue of So-Cals had Tone Zone/Evolution pups. 

2 hours ago, Travis said:

For those of you who have had both the USA’s and the Japanese models, I have a question. I’ve seen/heard that the Japanese models had a more rolled fretboard edge that a lot of players really liked due to the comfort factor. Some have even preferred the Japanese built charvels over the USA’s for that reason. What are your opinions on comparing the two...?

I’ll do an in-hand comparison with the bubs-sicle, Japan model when the new one gets here. Might not be the best test-bed, as the Jpn Charvel has a fuller carve and an ebony board. 

I’ve owned a handful of usa pro mods when they first came out.   Back then you could grab them for $500-600 used.  Good times.   Thought they sounded great although did have a couple problems with control and trem covers stuck to the finish  (knocking them out too fast?).   I did very much like the rolled fret ends and the direct mount pickups  of the MIJ series.     Mexico.  Had a couple.   Did not like the first year or so (just felt cheap) but have noticed a definite uptick in quality in the last year or two.    I currently have a white MIM hardtail that a previous owner tricked out with a dimarzio X2N and sperzels.  Dig it. Good bang for the buck.  

Great guitars. Had a USA so cal in Pagan Gold. I regret selling it, but I didn’t appreciate Floyd’s (I still think they’re fugly). It was a new old stock that was marked down severely. They slow released the different finish options. Some sold, some were gold and their sales went cold ;)

• 2 weeks later...

That's a, "Grover Jackson" RI, that Grover/FMIC did in the late 2000's. Idea was to replicate the late-70s San Dimas Charvels, down to the last detail. They originally came in those hideous, blood-splatter (red or blue(!)) over white paint jobs. The previous owner rightly had it redone in a beautiful, pearl white. P/U is a Dean Leslie West Mountain of Tone. The original, NOS brass bridge (Kahler, they still make these for Charvel) was a bit grotty. It was removed and replaced with a KGC brass bridge with keyhole saddles. Hipshot Griplok tuners. It stays in tune really well, and the decked bridge has a nice, smooth whammy action. E-flat tuning.

1 hour ago, RobB said:

That's a, "Grover Jackson" RI, that Grover/FMIC did in the late 2000's. Idea was to replicate the late-70s San Dimas Charvels, down to the last detail. They originally came in those hideous, blood-splatter (red or blue(!)) over white paint jobs. The previous owner rightly had it redone in a beautiful, pearl white. P/U is a Dean Leslie West Mountain of tone. The original, NOS brass bridge (Kahler, they still make these for Charvel) was a bit grotty. It was removed and replaced with a KGC brass bridge with keyhole saddles. Hipshot Griplok tuners. It stays in tune really well, and the decked bridge has a nice, smooth whammy action. E-flat tuning.

Love it! Nice mods and perfect thing to do to the finish on most of those Legacy Series  :)

10 hours ago, RobB said:

Awaiting, "Our American Cousin..."

IMG_0363.JPG

"Expected Delivery Friday." This is going to be a LONNNNNG week. *Sigh*

That White single pup is awesome!! What model is that called???

7 minutes ago, MCChris said:

What's all that bullshit on the headstock? 

A hair tie. You know? To tie the hair back.

I'd explain further, but I'll wait for an excoriating reply first.

4 hours ago, RobB said:

DF4CC24E-360C-4D66-999B-9DE26B732578.jpeg

16 hours ago, RobB said:

Well, I ain't got no hair no mo', so....

What about the bullshit under the high E tuner?

That’s a hex wrench. It attaches with a magnet. The hair tie stops the sympathetic pinging of the strings behind the nut whilst playing the brootalz. It really comes in handy with high-gain tones. 

I got a chuckle from the lady at the beauty supply store. I bought a package of the ties and said, “these are for my pony tail.” She looked up and laughed at my shaved head  

Archived