Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Cruise Bass

I have this friend... looking at Cruise basses (mostly because I'm always talking about how great Hamers are). Any general advice, things to watch for, etc in finding a good Cruise? Are the mid 90's MIK's okay? I see that the USA model sells for $500-1000 with a lot of sold's under $600, this seems like a steal compared to Hamer guitars. Thanks!

I second holding out for a US version, especially at the prices they come in at.  Also, recognize there is a 1st Gen and 2nd Gen. Cruise bass.  1st Gen was set neck and a totally different beast, harder to find and more expensive.  The 2nd Gen is the more JB looking version, and came in both a 2Tek bridge or a Gotoh bridge config.  The 2 Teks are generally heavier, but apparently have sustain for days, though I personally have not been fortunate enough to play one.

The first generation Cruise Bass had a full size Gibson-ish neck.  The nut width was a standard 1 5/8" like a Precision Bass.  The second generation Cruise Bass was a higher quality version of a Jazz Bass with a narrower nut and thinner neck. 

May have a 2nd gen 2tek CB w/ OHSC ready for sale soon... New Bass Amp Day and other things in works may require sale...  (Bass has a little bit more greenish tint in person..)

s-l1600.jpg

One caveat I will add to 2nd gen neck sizes...the 4 string models have the slender J-bass profile, but the 5 string models have a fuller asymetrical profile (it's fuller/rounder on the bass string side and a little more oval/flatter on the treble string side).  I'm a guitar player who if need be can hack his way through a gig as a mediocre at best bass player, but when I play my 2nd Gen Cruise 4 string and then my 2nd Gen Cruise 5 string back to back I quickly realize just how much more I really like the way Hamer shaped the 2nd gen 5 string Cruise neck.  The 4 string neck feels more traditional, the 5 string more "boutique"...again, I'm not a real bass player though YMMV.

20 minutes ago, holLoWskull said:

One caveat I will add to 2nd gen neck sizes...the 4 string models have the slender J-bass profile, but the 5 string models have a fuller asymetrical profile (it's fuller/rounder on the bass string side and a little more oval/flatter on the treble string side).  I'm a guitar player who if need be can hack his way through a gig as a mediocre at best bass player, but when I play my 2nd Gen Cruise 4 string and then my 2nd Gen Cruise 5 string back to back I quickly realize just how much more I really like the way Hamer shaped the 2nd gen 5 string Cruise neck.  The 4 string neck feels more traditional, the 5 string more "boutique"...again, I'm not a real bass player though YMMV.

Perfect description... The 2nd gen 5-string CB's had a asymmetrical neck design similar to the original Tobias Basses in the late 80's/early 90's... 2nd gen 4-string CBs exhibit (IMHO) a slightly narrower J-Bass neck profile

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2020 at 9:51 AM, LefThanDed said:

Ist Gen trussrod cover spelling?

20200313_104910.jpg

Yup, that's the correct script/spelling on the truss rod cover for the 1st Gen model (I have an '85 model with the same truss rod cover).

5 hours ago, Sugar said:

What’s the scoop on PJ cruise basses

4-string 1st Gen Cruisebasses had a passive P/J pickup setup as stock, they started out as Dimarzios with visible poles...my '85 has the same P/J configuration and is passive too, but the pole pieces aren't visible on those pickups (from what I've seen elsewhere, they appear to be original to the bass), apparently Hamer switched over to something different in the mid '80's.  Does anybody know what exactly Hamer went to for those 'newer' bass pickups?

1 hour ago, crunchee said:

Yup, that's the correct script/spelling on the truss rod cover for the 1st Gen model (I have an '85 model with the same truss rod cover).

4-string 1st Gen Cruisebasses had a passive P/J pickup setup as stock, they started out as Dimarzios with visible poles...my '85 has the same P/J configuration and is passive too, but the pole pieces aren't visible on those pickups (from what I've seen elsewhere, they appear to be original to the bass), apparently Hamer switched over to something different in the mid '80's.  Does anybody know what exactly Hamer went to for those 'newer' bass pickups?

What would they be comparable to for any current production brands products quality wise?

8 hours ago, Sugar said:

What would they be comparable to for any current production brands products quality wise?

Other than them being USA Hamers, I have no idea.  35+ years difference (give or take) makes apples and oranges even more appley and orangey.

Good luck finding a 'current' bass that's mahogany bodied with a set mahogany neck.  Besides maybe Gibson.  Or Kiesel/Carvin, if you don't mind a neck-thru bass.

Back in the day, 1st Gen Cruisebasses had their following...they were also a fairly new item too, back when music and fashions were different:  B) :lol:

13 hours ago, crunchee said:

Back in the day, 1st Gen Cruisebasses had their following...they were also a fairly new item too, back when music and fashions were different:  B) :lol:

Modern English: I Melt With You

20200616_084328.jpg

Archived