Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Television- Marquee Moon

You're just hearing this now? Better late than never, I guess. Television was a phenom in the 70's, but one that had a pretty short shelf-life before it ebbed away.

Glad you're digging it, though. Whole album is solid, so get listening - a desert island top 10 for me...

7 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Hey, i'm only 41. ;) I need you guys to tip me off to the stuff that was good, but maybe didn't stand the test of time. 

The later part of the 70's until 1985 or so is all a blur so I am no help to you. Now get off my yard kid! 😁

They're definitely one of those how-would-you-know-if-nobody-told-you kind of bands, they were ahead of their time when this album was released and a lot of people my age didn't hear about them until later bands cited them as an influence.  I think I got turned onto them in the 90s from Steve Malkmus (Pavement) listing Tom Verlaine (Television) as one of the people who made him want to start playing guitar.

Man, I've played those three Television albums so I amost wore them out. Even the 1992 reunion album is great. I came to realise just now that I have not heard the live album. Need to check that one out. Tom Verlaine has done some great solo albums too. I picked up a bunch of them in 2nd hand vinyl shops. Very much worth checking out. Richard Lloyd is a killer guitarplayer. But Tom is not bad either. Richard and Robert Quine, those two guys pretty much defined the New York guitar sound.

Edit: I just remembered this from Richard Lloyds homepage. About how he recorded his 2nd solo album in Stockholm, Sweden in the mid 80's. It's a good read.
https://richardlloyd.com/rlnotes.htm

21 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Hey, i'm only 41. ;) I need you guys to tip me off to the stuff that was good, but maybe didn't stand the test of time. 

Henry Gross “Plug Me Into Something” Les Paul and a wide open Princeton. No effects but reverb and he plays the hell outa the LP. Not even recognizable to his later stuff. He tears it up!! Great vocal’s and it’s hard to find. You have to buy the album directly from Henry Gross. You love the Princeton tone... you’ll like this album!! Around 1972.

On 3/12/2020 at 6:56 PM, bubs_42 said:

Some Marc Bolan for some Saturday night groove.

I know I may get skinned, but Television is one of the only bands that came out of that whole 70s/CBGB/Punk scene that I really like beyond the odd song here and there. The song "Marquee Moon" just has some kind of thing that hits my in an uncomfortable yet deep way.  I have no idea why because it has no association with anyone I ever dated, but it gives me the exact same feeling I've had a few times in my life waking up next to someone I really cared about and both being happy and knowing it won't last even though nothing has happened.

Haven't listened to it in a couple of years until this post, and it still conjures that emotion. No idea why, but good songwriting is just kinda magical like that I guess. 

On 3/13/2020 at 10:14 AM, Dutchman said:

Henry Gross “Plug Me Into Something” Les Paul and a wide open Princeton. No effects but reverb and he plays the hell outa the LP. Not even recognizable to his later stuff. He tears it up!! Great vocal’s and it’s hard to find. You have to buy the album directly from Henry Gross. You love the Princeton tone... you’ll like this album!! Around 1972.

I bought this album, thanks for the tip. I totally forgot that I have a Vintage Guitar with interview and collection review on Henry Gross. 

Knew it!  Listened to this song and went to bed shortly there after.  I had the weirdest damn dreams about an recent ex, a bar I used to go to burning down, and all kinds of stuff around those two things all night.  

I really didn’t care for Television. They were thrown into the punk movement and if I wanted to listen to punk, the Ramones and the Dead Boys were my choices. The Dead Boys are a very underrated band IMO. 

Since posting I listened to more of their albums and they moved pretty quickly from the sound on that album. Henry Gross as well, albums before and after are nothing like the one album. I think he just made a pit stop and made an album that marked that time and moved on. Great stuff by both of them, can't wait to here the albums with headphones. 

Archived