Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So guys, now that we're Morlocks -

What guitar related shit are you up to to pass the time?  I picked up an old Late San Dimas/Early Ontario Jackson Dinky with the Pow Zap graphic to screw around with a bit restoring.  It's an odd duck as it has only one pup but the mid boost circuit and a tone knob from the factor.  Maple board that looks 35 years old as well, which - and I know some people think dirty board are the coolest - I am going to have to figure out how to clean up. 

I also plan to eat the odd Eloi. 

HA! I'm still in the building... for now. But kinda really hoping we get sent home and told to hunker down for a spell. Students are mighty rammy- the stupid has been exceptionally high in the last few days. Maybe a combination of the virus anxiety, an earlier full moon, and responding to their parents' losing their shit because of the market drop coupled with the prospect of having to work at home while their hormonal-y carbonated, precious darlings are trapped inside, too. Ya know, like, have to actually parent a full day or more, without reprieve or respite.

That said, I have two things going on: learning Alice Coopers Poison (no easy task, BTW) and fleshing out some parts on writing our 6th original tune, Moonshot Stopwatch, still very much in it's developmental stages. I'm hoping I don't get too much time to work on those.  :P

57 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

What guitar related shit are you up to to pass the time?  I picked up an old Late San Dimas/Early Ontario Jackson Dinky with the Pow Zap graphic to screw around with a bit restoring.  It's an odd duck as it has only one pup but the mid boost circuit and a tone knob from the factor.  Maple board that looks 35 years old as well, which - and I know some people think dirty board are the coolest - I am going to have to figure out how to clean up. 

I also plan to eat the odd Eloi. 

Oooh!!! Pics!!!

For a song Life in the Fast Lane, lot’s more stuff in that song than what appears in the opening riff. I got it dialed in to where I can teach all the parts. Then for actually learning I’ve been working on Alt chords. And playing lead over them. 
I’ve got stuff for amp ideas but just  writing down schematic ideas. Probly end up with expensive smoke!!

Being a Morlock doesn't seem too bad...until I realized that reality isn't quite like Sci-Fi artwork done in 1950 by some guy named Virgil:  :rolleyes: :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morlock#/media/File:The_Time_Machine_by_Virgil_Finlay_2.png

I've got a few vintage lap steels, maybe I'll finally start learning lap steel like I've been wanting to do.  That should make my neighbors happy.  :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, crunchee said:

Being a Morlock doesn't seem too bad...until I realized that reality isn't quite like Sci-Fi artwork done in 1950 by some guy named Virgil:  :rolleyes: :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morlock#/media/File:The_Time_Machine_by_Virgil_Finlay_2.png

I've got a few vintage lap steels, maybe I'll finally start learning lap steel like I've been wanting to do.  That should make my neighbors happy.  :ph34r:

He's going to eat her, you know, and not in the fun way.

I had actually just emailed Mike to investigate getting a Super C built, but the trip got axed, kinda pulling the plug on that for now.  Old Jackson's are pretty fun though.

My favorite practice "guitar" for the last bunch of months has been a 6-string banjo.  I've always wanted a 5-string and have enjoyed playing the 6 so much I finally broke down and bought one last month.  I'll be working on my picking style.

14 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Gotta clean that board up and figure out why the tone knob is not working. 

60566092323__6A42F9CD-2241-4F52-B845-B3F1B5DDBED0.JPG

DOOD!  That maple boarded Jackson is sick!!! What kind of trem is on it? Looks to be a Floyd type but is it a genuine OFR or a lic'd Jackson version?

ETA-  In today's work emails from the district, they all but declared we will be working from home and buildings closed, starting on Monday. Looks like I'ma get some time to work on those projects mentioned above. 

15 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Gotta clean that board up and figure out why the tone knob is not working. 

60566092323__6A42F9CD-2241-4F52-B845-B3F1B5DDBED0.JPG

LOVE that maple boarded dinky!!!

I’d keep it dirty if it were me, but it’s your guitar, do what you like. 

I also never really cared for the active mid boost Jackson used. I ripped it out of my Charvel 650xl years ago...

Have to figure out why my Sustainer Chap no longer wants to sustain. I put a pair of fresh 9V's in it last night and the sustainer still didn't work so I suspect a broken wire somewhere.

I also have a Steinberger spirit with Variax electronics and a graphite neck that needs to be put back together. A buddy painted the body for me and I just haven't gotten around to putting it all back together. 

We're gonna do a Facebook Live concert next Friday on the back porch, so it'll be fun working out the logistics. We already had some international blogger share it, so maybe better turnout than the gig that was just canceled.

I'll write songs.

Mostly just work as usual, but with Missus Polara and Little Teen Polara home. I can do my evil marketing stuff from freakin' space if I need to, so it's not a huge burden.

5 hours ago, diablo175 said:

DOOD!  That maple boarded Jackson is sick!!! What kind of trem is on it? Looks to be a Floyd type but is it a genuine OFR or a lic'd Jackson version?

ETA-  In today's work emails from the district, they all but declared we will be working from home and buildings closed, starting on Monday. Looks like I'ma get some time to work on those projects mentioned above. 

I believe it is a JT-6 with the locks behind the nut.  I never use the bar enough to get things too out of whack, so as long as it works about as well as a strat trem, I'm good.  Definitely the weirdest Floyd variant I've messed with. 

4 hours ago, Travis said:

LOVE that maple boarded dinky!!!

I’d keep it dirty if it were me, but it’s your guitar, do what you like. 

I also never really cared for the active mid boost Jackson used. I ripped it out of my Charvel 650xl years ago...

A lot of folks do seem to rip it out, but I love it.  I like that cocked wah thing a lot though. 

3 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

I believe it is a JT-6 with the locks behind the nut.  I never use the bar enough to get things too out of whack, so as long as it works about as well as a strat trem, I'm good.  Definitely the weirdest Floyd variant I've messed with. 

A lot of folks do seem to rip it out, but I love it.  I like that cocked wah thing a lot though. 

Yup, it’s the JT-6. I “believe” a Floyd or at least a schaller is a direct replacement. But yes, if all you want is “about as well as a strat trem” then you’re totally good with the JT-6. 

10 minutes ago, Travis said:

Yup, it’s the JT-6. I “believe” a Floyd or at least a schaller is a direct replacement. But yes, if all you want is “about as well as a strat trem” then you’re totally good with the JT-6. 

I've tried to at least get into the Dime squeal thing, but I just can't do em.  About the best I can do is diving on a good artificial harmonic, which seems to rarely knock things out of tune so bad that, worst case, slapping the bar back the other direction doesn't fix it. 

I've gotten pretty fast at restringing a FR though, and I like that I could still, in theory, learn all of that.  How big a bitch would it be to put an actual locking nut on?

All right, here's something @diablo175 and @Travis - 

What's a cost effective drop in for a JT-6 that would be an upgrade from pot metal but not necessarily the tits?  I'm not looking to play in a Pantera cover band, but just to have something that works for the above and is a little hardier than these things. 

And, as I understand it, a JT6 isn't trem spaced.  Is that going to fuck me up?  Opinions vary. 

I will write and record after work each day...oh, and after working out in the home gym. Lots of ideas for the 2021 album. I need to get my 2020 blues rock record released. Just waiting on album pics... it is called 8-Track Cadillac.

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

All right, here's something @diablo175 and @Travis - 

What's a cost effective drop in for a JT-6 that would be an upgrade from pot metal but not necessarily the tits?  I'm not looking to play in a Pantera cover band, but just to have something that works for the above and is a little hardier than these things. 

And, as I understand it, a JT6 isn't trem spaced.  Is that going to fuck me up?  Opinions vary. 

My understanding is that a schaller or Floyd with the 42mm block is a direct replacement. I’ve heard of some very rare instances where a touch of route needed to be shaved a hair but that’s not not all the time. 

The design of then JT6 is sound. It’s  more a matter of the cheap, shitty metal they used. 

I think this is as clean as it's getting.  Worked it over with #0000 and naphtha a few times, oiled it, and shined it with a Dremel pad.  A little patina is cool - I just didn't want all that old skin and finger grease from someone else on there. 

IMG_2212.jpg

Archived