Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wilkinson VSV to Mann made trem on Mirage (INSTALLED!)

Travis

I’ve searched several times for the thread I had posted a while back that had the answer but can’t seem for the life of me to be able to find it. 

before I pull the trigger I just want to be sure (I’m 97% sure but want to be positive)

its the Mann made vintage trem that is a direct replacement for the Wilkinson vsv in the mirage, right...?

4 hours ago, Travis said:

I’ve searched several times for the thread I had posted a while back that had the answer but can’t seem for the life of me to be able to find it. 

I believes you gots the right answer señor; I think this was what you were looking for, no?

10 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I believes you gots the right answer señor; I think this was what you were looking for, no?

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Methanks go to you...

The older FIshman VMV Powerbridges I've used were originally made by MannMade.  Both bridges I've installed were a near perfect replacement in terms of both trem block length and screw spacing for the stock Mirage Wilkinson bridge used on Mirages (even though they don't have the one elongated hole like the Wilkinson units do).  I will give you one word of caution if your new bridge comes with 6 mounting screws that have a groove in them just below the screw head (lets the knife edges of the the screw holes in the bridge operate VERY smooth) and should you decide to use them vs. the stock Mirage/Wilkie ones be EXTREMELY careful tightening them into the body of the guitar.  It's easy to shear the screw head right off if you tighten them too quickly or with excessive force (ask me how I know!).   *MY OPINION*  it's worth the mild hassle to install those screws vs. using the stock ones, and the extra girth in tone the MannMade adds over the stock bridge is nice on a 'slightly bright sounding from the factory' Mirage.  

19 hours ago, holLoWskull said:

The older FIshman VMV Powerbridges I've used were originally made by MannMade.  Both bridges I've installed were a near perfect replacement in terms of both trem block length and screw spacing for the stock Mirage Wilkinson bridge used on Mirages (even though they don't have the one elongated hole like the Wilkinson units do).  I will give you one word of caution if your new bridge comes with 6 mounting screws that have a groove in them just below the screw head (lets the knife edges of the the screw holes in the bridge operate VERY smooth) and should you decide to use them vs. the stock Mirage/Wilkie ones be EXTREMELY careful tightening them into the body of the guitar.  It's easy to shear the screw head right off if you tighten them too quickly or with excessive force (ask me how I know!).   *MY OPINION*  it's worth the mild hassle to install those screws vs. using the stock ones, and the extra girth in tone the MannMade adds over the stock bridge is nice on a 'slightly bright sounding from the factory' Mirage.  

The MM dropped into my Daytona.  Should drop into the Mirage.  And in my first go, I did shear the head off a screw.  An e-mail explaining what happened and another set of screws were in the mail in no time.     

1 hour ago, BubbaVO said:

The MM dropped into my Daytona.  Should drop into the Mirage.  And in my first go, I did shear the head off a screw.  An e-mail explaining what happened and another set of screws were in the mail in no time.     

And you got the vintage vibrato bridge which dropped right in?

I ordered 1 Mann vintage trem. Now the question is: which mirage do I install it into first, 1 or 2...?

53 minutes ago, holLoWskull said:

If it were me and I had the dilemma of two guitars you enjoy playing equally but only have one MM trem...I'd install it in the brighter and/or thinner sounding of the two.  The MM adds a little more 'beef' IMO.

That’s good advice. Both the Mirage I and 2 are loaded with @JGravelin‘s pickups so they both sound awesome. It might come down to a coin toss...

It came today! Guess I know one thing I’ll be doing this weekend...

now, a decision must be made...

0AE38096-F0D4-4868-9077-FBB4476E5B1C.jpeg

F1F2D8FB-9C99-43A4-9A8C-8C52596EA6D8.jpeg

3 hours ago, holLoWskull said:

Just go easy with the screw installation...it can quickly dampen the fun when you see a screw head spin off the screw body.

Why are the screws so fragile? Are they brass?

16 minutes ago, RobB said:

Why are the screws so fragile? Are they brass?

My understanding is because of the groove under the heads where the bridge plate is to be positioned. Because it’s a smaller diameter it’s inherently weaker. 

1B869F4E-B0F8-4C2D-A080-6DBC8E70A6BD.png

2 minutes ago, RobB said:

That makes sense. Guess you have to be spot-on straight down and slowly turn the screw.

Whoever thought you'd be better
At turning a screw than me
I do it for my life....

- Dave Mustaine “Mechanix”

I was going to go with Travis's explanation too...less metal, less strength.  As for what they're made of...I honestly don't know?  If I were to guess I'd guess zinc plated (cheapo) steel?  So any initial impressions of the new tremolo?

Went with he Mirage 2. Big improvement. Sounds huge, much beefier. Trem is WAY smoother...

Super simple install. I did need to deepen the holes for the 6 screws and then widen the top just a hair for the new screws to fit. 

And did I say that the function is super SMOOTH...?

F0EB86E5-298A-4FC2-9863-3D456FDE90D4.jpeg

CFCCF5D7-4805-4B28-8505-FE90190D8E9E.jpeg

Archived