Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: 1970 Fender Telecaster at DGS

I love the look of a old worn Fender Telecasters,body wear and fingerboard wear,I think they look so cool. I have owned a few but I have always sold them, just something about that guitar that just does not feel like home for me.  Love to look at them but that is about it....................this IS a very cool guitar and I had one just like it long ago..............HAD.

Not leaving the house.

Besides, me and Teles have an agreement: If they stop giving me G.A.S, I'll stop trying to figure out how to make one sound right. So far, we're both holding up our ends.

My fear, after 34 years of being a "Strat guy" is my perfect Strat is in reality a Tele.

OTOH: does anyone else remember the sheer disdain these 70's Fenders were met with back in the 80's? I marvel now at how highly regarded they seem to be. Granted, there were good and bad in all of them, but these prices!

ETA: this particular one doesn't suffer the "northern ash" issue of competing with Gibson contemporaries for "heaviest instrument." My S9 Strat was close to 10 lbs!

• 2 weeks later...

For comparison (and again, no affiliation), DGS Madison just recently got in a 'typical' '79 Strat...blonde finish, ash body, 9.8 lbs (AKA about 9 lbs 13 oz) with weight relief...needs a refret, so apparently the weight didn't prevent someone from playing it.  Check out the photos of the interior routs:

https://davesguitar.com/products/fender/stratocaster-79-madison-608-405-8770/

I have my 73 Tele from high school. Traded for it  in 73 with another kid who actually couldn’t play. He had it but no amp. I had a shitty ss amp and a shitty electric, a Harmony maybe. He was happy. He just wanted to make noise .. he was an eccentric artist type. 
Mine is clear ash and a little over 9lbs. I don’t actually use it much but I’m glad I have it. Sentimental reasons I guess. 

I do recall being pleased with how it cut through the mix on stage back then. 

• 3 months later...

Nearly four months later, and it's at DGS again, if you missed it the first time.  Still no affiliation.  Same DGS item code as before, so it's apparently the same one:

https://davesguitar.com/products/fender/tele-70/

Edited to add:  The measurements in the description (weight and neck size) are slightly different than before, but that might be within the margin of error?  At least they checked (again) to be sure.

spacer.png

Looks like you'd need to add the cost of a re-fret to the price.  For less money, I'd prefer a current Custom Shop '51 NoCaster.  

No disrespect to Dave, he's among the elite in the business.

Archived