Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Whats your best pick hand practice?

Practicing a fast metallica style riff. Trying to get it right and tight. 

Whats your best pick hand practice routines for fast riffs? 

Whats your favourite fast riff pick design and thickness? 

2 hours ago, Disturber said:

Whats your favourite fast riff pick design and thickness? 

(Insert masturbation joke here)

love these picks, only ones I’ve used for maybe 15 years now...

https://www.jimdunlop.com/tortex-pitch-black-jazz-iii-pick-1-14mm/

53 minutes ago, Travis said:

(Insert masturbation joke here)

love these picks, only ones I’ve used for maybe 15 years now...

https://www.jimdunlop.com/tortex-pitch-black-jazz-iii-pick-1-14mm/

I use the red jazz III Dunlops. Most of the time. 

24 minutes ago, Disturber said:

I use the red jazz III Dunlops. Most of the time. 

THIS ^^^^^:)

On 3/14/2020 at 3:07 PM, brddg said:

I was a Dunlop loyalist for decades. A few years ago a friend turned me onto these. Live longer and feel better. Total win. Give it a shot. 
https://www.davapick.com/

I have a bunch of those........................................The older ones.They must have changed the plastic "FORMULA" [Like they did with the original Dunlop Jazz IIIs which area darker red in color] The older DAVA picks I have are darker in color than the new ones. They are a good pick and I use them also now and then. FAALc3y.jpg

On 3/14/2020 at 3:22 PM, ARM OF HAMER said:

I have a bunch of those........................................The older ones.They must have changed the plastic "FORMULA" [Like they did with the original Dunlop Jazz IIIs which area darker red in color] The older DAVA picks I have are darker in color than the new ones. They are a good pick and I use them also now and then. FAALc3y.jpg

Got picks?

On 3/14/2020 at 7:10 AM, Disturber said:

I always found that the various segments that comprise "Master of Puppets" were good for practicing fast riffing and alternate picking, even if you slow it down.  Hetfield's solo during the slow tempo interlude is a bonus for practicing melodic passages.  Also serves as evidence that he should be the primary soloist in that band. 

2 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

I always found that the various segments that comprise "Master of Puppets" were good for practicing fast riffing and alternate picking, even if you slow it down.  Hetfield's solo during the slow tempo interlude is a bonus for practicing melodic passages.  Also serves as evidence that he should be the primary soloist in that band. 

True. But pentatonics and wah pedal go with everything. Apparently 

My legato is for-shit... it’s basically non existent in my bag of tricks. However, my picking skills aren’t too shabby and they are featured heavily in almost every bag of trick I use.

To keep up my speed chops into my late forties, I do a simple exercise of the ol’ regular three notes per string scale.

The only twist is that I run across the scale two strings at a time. The lower string gets muted but the higher string does not. I do an up-up pattern and also an up-up-down-down pattern. Those two patterns get me through most picking situations... every now and then, I will use a down-down pattern starting in reverse with the higher string first (using the same three note scale taken at two strings a time).

As far as left hand shapes go... I don’t know any scales so I use shapes like George Lynch does. I’ll do all combinations of index+middle+pinky as well as index+ring+pinky... root-half-whole step, root-whole-half step & root-whole-whole step.

All picking is alternate and I will mix in double single accent notes during the up-up-down-down pattern (my favorite).

I stand in front of the television and run these exercises while watching some stimulating content on the tv. This way, the exercises get stored in deep directories in my brain... the most intense is when I practice while playing jeopardy. lolz

My practice sessions last an hour and these picking exercises comprise approximately 25% of my practice sessions. I start out with these exercises and pepper the session with these bursts of picking speed and accuracy exercises.

Yeah Man!

There is a ton of cool stuff in that music, and really easy to organize metrically. Especially when you look at the transcriptions.

99 percent of everything is the mixture of divisions of 16th notes and triplets.

Every group of 16ths is 4 divisions of a beat. Start by playing all of them, then picking 134 for the “Metal Gallop” (while maintaining the prescribed Down up Down up pattern),  and 123 for the “Reverse Gallop”.

Practice with a metronome on one note, holding a fretted G, or riffing on an open E.

1 - E - + - A  ,  1 2 3 4 , Down up Down up (All 4 16th notes)

1 -  -  + - A , 1 . 3 4 , Down . Down up (Metal Gallop)

1 - E - + ,  1 2 3 . , Down up Down (Reverse Gallop)

Their early thrashy stuff heavily depends on these, then uses longer combinations (8, 12, or 16 16th notes in varying combinations, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, etc), and ”...And Justice” goes off into lots of odd times, but also riffing using simple combinations of the previous 16ths and 16th-note-triplets a la “One”.

Archived