Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Telecaster Build: I'm stuck

And finished... maybe. LOL I tried all kinds of wiring mods and this and that. Finally I said screw and wired it like a Jr. Pickup straight to the pot, tone knob 50's style. Josh's hot Broadcaster pickup KILLS! I have the matching neck pickup, but this guitar is a hot rod, 4 to the floor kinda ride. 

90's MIJ Foto Flame Neck

MJT 3.14 lbs VVT Body

Gotoh Aged Hardware

EVH 250K Pots

Gravelin Killer Wind Broadcaster Pup. I've had it on the shelf for a while. I'm so stuck on the Dimarizo Hot T that I haven't been open to going back to anything else. The Gravelin Pickup is so quiet you would think it was a noiseless or stacked. A flat out rocking pickup! 

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Travis said:

ESQUIRE!!!

I'm thinking Esquire with a Haggard style pick guard and maybe a Tele Sized Humbucker? That is a tough one, because I don't do rail pickups. Maybe a Lil Pearly Gates with a series/parallel option. 

7 minutes ago, killerteddybear said:

P90 neck and a hot bridge pup.
Yowl and howl.

Yes! A good combination. Hot B helps to balance it.

Example.....49662267388_fa0638db94_b.jpg

2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I have two Telecaster and had every intention of swapping the body on my #1 with this MJT Body. Well I like that guitar the way it is, and now i'm trying to decide if I should sell this body and do a Strat or another telecaster with a different pickup arrangement. 

I'm thinking of ordering a Cabronita Body, Hum/Hum or two Mini Hum Body. 

Pickguard is just for show. 

3taPhBvl.jpg?1

Get a Prince sticker on eBay and turn the purple and black body into a Prince Tribute Tele:

spacer.png

22 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

I'm thinking Esquire with a Haggard style pick guard and maybe a Tele Sized Humbucker? That is a tough one, because I don't do rail pickups. Maybe a Lil Pearly Gates with a series/parallel option. 

I had josh wind me a set of single coils for my mirage, with a p90 flavor. The bridge is HOT (10k), humbucker territory. If I didn’t want a full p90 route then I’d have him wind me another one of those for an esquire build. 

hmm.... 🤔

I love Josh and his pickups, and I used him when I know what it is I want. This one is going to take some trial and error on my part. I think i'll order the haggard esquire guard, pickup ring, shop the bridge and go with Hot Paf style pup. I might order up a blank switch plate and drill one for just a V and a T. 

What about a humbucker sized Tron? 

I used Kinmans in a tele build I finished in December and they’re surprisingly awesome.  His prewired BS is for the birds though. It must have taken a half dozen tries to get things into the control cavity without pins slipping loose or wires pulling out of the PCB.  

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Esquire or single pickup cabronita is less and will get the job done...   😜

I think that is where this is going. Cabronita Esquire!  Brosquire! can I trademark that? 

@cynic I had a Daytona with Kinmans in them, and thought they were awesome pickups. 

The Dimarzio Chopper is a great choice for an Esquire build. With a switch or push/pull pot you can get very good p-90 and humbucker tones.

39 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

TripleTronThornTele.jpg

Hmm...  that pickup arrangement looks kind of familiar. Where have I seen that before...?

😜

Just a suggestion, if you're looking for a Tele body with multiple pickup capabilities: look at used Fender USA Tele bodies for sale.  In recent years, Fender USA has been quietly making bodies with 'expanded' pickup capability, all done at the factory.  My 2014 Factory 'Sandblasted' Tele Special has a factory routed cavity in the body for the front pickup that is big enough for a HB installation, even though it has the standard single coil PU as factory standard.  I also have a late 2000s Fender American Standard body that has factory routs for a HB in the front AND a single coil in the middle...I haven't looked to see what's under the factory bridge plate though, so who knows what's there.  Funny how (AFAIK) Fender USA hasn't told anybody about these, the only way I know is by looking under the pickguard!

Edited to add: At least they haven't gone back to 'swimming pool' routes!

@crunchee well I can order an MTJ or other brand by weight, routing and color. I just ordered the standard route on this one to replace a body that I had. I have just decided against replacing that body and want a different setup. The Fender stuff is good, but I don't have time to weed through them and find a nice one and sell off what I don't want. I use older Japan Fender Reissue Necks and Allparts MIJ Necks, the feel and carve are identical to the MIJ Fenders that I love. I bought one that is still waiting for a project, I think I may do another offset or T-Bird in the future. 

I have everything inbound except for the pickup for this build. Can't wait to get started! 

Archived