Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Telecaster Build: I'm stuck

I'll trade ya an Inca Silver MJT Strat body (3lbs 12oz) if you'd rather do a Strat...

MJT Strat Inca Silver 3lb12oz.jpg

MJT Strat Inca Silver Mockup.jpg

MJT Strat Inca Silver.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one of those guards on OTW without the pickup route. I did however find a standard tele guard today in my stash, along with a set of Dimarzio Virtual T Pickups. If I went the standard route I could be done this weekend. 

@cmatthes thanks for the offer, i'll think it over, i'm was really leaning hard toward a hardtail with a large headstock. Like a mid to late 60's Strat. I think that is the exact weight of my tele body too. 

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Damn, I cannot believe this thing still isn't finished. 3 sets of pickups just sitting here, plenty of time, no interest. 

The offer still stands if you want to trade for an Inca Silver MJT Strat body!  😉

I hear you. I’ve got two projects going right now. I’m mostly waiting on parts sup0y, but they’ve definitely been taking way longer than I anticipated. 

PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT PAINT

WHO ON EARTH DECIDED ACRYLIC LACQUER HAD TO BE PUT DOWN LIKE A WOUNDED HORSE?

SAME VIRTUE-SIGNALLING IDIOTS THAT MADE IT WHERE I CAN'T BUY AN INCANDESCENT LIGHT BULB AT WALMART.

{was that out loud?}

My partscaster project ground to a halt when I went to the paint store with the simple task to purchase a half-pint of acrylic lacquer paint.  I did what I used to do forty-odd years ago building a car: waited patiently in line with a half dozen different manufacturer codes for the same color.  I was told 1. we can't find 1957 Mercury Sherwood green and 2. "...acrylic lacquer?  We haven't been able to get lacquer in years!  For a while we could get black and clear, but even that's gone now."  

Stupid me bought the HVLP guns BEFORE I checked to see if paint was available.  Why WOULDN'T PAINT BE AVAILABLEPAINT!  IT'S FREAKING PAINT!  

Honestly, where is the ghost of James Traficant when you need a good, "Beam Me Up Scotty!"?

Now I'm missing the guitar and am strongly considering just putting the thing back together.  I do have a rattle can of John Deere green - s'purty close ain't it?  

Didn’t you settle on a cab Esquire...Brosquire? If not, just throw a beefy 10k broadcaster type in there or have JG wind you his “Keith” pickup...a hot lap steel type that will just rock.

20 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Quit bitching

Pot, kettle.  Kettle, pot.

Actually, I tried that before going to the local PPG supply house.

Reranch - will not ship unless it's in an aerosol can

Gracey's - will not ship unless it's in an aerosol can

TCP Global - will ship, but smallest amount is a quart starting at $150.00

Had some leads from HFCers.  It really does appear urethane is the standard and I'm a luddite for being hesitant to branch out.  It was just the talk back when urethanes first came out was how dangerous they were to spray.  Of course lacquers are almost all solvent, so they're no walk in the park, but urethanes were pitched as being more dangerous. 

Now the only issue is figuring out how to translate the old paint code to urethane.  The guy at the paint store handed me a book...  "see if you see it in here..."

Anyway, back to the Tele, YOUR Tele: isn't the Broadcaster the choice in Tele bridge pickups with the Twisted Tele being that for the neck?

8 minutes ago, velorush said:

Pot, kettle.  Kettle, pot.

Actually, I tried that before going to the local PPG supply house.

Reranch - will not ship unless it's in an aerosol can

Gracey's - will not ship unless it's in an aerosol can

TCP Global - will ship, but smallest amount is a quart starting at $150.00

Had some leads from HFCers.  It really does appear urethane is the standard and I'm a luddite for being hesitant to branch out.  It was just the talk back when urethanes first came out was how dangerous they were to spray.  Of course lacquers are almost all solvent, so they're no walk in the park, but urethanes were pitched as being more dangerous. 

Now the only issue is figuring out how to translate the old paint code to urethane.  The guy at the paint store handed me a book...  "see if you see it in here..."

Anyway, back to the Tele, YOUR Tele: isn't the Broadcaster the choice in Tele bridge pickups with the Twisted Tele being that for the neck?

I have two sets from Josh sitting here and the set of Bill Lawrence Pickups. I may just part it out and sell it off, I just don't need another Tele just like the other two that I have. 

50 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

I have two sets from Josh sitting here and the set of Bill Lawrence Pickups. I may just part it out and sell it off, I just don't need another Tele just like the other two that I have. 

Have you considered [James Earl Jones as Darth Vader voice]the power of three filtertrons? [/James Earl Jones as Darth Vader voice, clutching black-gloved fist in air]

I got the idea from @cmatthes it's a spectacularly different thing altogether!  

tenor.gif?itemid=10318968&f=1&nofb=1

No but I just did a return at GC and then on my way home I stopped by my local shop. They had an Elite on consignment that had the nashville set up. Unfortunately they wanted the NEW Price for it so that's not coming home with me. Goldburst with maple neck, looked killer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Different neck is on the way, as well as an Esquire guard. I'm going to go ahead and stick the pickup that Josh wound for me in the bridge and IF I get bored down the road I will add the matching neck pickup. I think the in the end the Foto Flame neck just didn't belong on this guitar. 

Purple body, white Esquire pickguard, and a Duncan TAPPED QUARTER POUND bridge pickup.  Two pots: volume and spin-a-tap. 

GFS sell a blank Tele control plate you can drill holes in yourself.  They introduced it years ago upon my request, when I was building just such a QP Esquire. 

On 9/14/2020 at 3:26 PM, bubs_42 said:

No but I just did a return at GC and then on my way home I stopped by my local shop. They had an Elite on consignment that had the nashville set up. Unfortunately they wanted the NEW Price for it so that's not coming home with me. Goldburst with maple neck, looked killer. 

You should tell us the name and location of your local shop, so that we can ALL avoid shopping there.  <_<

9 hours ago, crunchee said:

You should tell us the name and location of your local shop, so that we can ALL avoid shopping there.  <_<

Consignments are not the norm as far as pricing goes. I have bought multiple amps and guitars over the years, they treat me good. 

9 hours ago, Rich_S said:

Purple body, white Esquire pickguard, and a Duncan TAPPED QUARTER POUND bridge pickup.  Two pots: volume and spin-a-tap. 

GFS sell a blank Tele control plate you can drill holes in yourself.  They introduced it years ago upon my request, when I was building just such a QP Esquire. 

Thanks Rich, but I already have all my hardware mounted and ready to go. This particular pup is not tapped, and I have the wiring mods already on the table ready to go. 

On 9/22/2020 at 10:27 PM, Rich_S said:

good tip,  grabbed one      I have an esquire build and really just wanted volume and tone.   

bubs,  what did you get for a neck?    

1 hour ago, DaveL said:

good tip,  grabbed one      I have an esquire build and really just wanted volume and tone.   

bubs,  what did you get for a neck?    

On my other two tele's I have very early Fender MIJ Necks, last year I bought an unfinished Allparts neck MIJ that feels exactly like them. So I looked and found a Tinted Allparts neck with the exact specs that I have. Down to the same style of finish, so that is what is on the way. If I through the Foto Flame up on Reverb I should be able to get a good chunk out of it, none of the ones i've seen look anywhere close to as clean as the one I have. That would give me a little money to put toward doing a Hardtail Strat down the line. That project is all laid out in my head I just have to acquire all the pieces. 

3 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

On my other two tele's I have very early Fender MIJ Necks, last year I bought an unfinished Allparts neck MIJ that feels exactly like them. So I looked and found a Tinted Allparts neck with the exact specs that I have. Down to the same style of finish, so that is what is on the way. If I through the Foto Flame up on Reverb I should be able to get a good chunk out of it, none of the ones i've seen look anywhere close to as clean as the one I have. That would give me a little money to put toward doing a Hardtail Strat down the line. That project is all laid out in my head I just have to acquire all the pieces. 

Which specs on your allparts neck?  I just ordered an unfinished FAT tele neck with tall frets from allparts earlier today for my Esquire build. Gonna slap a couple coats of tru oil on it and scuff it down to a satin feel. 

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Which specs on your allparts neck?  I just ordered an unfinished FAT tele neck with tall frets from allparts earlier today for my Esquire build. Gonna slap a couple coats of tru oil on it and scuff it down to a satin feel. 

Vintage 60's Specs, I fell in love with the fell of my MIJ Necks, the later MIJ necks like the Foto Flame is just a touch thicker. 

Neck size isn't just about feel, they have a specific tone tied to the thickness. For me, bigger isn't always better, i'm trying to get the best snap out of the low strings and the sweetest highs off the high strings. Balance across the strings with big chords with enough mid range to fill the tone out without loosing the "Tele" in the guitar. 

One day i'll do a Tele with a Maple neck, but for now i'm sticking with the Rosewood/Maple Combination. 

2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Vintage 60's Specs, I fell in love with the fell of my MIJ Necks, the later MIJ necks like the Foto Flame is just a touch thicker. 

Neck size isn't just about feel, they have a specific tone tied to the thickness. For me, bigger isn't always better, i'm trying to get the best snap out of the low strings and the sweetest highs off the high strings. Balance across the strings with big chords with enough mid range to fill the tone out without loosing the "Tele" in the guitar. 

One day i'll do a Tele with a Maple neck, but for now i'm sticking with the Rosewood/Maple Combination. 

Yup. Totally get you there. I wanted the fat feel for sure. But I also like that thickness that comes from more wood vibrating. Told josh what body wood, bridge and neck I was using and what I was looking for with the sound. He wound the pickup accordingly. I think once I get it slapped together it’s gonna kill. 

only thing I have left to decide is whether I’ll use a pick guard or not, and what style if I do. Sound familiar...?  😉

Archived