Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
bubs_42

Telecaster Build: I'm stuck

Posted (edited)

I have two Telecaster and had every intention of swapping the body on my #1 with this MJT Body. Well I like that guitar the way it is, and now i'm trying to decide if I should sell this body and do a Strat or another telecaster with a different pickup arrangement. 

I'm thinking of ordering a Cabronita Body, Hum/Hum or two Mini Hum Body. 

Pickguard is just for show. 

3taPhBvl.jpg?1

Edited by bubs_42

That thing is badass!  I’d go with a Nashville Tele with a white pickguard. 

• Like 1

ESQUIRE!!!

P90 neck and a hot bridge pup.
Yowl and howl.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Travis said:

ESQUIRE!!!

I'm thinking Esquire with a Haggard style pick guard and maybe a Tele Sized Humbucker? That is a tough one, because I don't do rail pickups. Maybe a Lil Pearly Gates with a series/parallel option. 

I could chop the bridge, route the body for a Humbucker? 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, killerteddybear said:

Yowl and howl.

Yes! A good combination. Hot B helps to balance it.

Example.....49662267388_fa0638db94_b.jpg

Edited by django49
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I have two Telecaster and had every intention of swapping the body on my #1 with this MJT Body. Well I like that guitar the way it is, and now i'm trying to decide if I should sell this body and do a Strat or another telecaster with a different pickup arrangement. 

I'm thinking of ordering a Cabronita Body, Hum/Hum or two Mini Hum Body. 

Pickguard is just for show. 

3taPhBvl.jpg?1

Get a Prince sticker on eBay and turn the purple and black body into a Prince Tribute Tele:

spacer.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

I'm thinking Esquire with a Haggard style pick guard and maybe a Tele Sized Humbucker? That is a tough one, because I don't do rail pickups. Maybe a Lil Pearly Gates with a series/parallel option. 

I had josh wind me a set of single coils for my mirage, with a p90 flavor. The bridge is HOT (10k), humbucker territory. If I didn’t want a full p90 route then I’d have him wind me another one of those for an esquire build. 

hmm.... 🤔

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I love Josh and his pickups, and I used him when I know what it is I want. This one is going to take some trial and error on my part. I think i'll order the haggard esquire guard, pickup ring, shop the bridge and go with Hot Paf style pup. I might order up a blank switch plate and drill one for just a V and a T. 

What about a humbucker sized Tron? 

Edited by bubs_42
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, killerteddybear said:

Yowl and howl.

Another vote.

puff1 smaller.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Get a Prince sticker on eBay and turn the purple and black body into a Prince Tribute Tele:

spacer.pngesquire with White EMG!

Edited by Bennyboy-UK
  • Haha 1

I like using a 5-way switch that gives me all the tele sounds plus a humbucker/P90/mini-hum whatever in the neck.

Tele-SSH5-Way_tdpri_phostenix_3notmine.jpg

Less is more, that nashville set up is great if you looking for lots of sounds for recording. In the heat of battle, live without a net, you need just enough to get the job done. 

• Like 2

Esquire or single pickup cabronita is less and will get the job done...   😜

• Like 2

I used Kinmans in a tele build I finished in December and they’re surprisingly awesome.  His prewired BS is for the birds though. It must have taken a half dozen tries to get things into the control cavity without pins slipping loose or wires pulling out of the PCB.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Travis said:

Esquire or single pickup cabronita is less and will get the job done...   😜

I think that is where this is going. Cabronita Esquire!  Brosquire! can I trademark that? 

@cynic I had a Daytona with Kinmans in them, and thought they were awesome pickups. 

Edited by bubs_42

Posted (edited)

Don't be stuck. Slap a p90 sized Charlie Christian and a good matching low output regular tele pickup.

Edited by 0054
  • Like 1

What’s that body look like without the pick guard?  Be a shame to put holes in it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Dimarzio Chopper is a great choice for an Esquire build. With a switch or push/pull pot you can get very good p-90 and humbucker tones.

TripleTronThornTele.jpg

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

TripleTronThornTele.jpg

Hmm...  that pickup arrangement looks kind of familiar. Where have I seen that before...?

😜

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Just a suggestion, if you're looking for a Tele body with multiple pickup capabilities: look at used Fender USA Tele bodies for sale.  In recent years, Fender USA has been quietly making bodies with 'expanded' pickup capability, all done at the factory.  My 2014 Factory 'Sandblasted' Tele Special has a factory routed cavity in the body for the front pickup that is big enough for a HB installation, even though it has the standard single coil PU as factory standard.  I also have a late 2000s Fender American Standard body that has factory routs for a HB in the front AND a single coil in the middle...I haven't looked to see what's under the factory bridge plate though, so who knows what's there.  Funny how (AFAIK) Fender USA hasn't told anybody about these, the only way I know is by looking under the pickguard!

Edited to add: At least they haven't gone back to 'swimming pool' routes!

Edited by crunchee