Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer String Recommendations (2)

JoeV

Hello, first time on the forum.  Yesterday I acquired two new (to me)  Hamers, a DuoTone, and a black XT.  I plan to restring both, and was looking for recommendations on strings you've had good luck with.  I am thinking flat wound for the DuoTone at least. Also can't seem to locate the standard sizes that they shipped with.

The tone I like is thick, warm, clear, and articulate if finger picking (hows that for a variety -lol).  Not a big fan of the thin, tinny, metalic sound (it has its use, just not for me).

Thanks in advance for your opinions, I know I have a lot to learn. 

Joe

PS - I tried to upload photos, but was having no luck due to file size constraints which I haven't had time to figure out yet.

Finding the right strings is like finding the right woman. You have to pluck a variety of them to find the one you like. I use EB 10-46 All nickel on all my Hamers. I’ve never owned a Duotone so I can’t speak in regards to that. I’d start by using what you like now and then experiment from there!!

Thank you.  I am much more focused on the clean, acoustic tones, with limited focus on the electric side of things.

Interestingly, I didn't realize it had acoustic when I purchased it, as I had picked up a similar Godin about a month ago.

1 hour ago, JoeV said:

@polara What gauge of the zebras did you find most effective with the DuoTone?

Just curious, what did you end up replacing it with?

I used 11s... and sadly it was smashed by Delta on the way back from Europe. However, Delta was great and wrote me a check for replacement value! Is yours a US model?

Thank you.  I am much more focused on the clean, acoustic tones, with limited focus on the electric side of things.

Interestingly, I didn't realize it had acoustic when I purchased it, as I had picked up a similar Godin about a month ago.

Unfortunately it is the Korean made model. 

I use D’Addario NYXLs on my Shishkov and once my current supply of other strings is gone, I’ll use those exclusively on all my guitars. I find them to be THAT good.

For the Duotone I’d recommend Thomastik Infeld Sliders .10s. Nothing else.

I'll second the DR Zebra recommendation IF your primary focus is to get the feel and most of the "acoustic" sound of a piezo equipped acoustic guitar that's plugged into an amp, console, or PA.   I would suggest checking out the version of the  Zebras in 10's (or heavier gauge) that have a phospher bronze wound G string vs. the plain unwound steel G that some of the 10's and lighter gauge DR Zebras have.  If you're more concerned with bending notes easily/overall ease of playability as an electric guitar and still want a passable acoustic sound (of a piezo equipped acoustic guitar that's plugged into an amp, console, or PA) then I think just about any brand of string you normally like to play will do just fine.  Just my $0.02 anyway.

Archived