Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Les Paul for sale plus questions /advice

https://reverb.com/item/31269224-gibson-les-paul-r0-2006-1960-historic-with-darkburst-vos-finish

Check out this killer LP I have for sale!

ANNNNND

A few months ago I decided to sell quite a few guitars I have a dozen or so and I wanted to cut that down to around half. I thought it would be prudent to wait until April when everyone pretty much had their tax stuff figured out.  But now, as we all know, the virus hits, BOOM. Is there any possibility of selling anything now? Should I put guitars up on Reverb now or wait until the economy recovers? Any other selling ideas, or am I just fucked? 

Just wait it out if you can, everything will rebound but right now may not be the best time to sell depending on what you have and if you are willing to take a haircut...this is just my opinion since I went through the 2008-2009 financial crisis.

G

Echo the "wait if you can" advice. Ordinarily, I would say the best time to offer for sale would be in January or Feb. Many people that use their taxes as a forced savings plan get their refunds early and seem to want to spend it as fast as possible. Right now, it seems likely buyers will be extra demanding in search of bargains. And there is a very real concern (IMO) about whether there will be hiccups in shipping services, esp in certain areas....Of which I have some familiarity re a specific parcel hung up for days in NYC at this moment.

Prices will go lower (IMO) before they go up. But there MAY be some deferred demand later, after people see the sudden need for an emergency cash cache to be diminishing.....At some point, many will breathe a sigh of relief and want to "treat" themselves.....I can tell you stories of folks having large stacks of Benjamins immediately after the Y2K crisis fizzled.....And they wanted a new guitar rather than bring it back to the bank.

FWIW, I have six sales pending,  all dependent upon the flows of cash loosening up, some from overseas. And it is just as well NOT having to make extra trips into town to ship out big boxes right now..

you adjusted it,  I would let it roll at that price...  although if you wanted,  you could kill the

reverb ad,  then resubmit it as a new ad,  and it will remove the old price... 

also...  I think people are a little jittery right now... stock markets are nutty,   some hard hit

states could be clamping down on non essential travel...     I don't think we'll see ups taken off

the road, but you never know...     At this point I haven't totally ruled out zombies and locust swarms 

;)  

Regardless of the situation, time your sales when potential buyers are the most flush with cash, like on the 1st and 15th of each month; or on weekends when people are surfing the 'Web, especially now, since there's no sports on TV to distract from online shopping...and in extreme cases, they can't go to movies or concerts, and they can't go to restaurants or bars.  And like django49 said, eventually people will want to 'treat' themselves, and buying something via the Internet is quick and easy when you can't go anywhere or do anything else.

Just remember that if we head into another recession, it may be a long time before you sell for what you have into things.   I remember the dozens of complaints from forum sellers (not here) back in 2008-2011 trying to move R9s and various PRS models they had recently purchased, and they were fire-sale pricing them after a year or more of no bites at what had been “below market” pricing just months before.

12 hours ago, crunchee said:

...especially now, since there's no sports on TV to distract from online shopping...and in extreme cases, they can't go to movies or concerts, and they can't go to restaurants or bars.  And like django49 said, eventually people will want to 'treat' themselves, and buying something via the Internet is quick and easy when you can't go anywhere or do anything else.

That's a great point!

19 hours ago, Camstone said:

I sold two guitars yesterday. They just have to be priced slightly below what you think they are worth. I sold a $3200 guitar for $2850 and a $1000 guitar for $800. 

Or you can wait................

The death of travel plans for this year freed up some cash for me to be one of Cam's buyers (the '91 Sunburst), and I know a lot of friends and family are unexpectedly flush right now for the same reason, so it could work in your favor, too.

On 3/16/2020 at 12:14 PM, Punkavenger said:

A few months ago I decided to sell quite a few guitars I have a dozen or so and I wanted to cut that down to around half. 

Whatever happened to (what was left of) my "cold dead fingers" Strat? 

2 hours ago, velorush said:

Whatever happened to (what was left of) my "cold dead fingers" Strat? 

It went through many different configurations ... it was the only guitar I had for about 5 years ... I let a great musician friend that was broke and had cancer borrow it for a year or so. During that time period I built a strat from parts purchased on Reverb that (quite accidently) ended up being pretty amazing. My friend passed away  (RIP George) I got the guitar back (just barely, his greedy family wanted to keep it) changed all the knobs, pickguard etc out to black (looked really cool) and sold it on Reverb. Thanks for a great guitar! 

The Dow Jones Index has fallen some 36% from its high, only a month ago. I do not see why other assets (houses? guitars? fishing equipment?) cannot fall also, by whatever percentage in each.

JP Morgan estimated yesterday USA's GDP would fall some 4% on Q1 2020, and more than 14% (!!!!) on Q2 2020. 

To put that into perspective, USA's GDP decreased by "only" 12% on the legendary crisis of 1929.

With 20% unemployment rates, what would be the value of guitars? 

58 minutes ago, Jorge said:

The Dow Jones Index has fallen some 36% from its high, only a month ago. I do not see why other assets (houses? guitars? fishing equipment?) cannot fall also, by whatever percentage in each.

JP Morgan estimated yesterday USA's GDP would fall some 4% on Q1 2020, and more than 14% (!!!!) on Q2 2020. 

To put that into perspective, USA's GDP decreased by "only" 12% on the legendary crisis of 1929.

With 20% unemployment rates, what would be the value of guitars? 

$350.

I think we will see a lot of musical equipment hitting the market.  NPR reported this morning that Jazz musicians are going to be hit hard, because all the venues where they play are shutting down.  In my mind it's not just jazz musicians, it's anyone that plays at a night club, small theater, or out door park stage.  Even the churches are shutting down in my town.

Unfortunately I think you may be screwed.  Even if you sell it, if your in California are you not confined to your house or residence.  Unless you live in a car, how will you ship it?

2 minutes ago, ptm1diver said:

Unfortunately I think you may be screwed.  Even if you sell it, if your in California are you not confined to your house or residence.  Unless you live in a car, how will you ship it?

haHaHaHahahahahahahaaaaaaaa ... Talk about the best laid plans go astray ... It was going to be slightly difficult getting what I wanted for these guitars BEFORE the PANDEMIC and STOCK MARKET CRASH.  

Anyway, I've been in worse situations    :)

The desire to "get a bargain" is strong in some people. Any sign of economic turmoil is a further tool to try to seek greater advantage. And waving cash can sway some people. If you don't ask.....

Not completely unlike the "disco era"......Some people decided it was "more efficient" to avoid buying drinks---Just open with "Wanna f**k?" line....Sure, they got their face slapped a lot, but it apparently worked often enough......

I appreciate the "jazz musician" reference above...... In the best of times, that tends to mean, "I hope my WIFE keeps her job". Back about 2008-09, I was selling a 335. Michael (since a good friend) came by with $400 less than I asked. He quickly understood that was not going to happen. But you never know.....Those who are trying to make a fast buck do not mind getting shot down 9 times out of 10. Who knows? The seller may be a crack head looking for fast cash.....He said as much.

Mark, in your case, here is my reference.......I pulled that guitar. A few years later, I sold for $200 more than my original ask. It is good you have the ability to wait.

Up to 2020.....A certain higher end "Singlecut" popped up. Would have been well over $8k originally. Quite likely about $5k (excellent, used) in a "normal market". Seller got no offers, even with multiple price reductions. We chatted a few times. I MIGHT have made an offer, but I kept watching the financial markets decline. Scary shit. After awhile (speaking of the seller  reaching out) he offered to sell for a flat $4k plus shipping, that including an extra pair of "boutique" pickups. It should arrive later today, maybe tomorrow. I might as well enjoy it a while.

On the plus side, I have not been getting as many weird offers as several years back. Strangest? I turned down an offer of a "yellow school bus" in trade for a higher end German guitar. Now THAT was funny.

Good luck!

Archived