Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Heresy, Line 6 Pod Go, anyone look into these?

I have 11 amps, but I think these Line 6 Pod Gos really could be pretty cool, and the price is quite fair, half the price of of Helix LT, and 2/3 of their stomp/FX solutions. The way I understand it, is that it has Helix (minus 3 or so DSP heavy) effects and amps (which sound pretty darn good), but less DSP than Helix and it's own os. It has simplified routing, good for someone looking into modeling....

https://line6.com/podgo/

What do you all think?

• Like 5

I have always had uses for line 6 stuff. As with anything you gotta take it on a case by case basis.

Some of their stuff is great for live (their Tone Core series of pedals was amazing, and you could swap out modules, etc), some of their stuff is great for recording (Pete Anderson was way ahead of the curve and used the original Pod, 2.0, and Pod Pro for a bajillion hit records, then went to all software I believe). Certain of their lines were not, ahem, directed toward my purposes (the Spider series, etc) but I’ve always been really happy with the stuff I sought and bought from them, fwiw.

Ben Shin @burningyen has always been a master at using modeling stuff live, which is a special and useful skill, so definitely interested in his take.

• Like 5

Nice of you to say so, Geoff. I'm definitely a digital convert, but I've been working the dark side for 10+ years and there is a learning curve. The POD Go looks killer. I'd certainly go that route if I were a straight-ahead guitarist and didn't need to process a vocal mic and other instruments. The Helix would feel a little like overkill in that situation given what the POD Go offers.

• Like 4

I currently own a Helix as well as HX stomp.  There will be a learning curve, but there are lots of good YouTube videos that talk about getting good tones on these devices.  Look at what they're doing and apply it to the POD Go.  I like Glenn Delaune and Scott Minchk and Jason Sadites.  The biggest things I learned, were to do a high cut to remove "fizziness" in the sound if you're going direct.  Depending on what kind of tone you use, start at around 6k and adjust to taste.  I've seen some guys go down to 3k and some up to about 10k.  Also, try all the amps - don't just try the ones you use.  Last, if you play live, make adjustments at those volumes, since it'll sound different.  Also, giving a shout out to Ben.  I've purchased a couple of his Helix patches and they're really good.  

• Like 1

I'm not a tone hound.

I've always thought "good enough is good enough" when it comes to tone.

My problem is I couldn't find anything that was good enough across what I wanted to hear from my amp, along with being easy to find the "good enough" tones out of all the choices.

I tried tube amps, solid state amps, the original AxeSys, Spider IV, Johnson Millennium, Kemper, the BIAS head.

All of it was okay, but I just couldn't stand the interfaces, and it was taking too much time to find the tones I wanted.  Not intuitive, for the most part.

The first setup that satisfied me was the AMPLIFi, because the phone app really made it easy to adjust stuff.  But I was underwhelmed with the pedal.

Got a Firehawk FX, and I could find a good enough tone for whatever I wanted within minutes, and tweak it to quite a bit better than good enough within 10 minutes.

I had a chance at a Pod HD500 for cheap, but decided not to because it doesn't have the phone app like the Firehawk does.

Then I got a Variax guitar, and I'm impressed with what it can do.  I have the JTV 69, which sounds great and plays without the variax guitar options. I wanted it to be able to get acoustic guitar sounds for parts of songs with just a button press.  I'm sure I'll find uses for being able to get 12-string sounds, too.  Being able to switch from tele to LP to Rick without changing guitars? Not necessary, and I wouldn't buy the Variax for that, but it's a nice extra.

So reading through this, it sounds like the Pod has the phone app, which is the only reason I didn't swap for the Pod HD500.

I think this probably has better tone than the Firehawk, plus all the extra functions I like, so I see no problem with this. Not heresy at all in my opinion.

I probably won't switch because I'm already happy with the Firehawk.  But if reading what I worked through to get here makes you think about making the leap to Line 6, this Pod Go is probably the best jumping in point now.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I think this probably has better tone than the Firehawk, plus all the extra functions I like, so I see no problem with this.

They say it's using the Helix engine, so the sounds should be really good.  

• Like 3

I'm sure it'll be great.  It's almost certainly gonna sound good and be a lot of fun.

For me, I'd spend the extra on the Stomp or the other Helix models (or the FM3, assuming it ever arrives) just because the extra flexibility makes them even handier for trying out things you read about:

• "Hey, great tone - How'd your get that delay sound?" 
  • "Oh, it's two delays cascaded into each other, one at 375ms and the other at 500ms.  It works for me with BBD analog delays, but tape might be cool too"
  • /me dials it up in about 1 minute "Yup, that's fun!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

Then I got a Variax guitar, and I'm impressed with what it can do.

Ah, that reminds me of one significant shortcoming of the POD Go: no VDI (Variax) input.

23 minutes ago, burningyen said:

Ah, that reminds me of one significant shortcoming of the POD Go: no VDI (Variax) input.

Yeah, I got a Variax Standard when Sweetwater had a good sale on them.  Having acoustic 6 and 12 strings, Rick sounds, etc change without having to fiddle with the guitar controls is pretty awesome.  And it plays pretty well too.  Hate the Strat style trem though.   But, I don't think that's who they're targeting this at, but it's also 1/3 the price of Helix. 

3 hours ago, scottcald said:

Yeah, I got a Variax Standard when Sweetwater had a good sale on them.  Having acoustic 6 and 12 strings, Rick sounds, etc change without having to fiddle with the guitar controls is pretty awesome.  And it plays pretty well too.  Hate the Strat style trem though.   But, I don't think that's who they're targeting this at, but it's also 1/3 the price of Helix. 

Consider trading up to a JTV. Korean-made, but I feel like mine (used) for $700 is better than any of the $800-$1k Strats I've played with 2-point trems.

Posted (edited)

I'm a recovering HD500 user. If they simplified the GUI for POD GO, that's a good thing. I just got sick of making, "patches", twiddling with shit, etc. And most of the "user patches" on their download site were crap. Some of the DGilmour ones were pretty cool, though

Edited by RobB
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, RobB said:

I'm a recovering HD500 user. If they simplified the GUI, that's a good thing. I just got sick of making, "patches", twiddling with shit, etc. And most of the "user patches" on their download site were crap. Some of the DGilmour ones were pretty cool, though

Yeah, this seems to be more direct and simple than the HD500....  the one thing I have always hated about modeling was all the tweaking and twiddling. I ended up buying a Fender Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster.... and I love it.. super easy.. of course all of its modeling power is directed at one amp with reverb and tremolo. They did a great job with that amp. I'm hoping to see other companies go this route... maybe with three amps available...ha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RobB said:

I'm a recovering HD500 user. If they simplified the GUI for POD GO, that's a good thing. I just got sick of making, "patches", twiddling with shit, etc. And most of the "user patches" on their download site were crap. Some of the DGilmour ones were pretty cool, though

Kinda what the zoom I have does.

3 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

Consider trading up to a JTV. Korean-made, but I feel like mine (used) for $700 is better than any of the $800-$1k Strats I've played with 2-point trems.

Thanks, Nathan, good to know.  I may do that when I can leave the house again.  

2 hours ago, 0054 said:

Kinda what the zoom I have does.

In videos I've seen, I thought the interface looked good as well as simple.  

• Like 1

Yes, and the sounds are real and or attainable.

I've been playing the same Flextone II XL amps for 20 years now..... and have spent thousands trying to replace them several times over the years..... they just work for me live and studio....

The Strymon Iridium has my interest.....

• Like 2

I think they are all pretty darn good now, with the difference between the expensive high end stuff vs the mid level stuff is flexibility. No way an AXEFX III is 4 x better sounding than a a Line 6 stomp, but it will be a lot more flexible. 

As much as I love tube amps, and won't get rid of em, the modleing amps now are pretty dang good. 

Thing is, we talk 53 deluxe as if we play like Larry Carlton, right? But we really want a good solid amp that will get the point across, well, I think if you have a super clean Twin Reverb sound (how many different ones, right?) It's hard to justify a Plexi. but you pay the price for  one decent amp, you get a lot more options. Sure you need an FFFR (or two) but its gonna sound acceptable to most any crowd going from a tweed to a Fried(man).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 0054 said:

I think they are all pretty darn good now, with the difference between the expensive high end stuff vs the mid level stuff is flexibility. No way an AXEFX III is 4 x better sounding than a a Line 6 stomp, but it will be a lot more flexible. 

As much as I love tube amps, and won't get rid of em, the modleing amps now are pretty dang good. 

Thing is, we talk 53 deluxe as if we play like Larry Carlton, right? But we really want a good solid amp that will get the point across, well, I think if you have a super clean Twin Reverb sound (how many different ones, right?) It's hard to justify a Plexi. but you pay the price for  one decent amp, you get a lot more options. Sure you need an FFFR (or two) but its gonna sound acceptable to most any crowd going from a tweed to a Fried(man).

Well said.