Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jim Stafford

I saw him on some talk show back in the late 70s early 80s when the first synth guitars hit the scene and that dude just KILLED with it. Know for Spiders and Snakes silliness, dude is a playa!

On 3/18/2020 at 3:30 PM, Toadroller said:

Had never heard of him.  That I can recall.

Jim Stafford made the rounds on variety shows in the early 70s forward.  He had his own syndicated show in the late 70s or early 80s.  His big radio hit was Spiders and Snakes. 

Then there was this song that a lot of people thought would be cool to play in front of people. 

Given my childhood of the early 70s, watching Sonny & Cher, Donnie & Marie, Tony Orlando & Dawn, Shields & Yarnell, Laugh in...

he must have crossed my path at some point.  Maybe I was too young for him to register. Funny stuff and amazing talent there. 

Spiders and Snakes was played so often on so many stations across so many genres it would drive a person to jab pencils in their ears. Good God, twice would have been plenty.

Mudshark's post is a 'holy sh!t' moment, for sure. I had no idea he was such a great player.

On 3/18/2020 at 1:31 PM, Jakeboy said:

I saw him on some talk show back in the late 70s early 80s when the first synth guitars hit the scene and that dude just KILLED with it. Know for Spiders and Snakes silliness, dude is a playa!

I'm trying to find a song. I could have sworn it was Jim Stafford, but I can't find it on either of his 70s albums.

I'm pretty sure it was from about the same time frame, mid-70s.

It'a about a guy who likes a girl, but she's pretty rough.

So he carves "I love you, ____!" in a tree, then brings her to see it. She's so moved she grabs the knife and carves "I love you, too, ____!"

He then says, "It took ______ stitches to close up my chest"

It just seems like a Jim Stafford style lyric.  Ray Stevens was a little sillier. Mac Davis didn't have that kind of humorous song.

I've googled it a dozen times with different combinations trying to find it.

Has anyone heard of this song????

14 minutes ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

Has anyone heard of this song????

I've heard that song! Unfortunately I can't recall the name or artist... sorry.

On 3/20/2020 at 5:25 PM, DaveH said:

I've heard that song! Unfortunately I can't recall the name or artist... sorry.

well, if it drives you as crazy as it has me, I can take that as consolation

One of my faves from childhood the B side to Spiders and Snakes... some cool blues banjo  😲 and some blues guitar. Not sure which he played. Maybe both?

Archived