Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTB: USA-made Hamer Standard

Greetings!!

I've been looking to purchase a USA-made Hamer Standard guitar for many years now ... seven, going on eight, to be exact.  Timing seems to be my biggest hurdle -- by the time I become aware of a guitar for sale, it has been sold to someone else (usually same day, or even within minutes of my inquiry).  So with suggestion, I am posting a "WTB" thread on here...

In a perfect world, here are my instrument preferences :
- Sunburst over plain top
- Flame (or some figured) Maple top over plain
- Dark Sunburst over Cherry
- Trapzoid inlays over dot
- Bound neck/body over not

My comfortable price range for purchase is up-to $3500.  A guitar $4k and up would require some lengthy planning, and usually in that instance, the instrument is long gone.
I would also consider a Shishkov Ultimate (at the sellers price).

I also feel the selling price should be "fair and reasonable."  One example is a "friend" of mine who purchased a Standard for $1350 and then so kindly offered to flip it to me for $3500!!  Sorry, scenarios like that are just ridiculous.

So that's it, really.  I am hoping that my inquiry post here can change what is heading towards a decade of pure, rotten luck.

Cheers,
"Berklee" Bill

19 minutes ago, Bill Buck said:

One example is a "friend" of mine who purchased a Standard for $1350 and then so kindly offered to flip it to me for $3500!!  Sorry, scenarios like that are just ridiculous.

Yeah, we have a couple of friends like that here, too, but you should be able to get what you're looking for.

Welcome to the board.

In an effort to inform, Mr. Buck, are you aware of the dichotomy between the "four digit" Hamer Standards and the production Hamer Standards? 

If you are, great; if not, that might be a great place to start as the (four-digit) suggestion, above, is actually a deal at $4,000, whereas that price for a production Standard might be considered out of market.

An informative post from Serial (he quite literally wrote the book):

7 hours ago, Bill Buck said:

I also feel the selling price should be "fair and reasonable."  One example is a "friend" of mine who purchased a Standard for $1350 and then so kindly offered to flip it to me for $3500!!  Sorry, scenarios like that are just ridiculous.

Welcome!
  I understand "fair and reasonable part". But, if someone offers you what you are looking for, for $3500 and it made you happy, but later on you find out that that someone bought it for, say, $350, would you think that he is a bad person?
   I think if you are ready to pay certain amount for what you like, it shouldn't bother you, how much the person, who sells it to you, paid for it. That's the way I personally see it. And keep in mind, a lot of folks here paid for their Hamers fraction of what the market price is right now, I paid for one of my setneck Cali's $450, it's $100 more than HFC approved price, but still not bad.
   On the positive side - $3500 is more than enough to find a decent Standard. You'll find it. 
  ( note: I do not plan on selling...just thinking)

4 hours ago, JustKid said:

Welcome!
  I understand "fair and reasonable part". But, if someone offers you what you are looking for, for $3500 and it made you happy, but later on you find out that that someone bought it for, say, $350, would you think that he is a bad person?
   I think if you are ready to pay certain amount for what you like, it shouldn't bother you, how much the person, who sells it to you, paid for it. That's the way I personally see it. And keep in mind, a lot of folks here paid for their Hamers fraction of what the market price is right now, I paid for one of my setneck Cali's $450, it's $100 more than HFC approved price, but still not bad.
   On the positive side - $3500 is more than enough to find a decent Standard. You'll find it. 
  ( note: I do not plan on selling...just thinking)

Since you asked...

the guitar in question was a stock 1996 Standard with a mahogany body that was purchased from this board. A quick review of my “build criteria” listed in my base note will detail this guitar isn’t really what I am looking for.

The gentleman who purchased it is a blues player who only plays Strats and Teles.  He jumped in a good deal (and good for him), but to offer it to me — his “friend” — for twice what the market price is for that model Standard was insulting to me. I mean, this dude could have sold it for $2k and still made $650 off his investment.

As a moderator of this forum so eloquently commented, “$3500 is egregious.” It’s an $1800 guitar all day long. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m not miserly. But if I’m dropping that kind of coin, I would ay least like it to be in the ballpark of what I’m searching for. I’m simply looking for that one “forever guitar” to own and gig with. 👍🏼

I have a US Standard. No flame, no neck binding, no trapezoid inlays. 

However, it’s none more black with boomer inlays. It was supposed to have neck binding but it looks much better without given the boomers. Oh, and it’s a 4 digit that had some work done at the factory to return it to something more similar to its origins.  

Please PM if you have questions or are interested.  Since it’s your WTB there’s no pressure to rush. 

Welcome to the boards “Berklee” Bill!

There are great chances to find a Standard on the boards within 7 years. I love them Standards too. And I can confirm Standards are excellent guitars.

Since you are on the boards, there is always the chance to PM member @HamStd. Quite often he has something to offer people say. B)

12 hours ago, Bill Buck said:

the guitar in question was a stock 1996 Standard with a mahogany body ………. It’s an $1800 guitar all day long.

Agreed!

11 hours ago, cynic said:

I have a US Standard. No flame, no neck binding, no trapezoid inlays. 

However, it’s none more black with boomer inlays.

Damn, that sounds super hot!!! Don't think I ever saw Standard with boomers.

I remember the good old days of the late 90s when it seemed you could score Standards and Standard Customs on eBay for $800 to $1400 every day.  Now, you seldom see them for sale, unless they’re $3500 to $8000 on Reverb - and the ones that are on Reverb have been there quite a while.  I think when one comes up for $2000 to $3000 it gets grabbed right away, like you said.  Like I said, the market has dried up, though - people who have them must be hanging on to them.  Hang in there - hopefully you’ll get lucky soon!

5 hours ago, JustKid said:

Agreed!

Damn, that sounds super hot!!! Don't think I ever saw Standard with boomers.

You have now...

Boomered Std.jpg

Had this one out tonight, much to my neighbors’ dismay...they really are THAT good.

27B12878-F9B2-4353-843D-8709214CE533.jpeg

Playing time with mine for quite some weeks. Freshly restringed two days ago. Center in pic.

3 Hamer Explorers

On 3/19/2020 at 5:11 PM, cmatthes said:

You have now...

Boomered Std.jpg

I would buy that right now...  and BB your quest seems very do-able, just hang in there. I have been seeking a Black bound and crowned since 2005 and had a couple slip through my fingers, still looking!

On 3/19/2020 at 5:39 PM, JustKid said:

My eyes transmitted this image into my brain and somewhere deep in there there was an orgasm. I think I'm ready for my next purchase.

TMI :)

Dave's pics are so much nicer than mine but here's what it looks like today.  I'm aware of 2 others then there's the greenburst boomer.

MUO2z12.jpg

Archived