Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anyone into Qobuz?

gorch

A few weeks ago I started subscription of the Qobuz service, a high-resolution streaming service focusing on streaming high quality audio. Even in the car the sound appears to be fuller than what I know from the majors. On PC, through the DAC into the analog stereo stack it blows away.

Anyone heard of it? Is using it too?

https://www.qobuz.com/

I have the app on my Mind2 streamer, but haven’t used it yet. I plan on it. I’ve been using my Tidal Hi-Fi subscription and have really enjoyed it. Tidal Masters MQA is quite astonishing; many of the MQA albums are unfolding at 192k!!!! All I can say is holy shit wow! Some of those recordings are otherworldly.

I've heard OF both qobuz and Tidal but I haven't checked them out yet.  Good to see a couple of people whose opinions I respect are using them.  How is the music availability compared to services much more mainstream and with a zillion subscribers like Amazon Music or Spotify?

15 hours ago, tommy p said:

How is the music availability compared to services much more mainstream and with a zillion subscribers like Amazon Music or Spotify?

Availability is great so far. I haven't experienced any hickups yet. App allows for downloads for offline listening. Shopping of downloads also possible. Missing artists or albums can easily be recommended. Great response from customer support so far. Very friendly.

15 hours ago, tommy p said:

I've heard OF both qobuz and Tidal but I haven't checked them out yet.  Good to see a couple of people whose opinions I respect are using them.  How is the music availability compared to services much more mainstream and with a zillion subscribers like Amazon Music or Spotify?

The Tidal library I read last year is the largest of all streamers. I’ve found a lot of albums on tidal that haven’t been available in cd or vinyl format for years. They also allow for downloads.

Tidal was started by musicians; read this:

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/203055651-TIDAL-Owners 

I haven’t used Spotify or Amazon in a couple of years. Tidal is vastly superior.

I've been using the Amazon HD service the last 5-6 months.  Available across devices, offline mode, lets you know the sampling rates available and the rate my equipment limits it to. 

I'm basically going through streaming tv boxes (fireTV, Roku) HDMI up to the TV, taking the TV's optical out into a D/A and then into my old-school hi-fi.  Sound is great.  The Amazon App could sure use a usability upgrade.  I had a Rio Karma music player back in the day (2002?) that did seamless playback of albums and cross-fading of tracks on random, and none of my playback software or devices does that.  Amazon HD has crashed from time to time.  Restart and continue.  Usability and stability are great on the phone, though.  

It's astounding that you can use a phone through a portable DAC like a DragonFly (or a gazillion other choices ranging from $20 to $2000) and get phenomenal sound like this.

That said, I got a Denon DL-310mk2 moving coil cartridge for Christmas and there are times and places where good old analog is the better choice.  Plus the chase is more fun.

Archived