Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Mirage I for sale *PRICE REDUCTION*

Putting up my Koa Mirage I on Reverb. Only selling because I have two.  It's probably the better of the two I have, but the other one has sentimental value and a lot of gigs on it for me.  So, the beater stays.  1300 on Reverb, 1200 for HFCers.

https://reverb.com/item/32931125-hamer-mirage-i-1995-natural-koa-usa

Looks like it's got two offers already, probably not from a HFC member.  I always wonder about the motivation and sincerity of someone who makes offers on an item on Reverb within 12 hours of the item getting listed, seems kinda unnecessarily greedy to me.  If they want it that fast, they can always pay the asking price instead of haggling for it.

1 minute ago, crunchee said:

Looks like it's got two offers already, probably not from a HFC member.  I always wonder about the motivation and sincerity of someone who makes offers on an item on Reverb within 12 hours of the item getting listed, seems kinda unnecessarily greedy to me.

When else are you supposed to make an offer on a Reverb item?

16 minutes ago, crunchee said:

If they want it that fast, they can always pay the asking price instead of haggling for it.

Ah, now I see. Do you not understand guitar nerds? Most are broke, petulant jagoffs who were improperly raised to believe that a purchase isn't satisfying unless you feel like you put one over on the seller. If you posted something for free, there are people who would try to get you to pay them to take it off your hands.

That said, if you have "make an offer" turned on (I presume you can still turn that off on Reverb) you should expect offers.

I will say that my most recent sale occurred on Reverb. I listed a mid-90s LP Standard at a very fair price. Immediately got 4 offers that amazingly weren't ridiculous lowballs. Before I could even do any negotiating a 5th guy swooped in and bought it at full price. So, there are still a few normal people left in the world.

I’ve been getting offers from the sellers on Reverb discounting the price 15 to 20%. The last one was for a Suhr Classic SSS, 2018 model, new for $2,067.00 shipped. The price listed on Reverb was $2,400.00 plus shipping. I declined, but I sure thought about it before doing so! So I guess the offer tool on Reverb works both way’s!

9 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

I’ve been getting offers from the sellers on Reverb discounting the price 15 to 20%. The last one was for a Suhr Classic SSS, 2018 model, new for $2,067.00 shipped. The price listed on Reverb was $2,400.00 plus shipping. I declined, but I sure thought about it before doing so! So I guess the offer tool on Reverb works both way’s!

15-20% seems like a reasonable opening salvo when you consider that the premise of negotiating is to meet somewhere in the middle. Gives both parties room to move.

When a seller accepts offers but won't budge off the price, or a buyer opens with an offer that's half the price and gets all pissy when that offer is declined, you're not dealing with a negotiator, you're dealing with a haggler, and therefore an asshole.

I am a haggler and an asshole, but I never start at 1/2 price. That's just rude.

And sometimes guys are just looking to clear sh!t out and you end up with a better deal than expected, just by asking them what they'd take for it.

1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

And sometimes guys are just looking to clear sh!t out and you end up with a better deal than expected, just by asking them what they'd take for it.

Yes, but what you're doing is trying to get the seller to be the first to come forward with a number other than the original listing price. A valid tactic, but as you know, the first person to do that is at a disadvantage. My attitude as a seller is, I already put my number out there. What's your number?

The answer to the questions "what's your best price?" or "what will you take for it?" is "my full list price." Because that's the best price for me and I'll gladly take it right now.

15 minutes ago, MCChris said:

Yes, but what you're doing is trying to get the seller to be the first to come forward with a number other than the original listing price. A valid tactic, but as you know, the first person to do that is at a disadvantage. My attitude as a seller is, I already put my number out there. What's your number?

The answer to the questions "what's your best price?" or "what will you take for it?" is "my full list price." Because that's the best price for me and I'll gladly take it right now.

Exactly.....My response is, "I don't negotiate against myself. I listed a price. Make me YOUR best counter offer. I will give you a quick yes or no".

Besides, it you immediately reduce your price, there is a high probability they will try to negotiate down from that.

Reminds me of the old game of playing Post Office. The rule is that the first person that moves, loses.

4 hours ago, MCChris said:

15-20% seems like a reasonable opening salvo when you consider that the premise of negotiating is to meet somewhere in the middle. Gives both parties room to move.

When a seller accepts offers but won't budge off the price, or a buyer opens with an offer that's half the price and gets all pissy when that offer is declined, you're not dealing with a negotiator, you're dealing with a haggler, and therefore an asshole.

This guy is coming in asking for 30% off.  I suppose the usual haggle up is my next move.  Rather have it go to someone here...

6 minutes ago, Eli said:

This guy is coming in asking for 30% off.  I suppose the usual haggle up is my next move.  Rather have it go to someone here...

"Get lost" is my usual response to a low ball offer like that. 
"Get lost", "Get serious", or I just delete and ignore.

38 minutes ago, kizanski said:

"Get lost" is my usual response to a low ball offer like that. 
"Get lost", "Get serious", or I just delete and ignore.

I gave him the "find me a cheaper one" reality check.

Prior to "Coronavirus" I'd say your price for a clean Mirage 1 in 2020 isn't unreasonable at all.  Now with this sh!t...who the heck knows what fair prices are going to look like for several months?  Only you know how motivated you are to move the guitar or if you would rather hold until things normalize again, but considering the way the market is crapping the bed and the fact that most of us gigging musicians are currently seeing our shows being cancelled (who knows for how long?)...let's just say I think if I were selling guitars right now I'd be open to negotiating on pricing before the economy potentially gets worse.  And for the record, no...I'm not the guy who sent you the offer 😄

1 hour ago, killerteddybear said:

Damnit, you're right across the bay...

not too far.  that is, if we're allowed to travel. 🤔

34 minutes ago, Eli said:

not too far.  that is, if we're allowed to travel. 🤔

Since when is buying a guitar a non-essential purpose?

1 hour ago, django49 said:

Since when is buying a guitar a non-essential purpose?

Health care is considered essential. I would consider guitar buying to be a mental health facilitator. 

I still have the store receipt from January ‘95 when I got my ‘94 mirage for $1,100. It’s worth twice that. 

I still maintain that the mirage might be my favorite Hamer. I’ve got my 1 & 2, need to get another maple top to replace the one I foolishly sold years ago. After that, I’ll get another mirage to heavily  to modify. More so than just pickup and bridge replacements...

someone needs to jump on this. Mirages are massively under appreciated. Slap in a better bridge and your pickups of choice and they’ll be your #1.

A year or two back, I had something for sale on Reverb, like $900.

Offer: $500, replied "no."

five minutes later, offer $600, replied "no."

five minutes later, offer $700, replied "no."

One hour later, offer $800, replied "Sold."

All while watching a movie, having a cocktail, with my phone in my hand.  He met my price.

15 hours ago, Travis said:

I still have the store receipt from January ‘95 when I got my ‘94 mirage for $1,100. It’s worth twice that. 

I still maintain that the mirage might be my favorite Hamer. I’ve got my 1 & 2, need to get another maple top to replace the one I foolishly sold years ago. After that, I’ll get another mirage to heavily  to modify. More so than just pickup and bridge replacements...

someone needs to jump on this. Mirages are massively under appreciated. Slap in a better bridge and your pickups of choice and they’ll be your #1.

It's why I have 2 1's, and a Koa II.  The Mirage 1 I'm keeping is the first Hamer I bought.  It's what started me on the whole obsession.

5 minutes ago, Eli said:

The Mirage 1 I'm keeping is the first Hamer I bought.  It's what started me on the whole obsession.

Same story here!

Archived