Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Do you buy?

I'm noticing some of the music stores are really deeply discounting some stuff online here and there.  For instance, I guitar that Chicago Music Exchange has been completely hardcore on keeping at $1325 they are now dumping for $1070.  

The only thing we know is:

A.  We're in a real shit pickle. 
B.  By anyone's best guess, we are in said shit pickle from Between June 2020 and November 2021.  I doubt it will be June, and god forbid it's November of 21, but that's the best anyone who is being honest can give.  

I'm not asking for instruction.  I'll figure out how much I'm willing to spend on nonessentials myself, but this will inevitably go on for a bit.  How are y'all feeling?

I picked up my 5150 from the shop today after getting a good cleaning and a new preamp tube. The owner and I chatted for a couple of minutes. He said he hoped we get out of this alright. Said he comes from a family of worriers. The shop is closed for the time being and he’s just allowing pickup and drop off if you call ahead. 

I also noticed he had an EVH Frankenstein relic replica on the wall priced at $1,800. The tag said “like new”

that made me laugh...

I've been keeping my eye out for a particular 2x10 bass cab for a while now, grabbed one used yesterday at a price I could more than justify.  However, we're talking the proverbial threefiddy, not >$1K.

I'm being a little more conservative.  I'm grateful that I'm still getting a paycheck through all of this and I recognize that not everyone is so lucky.

I'm also trying not to "spave" my way into something I didn't need in the first place.  Case in point, Arturia's V-Collection is on sale again.  I didn't buy it last time, so I'm not gonna buy it this time.  :)  Guitar center will sell you a GS mini for $99 if you buy a more expensive Taylor.  I don't need either one.  :) 

But if it was something I'd been saving for (there's nothing in this category) then I'd probably stick to the plan and take advantage of the extra deals. 

Edit: The closest I can get to a put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is answer on this is that I just acquired an Empress ZOIA ($450+) when this started to roll in and I'm not considering returning it.

Are FedEx and/or UPS even shipping reliably at this point?

I was actually getting set to post a Special here, but wondered about the practicality of getting it where it needed to go.

At the same time, I’ve always got a slush fund for the right Duotone 😆

This may be TMI but I still scour the Craigslist ads here in the N.Y. suburbs and I found an ad for a drum throne for 25 bucks. Got in touch via email, it’s up in Katonah, and after several friendly “The world we live in now!” exchanges,  made a deal to have her leave the throne on her porch that she would sanitize and wipe down, and for me to put the cash in a ziplock bag (reasonable precaution) and leave it on the mat, while I wave through the front door at her and her puppy. We were both super smiley at the ridiculousness of it all, and I said, “Cutest puppy! Stay healthy guys!”. I still Lysol’d that thing like crazy and I gotta say, one of the most pleasant transactions I’ve ever made 😆

Sold my Lynch graphic Centaura in under 36 hours, for my asking price. Now I'm eyeballing a new Jackson... contemplating waiting another week to see if it drops in price.  :P

I don’t need more amps, I have sold some guitars while waiting for my second Shishkov, and there are only a couple Lovepedals I still want. So I am good on gear...oh, I do want an API mic preamp for recording. I am on Stam’s waiting list for one. 
Once the Shishkov arrives, I will audition a boatload of Lovepedals through it and then have a really cool pedal sale.

Be safe everyone, and if you use Craigslist, Geoff’s example is a good one to follow.

58 minutes ago, Devnor said:

Yes but ground & air shipments can be delayed.

Foolishly or otherwise, I did buy a guitar from the opposite coast. It took the best part of 3 days to move out of NYC. Then traveled 2800 miles in less than 3 days (ground shipment). Then it took over 48 hours to travel the last 90 miles.

Not complaining, but best to adjust your expectations.

Can't speak for the home gamer shipper but my commercial shipments are arriving at their destinations mostly ontime except for shipments originating from CA.  UPS has diverted those to a different hub in a different city.  All those are delayed. I'd avoid shipping if at all possible.Its a big mess out there with shipments enroute but the businesses that are supposed to receive them are closed.

I wasn't planning on buying any guitars, but last week during my pawnshop rounds, I happened upon a guitar I've NEVER EVER seen in my life.

They were asking $2k, but I said there was NO WAY I'd spend $2K+ tax on this guitar EVEN if it's a pretty rare guitar.

The guitar in question is an '81 Martin 7-28  7/8 scale D-28.

The market rate at the moment is between $2000-$3000+ depending on the condition.

I told the shop where I've bought several guitars over the years, that I'd probably pay wholesale price at the most , which would be about $1K.

They said they couldn't do it, and I gave them my number if they changed their mind.

The called me at the end of the day and said they'd do $1k+ tax.

I told them I that I decided that I'd put 1/2 down on a total of $1K for the guitar, and the salseman said he'd have to talk to the manager.

He called me back and said they'd do it.

So this may be my last guitar for a VERY long time.

'81 Martin 7-28  7/8 scale D-28

49645935711_8816389cb9_b.jpg

49646221582_3eda7dbc67_b.jpg

3 hours ago, crunchee said:

All my guitars are Telecasters or Tele-style Partscasters, so I think I'm about as ready for the Apocalypse as I can be.  ;) :lol:

As our escapee Mitch ( @Feynman ) once said, “all you really need is a telecaster.”

1 hour ago, Toadroller said:

As our escapee Mitch ( @Feynman ) once said, “all you really need is a telecaster.”

Where is Mitch when we really need him?

It's tricky. I'm very fortunate in that my job is relatively recession-resistant (wealth management: rich folks like us when times are good and really need us when times are bad) and a partner, and we did stress test on finances last year... unless it's full Mad Max, no one gets laid off. Missus' job runs on grants that already have cleared for the next couple years and we save like misers. We've kinda settled on some local businesses we want to try to support, so have ordered a bit more restaurant food (picked up curbside) and hardware (same) than we really need. Since Missus works in a lab, we have a decontamination routine with 70% alcohol and where "outside" stuff sits, where it's decontaminated, and how we clean that area. And finally, while 2019 saw me buying a few guitars, I sold a LOT more, to the point that I just had the five electrics and two acoustics I couldn't see getting rid of, out of uniqueness and just pleasure.

But yesterday a local guy had an "under the bed" condition Paul Landers* model Les Paul on Reverb. I contacted him, asked him to come down another $500, and he drove it over. Nice guy, has about 60 guitars and never played it. I honestly don't know the market value on them as they made so few and I think they were a commercial failure but we both were satisfied.

I guess as long as the zombies aren't looting and my job is secure, I'll cautiously still shop but I think a lot of people not as luck as me are gonna be in a world of hurt soon, so I suspect I'll be spending more on donations to the Atlanta Food Bank and other charities.

*Rammstein. Yes I know they're ridiculous. Don't care. So is Night Ranger :D

13 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

I wasn't planning on buying any guitars, but last week during my pawnshop rounds, I happened upon a guitar I've NEVER EVER seen in my life.

They were asking $2k, but I said there was NO WAY I'd spend $2K+ tax on this guitar EVEN if it's a pretty rare guitar.

The guitar in question is an '81 Martin 7-28  7/8 scale D-28.

The market rate at the moment is between $2000-$3000+ depending on the condition.

I told the shop where I've bought several guitars over the years, that I'd probably pay wholesale price at the most , which would be about $1K.

They said they couldn't do it, and I gave them my number if they changed their mind.

The called me at the end of the day and said they'd do $1k+ tax.

I told them I that I decided that I'd put 1/2 down on a total of $1K for the guitar, and the salseman said he'd have to talk to the manager.

He called me back and said they'd do it.

So this may be my last guitar for a VERY long time.

'81 Martin 7-28  7/8 scale D-28

49645935711_8816389cb9_b.jpg

49646221582_3eda7dbc67_b.jpg Great score Skip! Just another in a long line for you! I understand where you are coming from as far as buying,I bought my last guitar here back in January and you know what it is so enough on that.With everything in the world going on right now many of us  will have to put other things up in front.I'm retired and I have plenty of things to do at home and plenty of guitars to enjoy..................better times ahead, hopefully sooner than later,we will see,it's a"NEW" world. You and yours stay well and be safe.

4 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Thanks Gary.

Hope you and yours can stay safe and we all get though this .

I know when you strip everything down, it our love one's that matter most to us and not our guitars.

Sometimes you just have to get your last shot in before everything changes.

Could this be my last guitar for a while  or ever?

I'm trying to be positive and believing were all going to get past this, and we'll all be looking for our next piece of gear.

Take care Gary

Archived