Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Scott Gorhams LP.

His 2nd one, right? The first was the Deluxe that later got humbuckers. 

Scotts two, and Brians one, are my most legendary Les Pauls. The tones they created.

Moore on Greeny was great too. But not as great. 

Moore on Greeny was great indeed....but Green on Greeny was was even greater IMO. 

Lizzy was so great, what classic perfect LP tones! Thanks for posting this. Gotham was great and engaging and funny.

OK, Les Paul experts, how common was a sunburst in 1957?  My understanding was that 1957 was the first year for humbuckers on the Les Paul Standard, and finish was still the gold top.  I thought the sunburst did not show up until 1958. 

Didn’t they have Black Beauties in 1957 as well with buckers?  I thought the bursts all started in 1958 as well.

I found this info "

"We were touring in the US and a vintage guitar dealer came down to a show in Boston and flipped open about six boxes and I made a bee-line for this one guitar. He told me it was a ’59, but it was actually a ’57. I picked it up and it felt right. It sounded like a Thin Lizzy guitar. I asked our sound guy, Pete, what he was hearing and he just looked at me and said, “Buy it.” I looked down at the dealer and said, “Well, that just blew any negotiation on my part.” After a while, the wine red finish began to wear off and it appeared to have a gold top finish originally, so who knows what that guitar was."

(from http://www.woodytone.com/2009/05/08/...t-gorham-info/ )

Its been covered many times on this forum. Its a '56 conversion with early Dimarzio PAFs. If i recall, someone on here worked at the shop that did the conversion.

"

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?127565-Scott-Gorham-s-Deluxe

Looks like a great guitar, regardless of the changes that have been made. I believe a fair number of Les Paul guitars got sent back a few years after they were made for finish changes, humbucker upgrades, etc.

I was in the "biz" for a time and have seen dozens of "conversions".  It has to be a '56 or a '57 because of the offset center seam and no signs of it being a wrap-around ('53 to '56).  So, it has to be a gold top.  

I also suspect that the neck might have been shaved down a bit.  All the '56 and '57 gold tops I've ever played had more substantial neck carves.  He says it's thin.  Never seen one that I'd call "Thin"...

Archived