Hamer Fan Club Message Center

More restrictive actions to combat Coronavirus

How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?

none. The keyboard player can do it with his left hand...

ba dum psss...

17 hours ago, The Shark said:

Our bass player is the best player in our band.  His other band is Magnatar.  Their album Parallel Worlds is worth a listen.  That's his "Prog" band.  We're the low rent classic rock bunch.  

I just checked them out.  They're definitely competent and prog is definitely still not my thing.  :) 

16 minutes ago, sixesandsevens said:

I just checked them out.  They're definitely competent and prog is definitely still not my thing.  :) 

Yeah, I can only listen to it in snippets.  Not my thing either, but they're really good. 😎

FWMOW "prog" isn't "progressive". Maybe prog morphed from influences like ELP, Yes, King Crimson, et. al. but the newer "genre" seems less intricate and a lot of the vocal histrionics sound the same. 

A while back a guy I know pronounced Hawkwind to be "prog" and I couldn't disagree more. Hawkwind, a band that's now over 50 years old (and yes, the band is technically the Dave Brock Experience) is and always has been space rock (pretty much the inventors of that term), to include pounding 4/4 songs that go on and on and on. Not much complex stuff at all. The point is, such is the misuse or misunderstanding of whatever "prog" is supposed to be.

YMMV

51 minutes ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

FWMOW "prog" isn't "progressive". Maybe prog morphed from influences like ELP, Yes, King Crimson, et. al. but the newer "genre" seems less intricate and a lot of the vocal histrionics sound the same. 

A while back a guy I know pronounced Hawkwind to be "prog" and I couldn't disagree more. Hawkwind, a band that's now over 50 years old (and yes, the band is technically the Dave Brock Experience) is and always has been space rock (pretty much the inventors of that term), to include pounding 4/4 songs that go on and on and on. Not much complex stuff at all. The point is, such is the misuse or misunderstanding of whatever "prog" is supposed to be

I agree on all points. In my opinion Space Rock is in some ways like Stoner Rock, EDM and Reggae where a lot of the tension can come from periods of repetition followed by change-ups that give the "release".   

20 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

I had an upright bass for a number of years. That's a contact sport - not for sissies!

True, that. I played upright Jr/Sr years in high school. It was like wrestling with a giant, spruce grizzly.

Archived