Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Nugent Cali

FGJ

Remember that maple-boarded black Cali signed by Nugent that was floating around here? I remember Nathan had it and sold it to I don't know who. Well, I came across this video where Tommy Shaw is playing a black, maple-board Cali with Ted around 3:00. Anyone suppose it's the same guitar?

11 hours ago, FGJ said:

Remember that maple-boarded black Cali signed by Nugent that was floating around here? I remember Nathan had it and sold it to I don't know who. Well, I came across this video where Tommy Shaw is playing a black, maple-board Cali with Ted around 3:00. Anyone suppose it's the same guitar?

It's possible, but I'm going to say "no" for three reasons:

1) Tommy Shaw was playing a black cherry maple-boarded Cali in that timeframe, so it is might just be the black cherry one (which only shows the black cherry sparkles when the light hits it right)

2) It was a contest guitar, and signed by Ted rather than Tommy. I doubt they would give a way a guitar that had already been through one or more concerts.  Tho I could be wrong.  Still, if Tommy played it, he was famous enough you'd think he would have signed it, too

3) I would probably have to cut off my left arm if I let a guitar played/owned by Tommy Shaw slip through my fingers

2 hours ago, RobB said:

Points for Tommy's grunge, wood-elf costume, though. The Docs are a nice touch...

My thoughts exactly!

51 minutes ago, RobB said:

I dunno...I just got the impression that Theodore is stepping all over the song. Y'know, grandstanding? 

Ted taking off on someone else's song...  yeah, sounds about right.  Ted loves attention which is why he leads his own band.  He does like talking about Damn Yankees, though, and they will do mini-reunions at the NAMM show. 

He did do a great job on Damn Yankees' High Enough, probably because the producer wanted something that fit the song.  The song does not sound too "Ted."

Yeah, Ted is a wild showman. To expect him to remain quietly in the background is like expecting an atomic bomb to make no noise when it explodes. Besides, anyone who'd go to a Damn Yankees concert and want Ted to remain quiet probably would prefer a Barry Manilow concert. 

14 hours ago, RobB said:

I dunno...I just got the impression that Theodore is stepping all over the song. Y'know, grandstanding? 

And he's so damn good at it.

If you don't like his playing, that's fine... To each his own. I can only think of a couple reasons anyone would hate the Nuge, however.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:32 PM, FGJ said:

Do you now own that guitar? I always wondered where it ended up. 

No. That guitar was on CL here in Anchorage and I helped Nathan with the purchase and shipping.

TRUTH: That one taught me not to post PSAs here on local stuff. Guitar listed Cl price was fairly low. I did a PSA here and the seller got hammered with e-mail from Hamer guys and the price went up a bunch. Probably cost Nathan half again as much as if I'd just kept my keyboard shut and gone and got it.

I always felt like Damn Yankees was one of the better supergroups from that era. Not pretentious in form or function; just good, rocking, Top-40-friendly songs with a gazillion live performances on the players' resumes. Ted's fine by me, although his more recent political posturing during certain concerts was every bit as nauseating as Bono's diatribes. Luckily for his fans, he pretty much sticks to music at his shows. Tommy Shaw's comment about not having much in common with Ted was pretty amusing. You can tell those guys got along quite well, regardless of their differences. Music's a good binding agent.

I spent one of my summers as a kid listening to almost nothing but Ted, Alice Cooper, and Styx every single day while playing pool all day and then swimming all early evening up till dark. That was a fun summer and its when I developed a taste for Ted and Cooper (I was already a Styx fan).

14 hours ago, RobB said:

You haven’t a clue:

82632AD0-1BB7-4DE2-8CC9-7500AF606BE8.jpeg

😂 Sorry man, I didn't mean to take anything Nuge away from you. That said, your collection is missing his best stuff.

3 hours ago, DaveH said:

...your collection is missing his best stuff.

No. "Free for All" is right on top.
The collection would definitely be improved with his self-titled recording, though.

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

No. "Free for All" is right on top.
The collection would definitely be improved with his self-titled recording, though.

Boys, please! One at a time.

I didn't share my Ted CDs, but l have S/T, CSF, DLG, etc. I think I have a coupla Amboy Dukes LPs buried, somewhere.

Love me some Ted. He is a bigger influence on my playing than I originally  thought.mIn fact, the first lick I tried to pay when I got my first beloved, but POS guitar in 1978 was the solo from Wang Dang Sweet Poontang. Saw him live just a couple years ago and he played like a rocker should.

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

That is exactly one that I was referring to.

Archived