Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA NEW TV Jones Pickup Sale (BLEMS)

Just received this email:

Great News! We’re pleased to offer you world-renowned TV Jones tone at our lowest price ever!

While supplies last, you can now purchase slightly blemished Filter’Tron family pickups like the TV Classic, Power’Tron, and others at a reduced price. You can save 30 percent over the regular direct price!

If you’ve been thinking about adding a Filter’Tron-style pickup to your guitar and don’t mind minor cosmetic imperfections, these blemished pickups are an exceptional value.

Link: https://tvjones.com/?mc_cid=080763bdbd&mc_eid=de537975f0

Thanks for the heads-up!

• 4 months later...

Happening again!  About 30% off.

Link!  (no affiliation other than I really, really like them!).

What’s a Blemished Pickup?

A blemished pickup is one that has small cosmetic flaws in a plated metal part, like scratches, pits, dings, solder runs, or scuffs. In sound and function, the pickup performs perfectly, just like a regular TV Jones pickup.

How Bad is the Blemish?

In most cases, you’ll have to inspect closely to see the blemish once the pickup is installed. If you play with a pick, you’re bound to put some minor scratches in a pickup’s plated parts over time anyway. After a while, you might even lose track of where the original blemish was in the first place!

If I Don’t Like the Sound, Can I Exchange It for a Different Pickup?

Yes. You can exchange it for a regular pickup model or another blemished model (depending on availability). Visit our exchange policy page for details.

Are Blemished Pickups Covered by Your Warranty?

Yes—all blemished pickups come with the same warranty as our regular pickups.

I’ve ordered from their Blem Sales a couple of times...could never find a mark/imperfection anywhere.

I’ve ever played a TV jones pickup. Inform me on the differences between them and traditional pickups...

Depends on which ones you use - they make everything from a high-powered PAF style to a clean, clear Gretsch-y style.  The 'Trons are mostly humbucker pickups, but they have varying output.  To my ears, they're the perfect pickup for getting both clear, glassy Strat clean tones and nice crunchy humbucker sounds as well.  I prefer them to P-90s and most humbuckers.

12 hours ago, Travis said:

I’ve ever played a TV jones pickup. Inform me on the differences between them and traditional pickups...

I found this explaining the difference in construction (fast forward maybe a minute or so and don't mind the garbage truck driving by - interesting choice of 'studio' but he does a pretty good job).

Here's a well-done comparison of different TV Jones pickups (with actual playing):

I'm not the most well-versed in these things, but I first encountered them when I bought a gold sparkle-jet Gretsch here on the board.  The guitar didn't work for me (neck, again), but the pickups were amazing.  That is what led me to follow @cmatthes's lead and route an American Special Strat for Classics.  I am extremely pleased with how it turned out.  They're humbuckers, but they've got that certain single-coil response in the upper frequencies, only rounder (wow, sorry, that reads really goofy, but it's actually about right).

10 minutes ago, Carl.B said:

Any suggestions for a pickup replacement in a Eclipse?

A good place to start is a Classic Plus in the bridge and a Classic in the neck. That’s what I have in my Gretsch Spectra Sonic.

I’m guessing P-90 Soap Bar mounting for an Eclipse?

6 minutes ago, atomicwash said:

A good place to start is a Classic Plus in the bridge and a Classic in the neck. That’s what I have in my Gretsch Spectra Sonic.

I’m guessing P-90 Soap Bar mounting for an Eclipse?

I will second that.....Or maybe third it......My Thorn Artisan has that set up plus another Classic in the middle.....Switching allows any pickup combination. Really nice change up from the traditional HB set up.

Okay, so I have this semi-hollow GMP Roxie that is a great guitar, but I've always thought it would be cool with Filtertrons.  Any of you guy's have experience with a semi-hollow and these pickups?  I want it to sing more than be totally ruled by high end chime.  Any thoughts?  

ws38aD8.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2020 at 8:42 PM, The Shark said:

Okay, so I have this semi-hollow GMP Roxie that is a great guitar, but I've always thought it would be cool with Filtertrons.  Any of you guy's have experience with a semi-hollow and these pickups?  I want it to sing more than be totally ruled by high end chime.  Any thoughts?  

Odd that I liked this post but failed to point out the "Jet" (Duojet, Sparklejet, etc.) guitars were and are semi-hollow, with routed backs similar to the Newport or Gibson ES-336.  I think they sound great with that extra bit of air around the notes.

The back: 

duo%2520comp.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Actually, I came back to this thread to report I just received another email announcing another sale.  Details here.
0991f55d-19f2-49e3-b933-769d589de648.jpg

NICE! As others have said, most "blem" or "open box" items have so little wrong with them that you will never find it. I never DID find it on my Black SG. I think I found it on my Pelham Blue SG. It's a great chance to pick up some great electronics if you aren't as anal about appearance AS I SOMETIMES AM.

2 hours ago, polara said:

No Supertrons :( THAT is a badass pickup. Loud, smooth, more thumpin' kind of 'tron.

Yes indeed.   Those are my favorites.

I kind of forgot about this "project".  

Question:  Would you go with the Supertrons with my guitar (it's super bright) or another of the "Trons"...?

Not worried about "On Sale".  But thanks for the refresh.  My old mind...

I have 2 of the original Gretsch Malcolm Young II's (one natural and one red; the MY II's were the ones with two pickups) that I use in an AC/DC tribute band.  They came with Gretsch Filter'tron pickups in both positions.  I decided to get one of the newer MY sig models with one pickup and the holes and buttons where the other pickups and controls were pulled out for a more authentic look.  The new one came with a TV Jones Power'tron.  The older MYII's with the Filter'trons get a great Mal sound but the Power'tron in the newer one was not the right pickup for that sound.  It was a bit too beefy and higher output than the Filter'tron.  I couldn't just switch from one of the older ones to the new one without adjusting my amp.

I called TV Jones and told them exactly what I just wrote above and they advised me which pickup to get, so I ordered TV Jones Classic in chrome with the U.S. Patent cover from the blem store last week and am having it installed right now.  The guy I talked to was friendly and as helpful as could be, and hopefully the Classic will get me the sound I need.  As others have noted, I could not find any imperfection in the supposed "blemished" pickup at all.

If the new pickup works out like I hope it will, I'll put the Power'tron up for sale here.

Archived