Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1980 Special - how is price?

I ask, is $800 plus shipping about right for this '80 Special?  It seems a little  low compared to prices I've casually watched, but isn't this close to what the price should really be? 

This is at least the second listing on eBay for this guitar.  So, is it the wrong price, a soft market, is something wrong with the guitar I'm not seeing, or is it just a decent deal on a great guitar (I don't see serial number in the pics)

link to the eBay listing  https://www.ebay.com/itm/233537680745?ul_noapp=true

80 specail 1s-l1600.jpg

80 specail 2s-l1600.jpg

Price isn't bad at all.  If I was in the market for a player Special, I'd snag that one.

I sold mine for a bit more than that but it was in much better shape. That is a fair deal for a rocker that you don’t have to worry about getting dinged.

When it popped up, I though the second picture pretty much sucked. It looks like its opaque on the back and its hard to tell if or what the serial # was. It would be nice to have a some better pictures, but it does look like a nice Special. If it has that 79/80 neck carve it will be a great player for sure. 

This is good fodder for the conversation/debate about whether or not this is a good time to sell.
Are people feeling iffy about their income, and will those who are bored without their usual outlets to spend their cash just start buying guitars?
So far, it looks like we are in the former camp.
Usually $900 Sustain Block Specials with original DiMarzios don't last very long, so this isn't a good sign, for the immediate future at least.

1 minute ago, cynic said:

That's the third time that listing has run its course without getting a single bid.

Seller says that he "resisted" it (I'm guessing he meant re-listed) because the prior buyer backed out because he was unaware that ebay was now adding sales tax. So if you believe his story (not saying that I do), there would have been a bidder at some point.

Was it listed at $800 before or higher?  I'm literally too lazy to check.

21 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Seller says that he "resisted" it (I'm guessing he meant re-listed) because the prior buyer backed out because he was unaware that ebay was now adding sales tax. So if you believe his story (not saying that I do), there would have been a bidder at some point.

Was it listed at $800 before or higher?  I'm literally too lazy to check.

It's been at $800 + 75 shipping for each of the listings I've seen.

The finish seemed so opaque that I was wondering if it was a refin.  Were there opaque ones (not including graphics)?  I thought all showed the wood grain.

1 hour ago, jginsj said:

The finish seemed so opaque that I was wondering if it was a refin.  Were there opaque ones (not including graphics)?  I thought all showed the wood grain.

Yes - Black, Ferrari Red, Candy Apple Red, ice Blue Metallic, Midnight Blue Metallic, White, Yellow, Orange, Surf Green, all the Graphics...

I asked some questions on the first listing.  Seller said he would get me some better pics... He never came through with those.

On 3/31/2020 at 9:48 PM, bsteff666 said:

Seller said he would get me some better pics... He never came through with those.

That has never been necessary at that asking price. Until a couple of months ago, that is.

My first Hamer of all was a red, non-checkerboard Special exactly like this one and the only one I regret selling.  They're real sleepers in that they look pretty boring without any of the fancies, but it had all those redundant gear page words that spill out of peoples mouths to describe the best guitars.  Just a fantastic guitar. 

Mine sold to someone in the Northeast but the pictures aren't good enough to know if it's the one I owned.  Mine did have the original case and original bridge pickup when I sold it about a decade ago.

10 minutes ago, cynic said:

My first Hamer of all was a red, non-checkerboard Special exactly like this one and the only one I regret selling.  They're real sleepers in that they look pretty boring without any of the fancies, but it had all those redundant gear page words that spill out of peoples mouths to describe the best guitars.  Just a fantastic guitar. 

Mine sold to someone in the Northeast but the pictures aren't good enough to know if it's the one I owned.  Mine did have the original case and original bridge pickup when I sold it about a decade ago.

My first  Hamer was a Special I bought used in the high school, mid 80s.  It was a transparent red with a good flame & checkerboard logo.  I broke the headstock, routed a bigger bridge pickup hole for an EMG and drilled a hole in the top for a mini switch.  Real dumb.  Then I moved on to an era of Kramer guitars with Floyd's  
I had knew what I had was a great guitar but became a little out of style, of course I wish I'd kept it. 

I saw it for sale about 15 yrs after selling it.  As I anonymously looked at it, the guy at the counter was telling me all the work they'd done to it  to restore it and what some dork had previously done.  I fessed up to being the dork.  I don't rally have good pictures of it either but could identify it in a heartbeat.

Archived