Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1980 Special - how is price?

46 minutes ago, kizanski said:

That has never been necessary at that asking price. Until a couple of months ago, that is.

True.  But when he could not tell me if there was a serial number visible or not... I asked.    I don’t think its a refin...

1 minute ago, bsteff666 said:

True.  But when he could not tell me if there was a serial number visible or not... I asked.    I don’t think its a refin...

No, I don't think it is a refin either, but the seller could be a bit dense.
Some people also don't know what they're doing; posting blurry cell phone photos and thinking that's good enough, not answering simple questions about a serial number, not lowering the price after it fails to sell 4 times at the current price.  The list goes on.

But again, pre-corona, that gets snatched up 13 minutes after it's posted at that price, so he's probably still in that mindset. You know... dense.

I could not stand it anymore.  I put in my bid.  This one is on its way to me.

I will share the details.

It arrived safely.  

Original finish.  Serial number clearly visible as can be.  Seller obviously just did not want to disclose it.

Bridge pickup and bridge volume pot changed.

The nut has been changed.

Truss rod cover looks to be a recent (Gibson) replacement.

Normal signs of wear & tear...but its nice.  I gotta admit...part of me hoped it was a refin... Making it a candidate for an interesting finish or graphic...or possibly a Junior conversion... But that’s not going to happen.  Its too nice for that.

The finish is a deep candy apple red with a fine metallic, but you can still see the grain through it. And that top is really nicely flamed.  Better than a lot of transparent finished ones I’ve seen.  I’m surprised they didn’t give this one a trans finish.

Pics to come.

23 minutes ago, bsteff666 said:

It arrived safely.  

Original finish.  Serial number clearly visible as can be.  Seller obviously just did not want to disclose it.

Bridge pickup and bridge volume pot changed.

The nut has been changed.

Truss rod cover looks to be a recent (Gibson) replacement.

Normal signs of wear & tear...but its nice.  I gotta admit...part of me hoped it was a refin... Making it a candidate for an interesting finish or graphic...or possibly a Junior conversion... But that’s not going to happen.  Its too nice for that.

The finish is a deep candy apple red with a fine metallic, but you can still see the grain through it. And that top is really nicely flamed.  Better than a lot of transparent finished ones I’ve seen.  I’m surprised they didn’t give this one a trans finish.

Pics to come.

Excellent 👍 Looking forward to the pictures. The seller pics were not good.

Very cool!   That looks like a fun little l rocker!

Oddly enough reading this thread had me thinking of Specials, and I was leading through a book with lotsa Hamer pics at the desk tonight and THIS fell out from a natural ‘81 Special I snagged a while ago...actually beat the $350 going rate at t time!  

CFAB48BB-3602-4FFD-B6E4-0170C6775BBD.jpeg

I’m just wondering if it’s a reverb vs ebay thing.     I’ve sold a couple things on reverb, Craigslist etc.  but I just find ebay to be a graveyard.   Selection not great.   Sellers using crummy photos.    It’s been ok for non musical instruments just seems they’ve been gutted by reverb. 

11 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Why the B.O.C. emblem on the receipt?

No idea!   It was on the original...

Archived