Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Centaura wiring question/ideas

scottcald

Question

I know the Centauras originally came with I think a JB and 2 SSL-1 pickups.  Looking to change it up (maybe just the single coils) but some things had been changed out already when I got mine.  So, questions are:

Did the Centauras originally have 500k or 250k pots?  

Those with Centauras, what pickups are you using currently and do you like them?

Thanks!

13 answers to this question

I cannot answer the question as I don't know the answer but where/when I have a mix of humbucker's/single coils, I personally go with 300k pots all round. My choice would be CTS 300k linear all round but I have always preferred tone pots on volume as well as tone. I'd also go with a .033uF cap (Russian PIO is my choice)...

On 3/31/2020 at 3:31 PM, Victor (Fret Friend) said:

I have always preferred tone pots on volume as well as tone

Thanks, Victor.  Appreciate the input, I hadn't thought about an in between value.  Above, do you mean linear taper on both vs. audio taper?  

2 pots marked Hamer FR8526. Serial numbers are close R1378939 and R137893 with the last number covered by solder in the second pic. Edited to add that I just checked my red Hamer Special, which I know has Hamer 500k pots. They are also Hamer FR8526.

image.png

image.png

I've got one or two Centauras - I really, really like them.

At the moment, I'm playing one with an EMG set in it - an 89 in the bridge and a pair of SAs - the it has the SPC control (instead of a usual tone control treble roll off) which is cool, and can turn the SAs into a pretty solid humbucker character.

Plus its dead quiet in operation.

The ones with the SSL1, and JB in the bridge are a good solid set up, and are kind of business as usual stratty through to rock bridge pickup sound #1 with the JB. one of the ones I have in this config has the presetable preamp for boooooost - which is fun.

I plan to replace the JB on one of these with a PATB1 because its one of my favourite pickups.

I have one with PATB1 in the bridge and a pair of PATBstk in the middle and neck - and I do rate those pickups and the guitar has a very meaty character, not so stratty as the previous ones. I do like these pickups, and they do look cool too.

In the HH models, they have a pair of Slammers - which are my other favourite pickups (I know they vary over the years).

Let me know if I can help more on this!
Ben.

The earliest Centaura HSSs came with Slammer HBs and Slammer Single Coils - that would be a set up I think would be excellent too.

7 hours ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

The earliest Centaura HSSs came with Slammer HBs and Slammer Single Coils - that would be a set up I think would be excellent too.

Thanks for the info.  I do have just that bunch of EMGs laying around.  I may try that out just you know, since I'm at home and all.....

When I first got this Centaura it did have the JB with 2 SSL1 pickup configuration, but the bridge was really shrill for me and the neck didn't balance properly.  The Strat tones in 2 and 4 were nice, though.  

22 hours ago, scottcald said:

Thanks, Victor.  Appreciate the input, I hadn't thought about an in between value.  Above, do you mean linear taper on both vs. audio taper?  

Linear taper on everything! As an aside, Gibson originally used 300k pots on guitars with humbuckers. Also, when you measue a pot, it normally reads a little lower than it's value so 300's are likely to be closer to 280 (and 250's closer to 230-ish). I faffed about for ages with my HB/sijngle Tele with pot values until I settled on 300's all round...

2 hours ago, Victor (Fret Friend) said:

Linear taper on everything! As an aside, Gibson originally used 300k pots on guitars with humbuckers. Also, when you measue a pot, it normally reads a little lower than it's value so 300's are likely to be closer to 280 (and 250's closer to 230-ish). I faffed about for ages with my HB/sijngle Tele with pot values until I settled on 300's all round...

Thanks for the clarification. After my EMG test, I’ll try out some 300k pots.  

ETA: My 2013 Les Paul has 300k pots now that you mention that.  

Updating:

Yesterday I put in the I had 'em laying around EMG 89/SA/SA bunch.  I do like the sounds of them, but not sure I'll continue with them. The EMG stuff I had is all non solder which was nice and easy for testing out.  The 89 doesn't parallel the strings properly and I don't want to chisel any wood away to make it do that. It's alder with the maple fretboard (the main reason I bought it).   Looks good though with them:

IMG_1581.jpg

I do like the tone of the EMGs but given that everything is tightly packed in, no separate battery compartment and the jack is really tight in there, I've ordered some 300k pots on Victor's advice with some .033 caps to have on hand.  Couldn't find any PIO .033 in stock to order at my usual suspects, so I subbed orange drops.   

I 'm going to either put the Classic stack plus or cool rails in the neck and middle and one of the following in the bridge:  '59, Custom 5, the original JB, or a Custom Custom.  I have all these laying around which is why they're the choices (as the EMGs were already here).

Thoughts are welcomed, since it'll be a few days until I do this.  

7 hours ago, scottcald said:

I do like the tone of the EMGs but given that everything is tightly packed in, no separate battery compartment and the jack is really tight in there, I've ordered some 300k pots on Victor's advice with some .033 caps to have on hand.  Couldn't find any PIO .033 in stock to order at my usual suspects, so I subbed orange drops.   

I 'm going to either put the Classic stack plus or cool rails in the neck and middle and one of the following in the bridge:  '59, Custom 5, the original JB, or a Custom Custom.  I have all these laying around which is why they're the choices (as the EMGs were already here).

Thoughts are welcomed, since it'll be a few days until I do this.  

Any caps will do so long as the value is right. I do find that my clients would rather pay 10x more for a Russian PIO though (yeah, it makes no sense)...

12 hours ago, Victor (Fret Friend) said:

Any caps will do so long as the value is right. I do find that my clients would rather pay 10x more for a Russian PIO though (yeah, it makes no sense)...

Thanks, Victor.  I've wanted to try the PIO ones, but you know, harder to get that value now in the current situation.  I may try one later just for the sake of it.  

Archived