Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Why does the Hamer headstock chip paint around the tuners?

Hamer headstocks often gets chips of paint missing around the tuners. I don't think I've ever seen this on old Gibsons etc. Why is this? 

Hamer79Sunburst1331_6.jpg

91267919_10219056064605996_4349360634442

51 minutes ago, Disturber said:

Hamer headstocks often gets chips of paint missing around the tuners. I don't think I've ever seen this on old Gibsons etc. Why is this? 

Headstockeritus?

2 hours ago, hamertek98 said:

Overtightening.

/\ This.

The Gibson's are pressed in (and usually not all of the way. The Hamer's are bolted down by some banana-eating, Brent-type home hobbyist, wannabe looothier.

29 minutes ago, kizanski said:

/\ This.

The Gibson's are pressed in (and usually not all of the way. The Hamer's are bolted down by some banana-eating, Brent-type home hobbyist, wannabe looothier.

What did a Banana ever do to you? 

3 hours ago, hamertek98 said:

Overtightening.

Probably...............................I'd say fragile "Lacquer" on the older models....................70's but there are certainly  guitars older than Hamer and that also used "NITRO" and they don't have it. I had it an both of my 1979 Hamer "Sunbursts".lGscqn6.jpg

Those older Hamer finishes seem to chip and check worse than other guitars from the time period.  It might be that Hamers were more played than other guitars, but I do not see Les Pauls or SGs from that time period with the same finish cracking. 

I’m not a guitar scientist but, Gibson’s are fitted with a quite hard veneer overlay on top of the softer neck/headstock wood. The tuners bite into something really hard.

Hamer tuner washers bite straight into the softer mahogany neck/headstock wood... the hard maple piece runs along the middle right?

Are the Gibson veneers even painted? Aren’t they dyed black?

17 minutes ago, zenmindbeginner said:

I’m not a guitar scientist but, Gibson’s are fitted with a quite hard veneer overlay on top of the softer neck/headstock wood. The tuners bite into something really hard.

Hamer tuner washers bite straight into the softer mahogany neck/headstock wood... the hard maple piece runs along the middle right?

Are the Gibson veneers even painted? Aren’t they dyed black?

At one time the veneer wood on the headstock  of GIbson guitars was Holly was it not? Holly wood [Not to be confused with "HOLLYWOOD" is considered a HARD wood.And I thought like you the headstock veneer was dyed black then clear lacquered.

Why do all the hamer amber knobs crack?  

Also why does the binding come loose and shrink so bad on many of the studios? I see lots of them where the binding is pulling away in the curves. I assume this one is since it’s celluloid and shrinks really bad.  

Also it might be called hameritis, but I sure see a lot of 90’s  And early 2000’s Gibsons with clearcoat lifting problems.  Especially on the headstocks.  

This has always been an issue on 70s-80s Hamers and even well-preserved specimens seem to succumb to it.  Drives me nuts as the overall quality is so good and I still love the way they play!  The Electraglide SMG has it too and overall it's been pretty well taken care of for 35 years now... 

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

But it adds character and "vintage vibe"!

On Fender CS guitars you have to pay extra for that ageing/relicing process.

IMG_1770.jpeg

Gabe 😀

I won‘t say this is a bad place to live, Gabe!

Archived