Hamer Fan Club Message Center

TDC: Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne

RobB

In addition to a slew of great tunes for FOW, he wrote one of my all time faves...

This one hit hard - always a fan of Adam’s stuff in FOW, Tinted Windows, Ivy, etc.   insane talent and a nice guy.

6 minutes ago, Disturber said:

Anyone know if he had underlying diseases?

Chris might know... of course the media will want to paint a picture that he ran marathons and did Cross fit everyday. I did a “Google” search for Adam Schlesinger underlying conditions and got nothing but boilerplate Coronavirus this and that.

This sucks.     That Thing You Do wouldn’t have been anywhere the movie without that great title track.   

Adam also co wrote one of my favorite Bowling For Soup songs.   High School Never Ends.    Not that I would know cos I went to an all boys high school.  But I could imagine it was exactly like this song. Lol.    Long running joke that many people thought Staceys Mom was a bowling for soup song so BFS covered it,  so they could play it when people yelled for it. 

Rip Adam and Ill remember the fantastic, music, producing, creating.   

1 hour ago, DaveL said:

Adam also co wrote one of my favorite Bowling For Soup songs. 

I didn't know it was possible to have one favorite BFS song, much less more than one.

I actually loved their last album best. Great writer, and kind of an inspiration for all us office drones who loved melody and knew we could never be rock gods. The melancholy of this song is so appropriate.

That Thing You Do movie is a favorite because (I felt) it nailed the spirit of the era. The music is great. I had no idea he was involved until this morning. What a sad waste. R.I.P.

7 hours ago, Disturber said:

Anyone know if he had underlying diseases?

6 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

Chris might know... of course the media will want to paint a picture that he ran marathons and did Cross fit everyday. I did a “Google” search for Adam Schlesinger underlying conditions and got nothing but boilerplate Coronavirus this and that.

I saw one source that said he'd fought pancreatic cancer for 7 months last year.  I've looked for confirmation of that but not found it.  Of course I'm not a reporter or journalist so my time, interest and resources to track that down are pretty low.

RIP Adam.  The guy definitely got around, and there's also sort of a CT connection.  From his Wikipedia entry:

"Schlesinger was also in a side project band called Tinted Windows formed by guitarist James Iha, previously of The Smashing Pumpkins and A Perfect Circle, singer Taylor Hanson of Hanson, and Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick, and recorded and toured with them in 2009 and 2010."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Schlesinger

38 minutes ago, Jack C said:

The Tinted Windows album is pretty good. Very poppy, as you would expect with that lineup.

It is a KILLER album. I've worn out my copy of that CD. Not a bad track on it.

12 hours ago, JOE_CPWE said:

I saw one source that said he'd fought pancreatic cancer for 7 months last year.  I've looked for confirmation of that but not found it.  Of course I'm not a reporter or journalist so my time, interest and resources to track that down are pretty low.

I haven't heard of that before - do you have a source?   A former co-worker/friend went to Williams with him and still kept in close touch over the years.  I could check with her, as she would definitely know if something like that was true.

He was born on Halloween and died on April Fools Day.

If a person who never listened to Fountains of Wayne before wanted to pick something up, what would you recommend?

Archived