Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Zakk Wylde revisited because what else is there to do?

I'll agree with the sentiment that Zakk is kinda a pick squealing pentatonic parody of himself these days, but back in the day, I really loved how different is playing was.  I've been learning some old stuff I always kinda wanted to get around to from the late 80s and early 90s era of pop metal and was reminded how much I loved this solo back when I was learning how to play.  You don't hear a lot of radio hit pop metal bands of the era seamlessly throwing in country fried lick in with all the shred as Zakk used to do back in the day.  He's probably the first guy who made me realize country leads could fit in rock and were actually worth digging into, where my 13-year-old metalhead self realized, "Damn, this shit is hard to play!"

On 4/3/2020 at 12:29 AM, LucSulla said:

I'll agree with the sentiment that Zakk is kinda a pick squealing pentatonic parody of himself these days, but back in the day, I really loved how different is playing was.  I've been learning some old stuff I always kinda wanted to get around to from the late 80s and early 90s era of pop metal and was reminded how much I loved this solo back when I was learning how to play.  You don't hear a lot of radio hit pop metal bands of the era seamlessly throwing in country fried lick in with all the shred as Zakk used to do back in the day.  He's probably the first guy who made me realize country leads could fit in rock and were actually worth digging into, where my 13-year-old metalhead self realized, "Damn, this shit is hard to play!"

Yes, I much preferred zakk’s older stuff from No Rest for the Wicked and No More Tears. A couple of his earlier BLS albums are decent but I agree with the “parody of himself” statement. Guy sure can play, tho. 

I watched that Live and Loud VHS so many times, had the double CD as well, with the speaker grill cover...  always liked that guitar he played in the video you posted. Wasn’t his normal Les Paul. Always figured it was a dean because of the split headstock, now I’m not so sure. The Split shape is a little different and it’s not a Cadillac...

Any idea which make/model it is...?

P&G is a FINE ass album! One of my favorite solos is from No More Tears tho. I totally get the "parody" thing, but I still love some of the riffage on his newer stuff... I can't help being a sucker for a heavy riff... 'Fields Of Unforgiveness' immediately comes to mind.

2 hours ago, LucSulla said:

@Travis, I'd forgotten all about that guitar until I posted that vid.  Seems it is one of these:

https://www.dhaitreguitars.com/shop.html

I was looking at the D’Haitre Guitars website. I didn’t know Andy Beech made guitars for Zakk Wylde or the Prince “Cloud” and “Symbol” guitars. Wow!

Guitar George

I'm in the same camp as those who found his initial breakout with Ozzy to be interesting but his later years turning into a parody. This was never more apparent than the self indulgent, marathon, pentatonic wankfest he did in the Generation Axe tour. Basically, during his segment of the show, he did a ridiculous non-stop, traveling solo over Still Got the Blues (I had to check my video from that segment of the show - it got to be so tedious... I kinda zoned out) where he walked all over , up and down the venue's aisles, security dudes in tow. Like a redneck biker version of James Brown.

Eventually, he was joined by Nuno and then Vai (admittedly kinda cool from the fanboy aspect, as they stopped and traded runs literally 6 feet away from me) But there is only so many ways you can play blazing pentatonic blues runs interlaced with squeals and vibrato. I'd have been much happier if he had gotten back into some of his country fried licks. Those were at least unique for their time and placement in a heavy metal format. Instead we got 4 or 5 songs of nonstop squeals, vibrato and 32nd note alternate picking. Oh yeah, and the wah...

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 4.45.14 PM.png

Archived