Hamer Fan Club Message Center

lockdown-induced GAS

Guilty.... 2007 (first year) Fender 52’ Hot Rod Telecaster.

Hmmm, sideways...even if I rotate it on my phone first Grrrrrr. Well you guys get the idea, besides its under 7lbs and has a great acoustic voice....that's all you care about anyway 🙂 

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, RacerX said:

Guilty.... 2007 (first year) Fender 52’ Hot Rod Telecaster.

I've wanted one of those since they first came out. Couldn't decide on butterscotch or black, then I couldn't find one to try... That's fantastic. Very well - regarded on the TDPRI, and they know their Teles.

So in the spirit of downsizing whilst still succumbing to GAS, this exquisite instrument has just come into the fold.

I have in the last two months sold seven guitars including four Hamers and this Gibson is the third that has come in.

2004 Gibson Custom Shop Johnny A. It's a really cool guitar. 6.6 pounds, not much bigger than an LP, fully hollow and really resonant. ArnieZ's Epiphone F.S. posting led me down a rabbit hole and I picked this one up for under market value, (whatever that means, if there even is a market). It's is a pretty high end guitar, but I dig it and it sounds different than anything else I have. And it looks cool..........

Gibson Johnny A.jpg

Quarantine day 60:  New pandemic project complete!

I had this old Schecter SuperRock pickup in the parts stash, and It really needed to be in a guitar. The neck/hardware from another Charvel partscaster has been staring back at me while its body is off on an extended paint/refinish adventure... soo my Internet meanderings got the better of me, another body soon arrived, and rebirth of a partscaster began.

• Neck is a Musikraft Charvel spec
  • Body was from a 80s Model 1a, and I modified it - filling the fulcrum trem holes and installing Floyd studs (wood screw version on this one)
  • I had every intention to refinish the body, but the aged white/muted yellow thing kinda grew on me...
  • Pickguard was from Guitar Fetish, modified to fit the Floyd
  • Volume pot is a Bournes push/pull wired for series/parallel switching
  • The SuperRock rocks
  • Gold OFR and hardware may go back to the other guitar eventually, but I do think it looks nice here
  • Nailed the setup on the first pass! (I hardly ever gauge neck shims right on the first attempt)

Color reminds me of an Yngwie strat, pickup reminds me of my Schecter PT, and the overall aesthetic was inspired by Gary Moore's Charvels... so behold : the "Gary J Malmsend" tribute!

scInrPC.png

On 5/9/2020 at 6:09 PM, Camstone said:

So in the spirit of downsizing whilst still succumbing to GAS, this exquisite instrument has just come into the fold.

I have in the last two months sold seven guitars including four Hamers and this Gibson is the third that has come in.

2004 Gibson Custom Shop Johnny A. It's a really cool guitar. 6.6 pounds, not much bigger than an LP, fully hollow and really resonant. ArnieZ's Epiphone F.S. posting led me down a rabbit hole and I picked this one up for under market value, (whatever that means, if there even is a market). It's is a pretty high end guitar, but I dig it and it sounds different than anything else I have. And it looks cool..........

Gibson Johnny A.jpg

Can I call dibs if you ever tire of it? 😉

Just when I think the market has died, all of a sudden multiple buyers showed up. Besides the Turner Model One, these two have found new owners:

49903558807_4d123ed9da_h.jpg

45620895664_cc11b160d4_c.jpg

And two more are potentially going away soon if we come to terms....

43211637544_d9a8080189_b.jpg

32600951547_f6dec53443_c.jpg

Well, that was good enough to temporarily lift my no buy freeze. What can I say? A bit over the top, but it is blue. First Knaggs  have ever tried. I have always had a "close but no cigar" with "Strats".  This may just break my hex. Very pleased thus far.

49903566422_8d37677781_k.jpg

I made the mistake of adding Reverb to my phone so now I check it literally every day. Most searches are Hamer, Gibson V's, SG's,  and Explorers, and McNaughts. But lately I've got the Iommi bug and have been considering the Laney LA30BL which would then necessitate an attenuator. Haven't pulled the trigger on that yet but considering.

I did manage to buy the Catlin Bread Sabbra Caddabra and the Black Country Customs TI Boost to cure my Iommi fix for a bit. I'm afraid I'll need to search for an SG with P90's now (and actually have looked already 😨). Good thing the cool white ones are stupid money now so that's not happening..

The SabbraCaddabra already has the Laney Super Group preamp. Why not just use that and the TI Boost with the amp(s) you already own? The Laney head and a usable attenuator is going to hover around (at least...) $2k.

Yeah, got to much time to scroll the internet. Got this a few days ago.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:48 PM, Scarab85 said:

I made the mistake of adding Reverb to my phone so now I check it literally every day. Most searches are Hamer, Gibson V's, SG's,  and Explorers, and McNaughts. But lately I've got the Iommi bug and have been considering the Laney LA30BL which would then necessitate an attenuator. Haven't pulled the trigger on that yet but considering.

I did manage to buy the Catlin Bread Sabbra Caddabra and the Black Country Customs TI Boost to cure my Iommi fix for a bit. I'm afraid I'll need to search for an SG with P90's now (and actually have looked already 😨). Good thing the cool white ones are stupid money now so that's not happening..

On 5/17/2020 at 10:24 PM, RobB said:

The SabbraCaddabra already has the Laney Super Group preamp. Why not just use that and the TI Boost with the amp(s) you already own? The Laney head and a usable attenuator is going to hover around (at least...) $2k.

And an HH Speaker can be had for cheap as well. I used Laneys for 10 years if you can believe that with nothing else coming into the fold. LH50R and a VH100R with GS412 with HH Speakers. When Laney launched the reissue heads, I almost broke down and bought one. I did get a chance to play one in Chicago and yet an attenuator is a must. 

I hear what you are saying @RobB. Could definitely do that. I always just wanted to try and have as close to what Tony used from an amp, guitar, boost setup to get the "vibe". Now that I have those two pedals they do create some of that mystique pretty well. There isn't a replacement though in having that tube saturation from a non master Laney like he used. It's a "bucket list" item if you will. Could create it cheaper but want to feel what it would have been like to work with the gear he had since he is such an idol of mine. The amps I'm using are not really "classic" in that sense (Carol Ann, Freidman, VHT) so would like to own a more vintage style amp for this purpose. Again this is G.A.S. talking. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Scarab85 said:

I hear what you are saying @RobB. Could definitely do that. I always just wanted to try and have as close to what Tony used from an amp, guitar, boost setup to get the "vibe". Now that I have those two pedals they do create some of that mystique pretty well. There isn't a replacement though in having that tube saturation from a non master Laney like he used. It's a "bucket list" item if you will. Could create it cheaper but want to feel what it would have been like to work with the gear he had since he is such an idol of mine. The amps I'm using are not really "classic" in that sense (Carol Ann, Freidman, VHT) so would like to own a more vintage style amp for this purpose. Again this is G.A.S. talking. 🙂 

All true, no doubt. By all means, go for it. I'm just thinking low budget in these troubled economic times. After I sell my Splawn combo and Soldano Astroverb head, I'll be down to one amp (Reinhardt 18 combo). What works for me is certainly not an arbiter for anyone else.

I have generally been doing good at sending things out the door and avoiding new stuff........I mean I pulled the plug on "the band" two years ago. But whether it is boredom or something worse after being locked down.....Or just old habits that are hard to break.

One of the relative unknown guitar builders is David Myka in Seattle. He is probably the only remaining person I would commission for a custom order IF he ever reopens his order book. As best I know, his total career production is not a lot over 150, that over about 17 years or so. Anyway, one of his earlier pieces popped up. Such sightings are rare and hard to ignore. Spruce top thin hollowbody, lacewood body (seems similar to mahogany, tone-wise). Ebony and claro walnut. Some other little wiring  niceties (as is typical on many of his builds). Carbon fiber in the neck, alongside the truss rod for stability AND to eliminate possible dead spots. Great quality and one of the nicer (IMO) neck/body joints around.

First impressions are very good. It inexplicably arrived strung with 9/42 strings on an archtop (and shorter scale) guitar. I will put on some fresh and fatter strings. For now, I will just say it makes me think of a Hamer Improv in some respects. Interestingly, it seems much more resistant to feedback than the Improv ever was.

'Nuff said......Pix:

49943284386_56d6d67728_z.jpg

49942760298_7d0eb2b272_h.jpg

49943571547_9c0e38834d_h.jpg

49942763328_76812dc776_h.jpg

Well, in the last month or so I have started gassing hard for a new amp...I just sent my Lil Dawg 5e3 off to my collaborator AC for a song...and will need to replace it. A Lil Dawg Pug would do nicely. But there is a Gravelin pickup I need to buy too. 

Archived