Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Pacifica 904 Tobacco Burst

Warmoth neck. $999 on the 'Verb.

No affiliation.

xclqisclzbmaxbabolou.jpg

I should point out that those two screws at the bridge pivot points can be a problem, or so I have read. They get loose, move around. Not great.

904 bridge.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JGale said:

I will be able to let you know how it measures up in a few days.

Can’t wait for the full tone report!

1 hour ago, Ua D said:

You should see what people ask for the old SG’s. I like em, but I’ll stick with the abundance of USA hamers to be had for less  

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=yamaha sg-2000

IIRC Carlos Santana played that model. The price for the old ones reflects this... 

15 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

Some of those were finished and assembled by Hamer in Arlington Heights.  

The PAC904s?

On 4/8/2020 at 4:31 PM, rugby1970 said:

To be very honest I didn't know that a Yamaha guitar could be rated this highly. I like many of there product but who knew?

The PAC 1412s are rated even more highly.  Hard to find one for less than $2200 in a molested condition. Unmolested goes higher.  Strangely, even higher than the PAC USA 1/2 Customs, which are supposed to be higher level guitars, and were the ones assembled by Hamer (I think).

The thing is, you get to the 12xx level (like RGX 1212, or the PAC 1221 or PAC 1212), and you already have the top of the line pups, top of the line trem, equally thin neck with dual carbon fiber truss rods (so the neck will never twist or snap), equally low action.  It's just the 1412s have the bling, I guess.

The PAC 921 and PAC 912/712 are 3 of the best guitars I've ever played.  Just playable as all get out. Great tone from the stock Dimarzios, too.  

The PAC 904 is really rare, tho.  I've seen more 1412s for the sale than 904s.  This may be the 2nd one I've ever seen on the market, although I only look  sporadically.

I’m not sure which model numbers they were.  I’m going off the cuff here but I would say this was around 1995.   Frank cut a deal to finish/assemble those because Hamer’s finishing/assembly area had a greater output capacity than the wood shop.  He was looking for ways to bring in additional income.  Perhaps a sign of things to come.

i worked on the neck line and did the fretwork at Hamer at the time.  I remember being very impressed with the fretwork on those.  I believe the logos were thin abalone.

Dark. Really dark. The single coils are almost unusable. They sound like a heavy blanket soaked with motor oil. The bridge is actually two single coils and while interesting for a minute, they suck.

The volume comes on 100% at about 1/8 of a turn and does nothing after that. The tone just throws more oil on the blanket. 

WTF, O?

The heft and the feel is pure luxury though. Four position switch, no pull on pots. Very quiet unplugged, more so than the other two.

Now I'm torn between messing materially with a rare instrument (still only $800 rare) and pulling all the electronics and starting over.

I have two Alnico II single coils and a High Order Maximus (A5, 9.6 PAF) on hand

What to do?

10 hours ago, JGale said:

Dark. Really dark. The single coils are almost unusable. They sound like a heavy blanket soaked with motor oil. The bridge is actually two single coils and while interesting for a minute, they suck.

The volume comes on 100% at about 1/8 of a turn and does nothing after that. The tone just throws more oil on the blanket. 

WTF, O?

The heft and the feel is pure luxury though. Four position switch, no pull on pots. Very quiet unplugged, more so than the other two.

Now I'm torn between messing materially with a rare instrument (still only $800 rare) and pulling all the electronics and starting over.

I have two Alnico II single coils and a High Order Maximus (A5, 9.6 PAF) on hand

What to do?

Change the pickups. They can be changed back to stock if you end up selling it. 

Archived