Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Power Pop Bands - Name a few for me, please

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting late 80s on you here.  Not sure if they fit the genre, but they do to me:

The Pursuit of Happiness, eh?:

Screaming Blue Messiahs

And I think the Smithereens qualify:

4 hours ago, Toadroller said:

Getting late 80s on you here.  Not sure if they fit the genre, but they do to me:

The Pursuit of Happiness, eh?:

Screaming Blue Messiahs

TPOH and the Smithereens, oh yeah!  I've got that first TPOH CD and it was pretty good.  Giving me flashbacks!  Smithereens were just a great band, period!!!! 

I've also included the three Under the Covers albums from Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet in my playlist:

Good stuff, guys. Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

18 hours ago, BruceM said:

I've also included the three Under the Covers albums from Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet in my playlist:

Good stuff, guys. Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

I listen to those regularly.  Was fortunate enough to catch their show twice, and (life's work done!) got to hang with Susanna and the band afterwards.  Matthew is pretty antisocial, so stayed in another room most of the time, but did come out for pizza.  

On 4/6/2020 at 11:47 AM, Toadroller said:

Definitely. To my ears, the best power pop band of the late '80s/early '90s.  They had some success, but they should have been f'ing yuge.  Just one more reason I was mostly put-off by the grunge wave.

Pat was a clever songwriter and stylistically, the band walked the boundary lines of power pop. To wit, they could go from hard-edged rock to Beatlesque stuff like this:

I love this genre of music! So many great bands and incredible songs. In checking the wikipedia page that Crunchee linked to, I noticed my old band listed: Cotton Mather! If any of you are curious, have a listen:

I vividly recall that damn song being in heavy rotation on radio and MTV and wanting those guys to choke on their clickin', tickin' Chinese chicken.

23 hours ago, robbie said:

mini-bike  

good luck finding it, but I know a guy if your interested.   😜    

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't have this in my music library, but I found the CD in a shoebox upstairs! Woo hoo! I also found my copy of The Best of the HFC, Volumes 1 & 2. ha.

The Telefones were a local DFW band in the early 80s, usually labeled as new wave, but they had some power pop elements;

We covered "Jerry Godzilla" at my 8th grade talent show, and I sat in w/ them on that tune when I was in 9th grade. 

Their 2nd album featured Mark Griffin on horn & keys, who later went on to fame as MC 900 FOOT JESUS;

EDIT - 1st time I saw the Telefones, they were opening for the Plimsouls, who were great

Ohios finest Doug Gillard! Like. c'mon!! Before his involvement with Guided By Voices and pre-Cobra Verde, this totally and absolutely qualifies as Power Pop in my mind. A little more rocking yes, but this kicks massive ass. Better than the GBV rehash in my humble opinion. 

Archived