Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How do I check if Gibson R8 is the real deal?

Disturber

Question

I might go and check out a Les Paul R8 plaintop that is for sale just close to where I live. It's a 2014 apparently and it's for sale at a good price.

What should I look at specifically to make sure it is the real deal? Serial number, something in the build?

23 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Disturber said:

I might go and check out a Les Paul R8 plaintop that is for sale just close to where I live. It's a 2014 apparently and it's for sale at a good price.

What should I look at specifically to make sure it is the real deal? Serial number, something in the build?

I own a Historic R6 but I'm not a Gibson expert by any means. From what I've seen there are extensive Gibson serial # databases and IIRC  the Historics are well covered ( http://www.historiclespauls.com/ ). The other way to tell is to play it for 5 minutes and if it's still in tune then it's not a Gibson. :lol:

j/k, I love my R6 B)

Relic'd by the boys out at RS Guitarworks.

spacer.png

This is from a sticky at the Gibson Forum;
From Gibson's site;
1) HISTORIC '50s SOLIDBODIES, EXAMPLE: 7 1001 (1957 Goldtop)
-the first digit represents the year being reissued (1957)
-the 2nd digit represents the year the guitar was made (2001)
-the remaining 3 (or sometimes 4) digits represent the guitar's place in the number of historics made that year

bring a small phillips screw driver with you to inspect the cavities, etc. the trapazoid inlays will have sharp corners. Tuner tulip buttons will have one ring. input jack plate will be very thin cream plastic. gibson reissue fake bumble bee caps.

2 hours ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

I own a Historic R6 but I'm not a Gibson expert by any means. From what I've seen there are extensive Gibson serial # databases and IIRC  the Historics are well covered ( http://www.historiclespauls.com/ ). The other way to tell is to play it for 5 minutes and if it's still in tune then it's not a Gibson. :lol:

j/k, I love my R6 B)

Relic'd by the boys out at RS Guitarworks.

spacer.png

This is from a sticky at the Gibson Forum;
From Gibson's site;
1) HISTORIC '50s SOLIDBODIES, EXAMPLE: 7 1001 (1957 Goldtop)
-the first digit represents the year being reissued (1957)
-the 2nd digit represents the year the guitar was made (2001)
-the remaining 3 (or sometimes 4) digits represent the guitar's place in the number of historics made that year

Which year would serial 8133x be? 

In theory the seller should have the "case candy" including an original certificate from Gibson. From what I gather, expect a fair discount from "market value" if that is "lost".

33 minutes ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

I guess that serial number would make it an Historic R8, circa 2001 or 2011,,, 

Seller claims its a 2014 R8. Guess he is wrong. 

There is a Pre Pack Checklist and service guarantee cards included. And a black book thing that says Gibson Custom shop on it. Guess it is the certificate. 

On 4/12/2020 at 11:18 AM, Disturber said:

Seller claims its a 2014 R8. Guess he is wrong. 

There is a Pre Pack Checklist and service guarantee cards included. And a black book thing that says Gibson Custom shop on it. Guess it is the certificate. 

That's interesting, if the certificate says 2014 then this whole Gibson serial number thing is hogwash or that certificate is incorrect/fake.

21 minutes ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

That's interesting, if the certificate says 2014 then this whole Gibson serial number thing is hogwash or that certificate is incorrect/fake.

These are not mutually-exclusive.

16 hours ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

I checked the guitar out yesterday. It is super sweet. Very light. One of the lightest LP I've every played. I think around 3,5-3,7 kilos.  It felt like a solid body. And the Certificate does not say it's a chambered version. Pretty robust neck. But nice to play, not to wide. The guy only had some kind of digital amp in his PC, so I played it through his computer monitors. Hard to say how it sounded. All guitars sound the same through digital amps I think. Could as well have plugged in an Epiphone for all I care. But the acoustic tone was good. Bright and clear. Low output pickups, don't know if they are Burstbuckers. They seemed lower in output. All solderings untouched. "Bumblee bee" caps. That should be original for a 2011 R8 LP.

The guy who is selling the guitar was a really nice guy. I went to his flat and he did seem totally honest and legit. Young dude, pretty good guitar player actually. 

No date on the check up card. I forgot to look at the Certificate. But I don't think that the Gibson Certificates has dates on them? I have a photo of the certificate. No date there.

y4mIEVRARiHN0CJk0l9L-2qQP9k3Xhk8h9n3NSrD

y4mMRQ4hL2MrZkmkMWKlQ2UJFVnBLvUZWoXP5VX0

This is the same guitar. They guy who is selling, a Russian computer programmer who is working over here, bought it from this guy.

I'm probably out of my depth, but are the economics there to do a good job at faking a guitar, matching documents, and the correct case for a reissue?  I can see how they would be for a vintage instrument where the thousand$ get piled onto the price, but the R's seem to be only 1 to 3 thousand more than the main line instruments, and not many at the 3 end.  If murkat's inspection points were what they should be, and it otherwise is found to be a quality build, then that should build confidence, no?  While it's always nice to deal with nice guys, I don't think that enters into the real question.  A good con man can be very nice, or a real honest nice guy could have been taken in the previous transaction.

4 hours ago, murkat said:

That Randy's writing, initials on the tags, etc. looks good. did you get it?

I am considering it. I told him I will get back to him this weekend. And if anyone else shows interest, that he should let me know. 

He wants about 2900 dollars for it. It is reasonable I guess. Perhaps I can talk him down a little. Not many buyers now that everyone tries to keep social distancing. Still a lot of money. I have enough guitars. On the other hand, with the social distancing and everything... ...everyone needs a little something to cheer them up, right?

On 4/17/2020 at 9:23 AM, murkat said:

That Randy's writing, initials on the tags, etc.

Evidence that legit inside information from folks like Murkat are always the best source.  

By chance, did Randy ever play in an Arkansas-based garage band with Doyle Hargraves?

It looks nice.   I just think $2900 cash is a hair high for a plain top.   His alternative is reverb ebay.  Probably $100 in fees plus the risk of damage, possible return etc.  the market is a little touchy right now    not saying it’s not a nice guitar but that’s a healthy retail number for what would be a private sale.    But... then again if you are in the eu, it could be different. 

22 minutes ago, DaveL said:

It looks nice.   I just think $2900 cash is a hair high for a plain top.   His alternative is reverb ebay.  Probably $100 in fees plus the risk of damage, possible return etc.  the market is a little touchy right now    not saying it’s not a nice guitar but that’s a healthy retail number for what would be a private sale.    But... then again if you are in the eu, it could be different. 

I think the prices here should be equal. Would 2500 be okay for a plaintop right now, or even lower? 

36 minutes ago, Disturber said:

I think the prices here should be equal. Would 2500 be okay for a plaintop right now, or even lower? 

Hi,  I think that would be fair.   I guess knowing the exact year would help.   2013 to current have certain features like custom bucker pickups that a lot of people dig.    I have trouble deciphering serial numbers.     I know the black coa booklets reflects a certain period. (Trying to think I may have had a great 2009 vos junior ri that had the black book)  but newer custom shop models. Definitely have them.  

6 minutes ago, DaveL said:

Hi,  I think that would be fair.   I guess knowing the exact year would help.   2013 to current have certain features like custom bucker pickups that a lot of people dig.    I have trouble deciphering serial numbers.     I know the black coa booklets reflects a certain period. (Trying to think I may have had a great 2009 vos junior ri that had the black book)  but newer custom shop models. Definitely have them.  

It is a 2011. 100% sure. 

On 4/17/2020 at 12:38 PM, Disturber said:

He wants about 2900 dollars for it. It is reasonable I guess.

A lil high for a used plain top. Depends if its "the one" for you.

My only advice to anyone buying a LP is to get it in your hands. After playing dozens and dozens over the last twenty years I finally bought one. But I knew I had to put it in my hands first. Little help from Murkat and a lucky purchase of a Phantom that had an old 57 Classic in it sounds exactly the way I want it too. I do fight with selling it, but if you want that sound nothing else does it. 

I pluck this one out, took all kinds of pictures, prepped for sale, plugged it in and put it back. LOL  That ALL HOG made my heart skip. WANT!!

ppGTPzdl.jpg

Archived