Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Washburn A10 no longer available.

It seems I recall someone here having a Washburn fetish.  A friend of mine found one in a storage unit.  I have no idea what they are worth.  The pics he sent me are good enough to determine it seems to be in decent condition.  My friend also is terrible at taking pictures but I will post what he sent.  A hint on the value would be much appreciated.  

IMG_20200412_155721_01.jpg

IMG_20200412_155716_01.jpg

IMG_20200412_161627_01.jpg

I don't know what this one is but the ones on eBay and music go round are set neck.  I also stumbled across a RS-10V that looks like a PRS copy, also a set neck.  I know nothing about these models.  Interesting...  

As far as value, I typically look at models on Reverb and eBay and compare what I have compared to what's listed.  On this model I'd go $350, seriously.

Wow that does look like a neck through.  The ones on eBay and music go round look like a set neck.

That's a blast from the past!  My first "real" guitar was an A-5V, which was the bolt on version just below the A-10 in the product line.  Cool guitar that had a nice v-shaped neck and rocked out pretty well.  Trem wasn't great, but otherwise solid.  Carlos Cavazzo from Quiet Riot played some version of this guitar, not sure which one (probably A-20).  No idea what the value of these is these days, unfortunately.  Still would be fun to play!

Some of the A10 Models are bolt-on.  I've owned about five of the A20 and A20V models.  I can't really remember why I ever got rid of them, other than the weird V-shaped neck.  

Howard Leese of Heart was the guy that got me interested.  Cavazzo had some really cool ones.  

To answer your question, I'd guess between $450 and $500.  Bolt on A10 would be $100 to $150 less.  Cool colors or flame would increase the price too.

45 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

The bass version was cool. 

I played in a band with someone who had an A-20V which was the same guitar with a Washburn Wonder Bar trem.  It was cool guitar. 

I had a flame maple 8 string version. Kinda cool. I think it had brass fret markers.

I had an A-5v in black as well in the mid 80’s. That headstock is an enemy to a standard vibrato, but what a cool looker from that era.

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

I had one too. Tobacco burst. 

Could not stay in tune for shit.

Single truss rods are not helping a bass with that much string tension.

Yeah, I didn’t have mine long enough to find out if it was a total turd or not. Looked cool! 😂 

2 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Looked damn cool. And the brass "cheerio" fret markers were equally unique. Always loved that body shape, but the necks on the guitars were too broomsticky for my hands and I looked silly playing such a small bodied guitar. There is a reason that the guys that are famous for playing A20s are all way under six feet tall.

I scored the bass off eBay and was immediately dismayed, because my band was gigging at the time and I wanted to continue my ongoing  homage to Pete Way.

I wound up moving it on to some other sucker on eBay a month later who hopefully was a bedroom player or collector.

I think it popped up the other day on that 80s guitar tribute FB page we all hang out on. Not sure how many they made.

Edited to add: This is not my pic, but this is what the bass looked like....might be it

8string.jpg

Yep, same type I had. I traded a bass cab for mine, then put the bass towards another new bass cab, which I still have. 
I thought they put the P and J pups in two different area codes for me.

20 hours ago, HoboMan said:

I gigged an A10 exactly like this back in the early 80s. I remember liking it a lot. 

Hang on - did you play at the Phone Booth in Sun Prairie?

1 hour ago, BadgerDave said:

Hang on - did you play at the Phone Booth in Sun Prairie?

No, I lived in NC back then. 

A local mom & pop store had the A10 in their window. My friend bought it. I don't remember all the wheelin' & dealin' that went on but somehow I ended up with it and played a bunch of gigs with it. I needed to get some PA equipment and thru some dealin' I traded it for a Gibson Sonex that I then traded for some PA gear and stage lights.

On 4/13/2020 at 9:24 PM, Travis said:

Wait...  so, how sharp was the V profile on the neck?  Like a Talladega...?

I'm going from hazy memory, but having owned both, I'm pretty sure the Washburn V profile was sharper than the Tally. I liked it, but I was so new to guitar that I didn't have much else to compare it with.  I definitely like my Tally neck better, for sure.  Probably my favorite of all time, actually.

7 minutes ago, Guitarseh said:

I'm going from hazy memory, but having owned both, I'm pretty sure the Washburn V profile was sharper than the Tally. I liked it, but I was so new to guitar that I didn't have much else to compare it with.  I definitely like my Tally neck better, for sure.  Probably my favorite of all time, actually.

I agree with you on the tally neck shape. Definitely my all time favorite as well. I wouldn’t mind having a couple more necks with that shape...

Archived