Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Red 1980 Special from Ebay

Here are the glamour shots.  

Its a deep candy apple red with a fine metallic flake. It is kind of semi transparent...depending on the lighting.  Outdoors...the flame pops more.  There is a little bit of fading on the edges.

B049BD61-4F01-4D39-A59B-7F869DFF2D7A.jpeg

1D832027-F087-4D90-93F8-A42B70C5B6E2.jpeg

D4453C29-89C3-4291-BD2C-14463B338882.jpeg

B5634985-A498-4DA8-8F63-22BCE0517B00.jpeg

Compared to my ‘81 Special... This one has the wider bridge spacing.  The neck seems to be slightly wider at the nut as well...does this sound right? (Asking the experts that I know are here)

Also... I’m not a big super distortion fan.  I’m keeping an eye out for the right era correct creme PAF to replace it.  In the meantime, I suppose a 36th anniversary PAF bridge would work well.  Anything else I should check out?

3 minutes ago, bsteff666 said:

Compared to my ‘81 Special... This one has the wider bridge spacing.  The neck seems to be slightly wider at the nut as well...does this sound right? (Asking the experts that I know are here)

Also... I’m not a big super distortion fan.  I’m keeping an eye out for the right era correct creme PAF to replace it.  In the meantime, I suppose a 36th anniversary PAF bridge would work well.  Anything else I should check out?

Josh Gravelin. I'm totally not a 'pickup snob'. I would tolerate most pickups of decent quality and work with them. Until I heard Josh's pickups in one of my guitars.

47 minutes ago, bsteff666 said:

F6B6B741-BDDE-498F-9E28-C06779025A3C.jpeg

D79D20A9-B8E1-4777-AE65-E01F43FF869A.jpeg

3ABD3374-A79E-4F9F-95EC-0CE991090262.jpeg

So are you happy with it? Your pics are much better than the original seller. Goes to show that having great pictures make a huge difference. I created the thread about the guitar because it seemed ok, but was a little sketchy too.

I'm happy you got it. Have fun 👍

57 minutes ago, bsteff666 said:

Josh Gravelin.  I had an original 1980 PAF in one of my guitars, and Josh's "Charlotte" PAF style smoked it.

1 hour ago, JOE_CPWE said:

So are you happy with it? Your pics are much better than the original seller. Goes to show that having great pictures make a huge difference. I created the thread about the guitar because it seemed ok, but was a little sketchy too.

I'm happy you got it. Have fun 👍

Thanks!  I still need to set it up with .10’s & dial it in a little bit...but yes.  I am happy with it.  I’m not typically a red guitar guy...but I like this one.  It does feel a little different than my ‘81.

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

Josh Gravelin.  I had an original 1980 PAF in one of my guitars, and Josh's "Charlotte" PAF style smoked it.

From what I have been reading here on the forum...I figured that would be the recommendation.  So the Charlotte is his PAF equivalent?  Good to know.  I will have to check into this.

4 minutes ago, bsteff666 said:

From what I have been reading here on the forum...I figured that would be the recommendation.  So the Charlotte is his PAF equivalent?  Good to know.  I will have to check into this.

Give him a shout - he's working on some great stuff.  If you want him to do something, he can do it, and make some suggestions too.

18 minutes ago, bsteff666 said:

Another vote for josh. I’ve got his pickups in 3 of my guitars and they won’t be the last ones I’ll have him wind for me. Any guitar I ever have needing a pickup swap will be my next one with Gravelin’s in it.  Just shoot him a message and tel him what you want. He’ll work his magic and make it happen for you. 

2 hours ago, bsteff666 said:

The neck is wider, how is it thick front to back?

51 minutes ago, Travis said:

The neck is wider, how is it thick front to back?

Front to back thickness/depth...They feel about the same. Typical thin to medium profile.

What a lovely rocker and congrats! I'm glad to help with pickups or anything always but to set the record straight, the Shishkov-specific Charlotte and the original DiMarz PAFs are quite different and not really at all in the same ball-park. I happen to have the right stuff to make near spot-on clones of the original DiMarz PAF as well as the 1st year Slammers also. I do quality work but so do a lot of other pickup makers - lots of great options out there! If I can help somehow, please get in touch.

Set it up right with your preferred strings, play it and get comfy, mess with pickup height, etc. before you make any moves on pickups. Those old Super Ds in this era of Hamers are usually pretty killer imho.

Again, nice score!! Enjoy.

On 4/18/2020 at 6:46 PM, bsteff666 said:

I have a double cream Dimarzio PAF bridge pickup from an '81 special in my stash ...

19 hours ago, Len said:

I have a double cream Dimarzio PAF bridge pickup from an '81 special in my stash ...

Hmmm... Even if I am experimenting a little with pickups... I do always like having original spec parts.

Archived