Hamer Fan Club Message Center

ISO: Old pre-1983 Floyd Roses

The guys on all the EVH pages go nuts for that stuff.

Correct, Floyd made the his prototypes to smaller tolerances because they were hand name and wouldn't go sharp or flat when they were clamped down.  Brad Gillis played an FRT-1 and later the FRT-3.  The FRT-1 is the first bridge I showed.  Fernandes Japan produced them for a short time.  The later one with the vertical fine tuners is the FRT-4, the first style Floyd with fine tuners.  K.K. Downing had one on his Hamer recently sold at auction. 

Most of these models I'm discussing were never on other Hamers, but I notice many people here have parts drawers with random tidbits.....figured I might as well ask.  

I have psychotic tendencies like EVH fans but just like old Floyds and collect them.  I have a vintage Floyd project in the making, but it's not quite ready yet.  

3 hours ago, DarrenD said:

Correct, Floyd made the his prototypes to smaller tolerances because they were hand name and wouldn't go sharp or flat when they were clamped down.  Brad Gillis played an FRT-1 and later the FRT-3.  The FRT-1 is the first bridge I showed.  Fernandes Japan produced them for a short time.  The later one with the vertical fine tuners is the FRT-4, the first style Floyd with fine tuners.  K.K. Downing had one on his Hamer recently sold at auction. 

Most of these models I'm discussing were never on other Hamers, but I notice many people here have parts drawers with random tidbits.....figured I might as well ask.  

I have psychotic tendencies like EVH fans but just like old Floyds and collect them.  I have a vintage Floyd project in the making, but it's not quite ready yet.  

Thanks for confirming and the extra info.  Interested to see the project. 

On 4/19/2020 at 10:36 PM, DarrenD said:

I had a few Floyd Rose trems for Les Pauls that I got cheap off of eBay in the early days (97-98).  Put them up on some message board where they sat for years with zero views. Two were complete and NOS, another was in great shape but had a few missing parts. Totally forgot about them in a drawer and got an email out of the blue from a guy who offered me $400 for a complete one.  Sold.

Interested in seeing those photos.  Those were made in the mid-80s during the Kramer years.  They didn't sell well and their saddles were taken off to settle warranty claims.  I heard they are pretty decent, but not many people have actually put them on a guitar.  

22 hours ago, serial said:

I had a few Floyd Rose trems for Les Pauls that I got cheap off of eBay in the early days (97-98).  Put them up on some message board where they sat for years with zero views. Two were complete and NOS, another was in great shape but had a few missing parts. Totally forgot about them in a drawer and got an email out of the blue from a guy who offered me $400 for a complete one.  Sold.

Like this one? 

floydpaul3sm.jpg.jpeg

1 hour ago, Biz Prof said:

Like this one? 

floydpaul3sm.jpg.jpeg

Yep.

I only know of one guy who put one on his guitar, and he claimed the liked the sound better than the newer FRX version.  I've heard it won't fit most modern Gibsons because it's too high.  Vintage Gibsons weren't as steep as guess, so it works better on them.

All in all, almost everyone I know that owns one has never put it on a guitar, so I guess it's hard to say.  

12 hours ago, DarrenD said:

I only know of one guy who put one on his guitar, and he claimed the liked the sound better than the newer FRX version.  I've heard it won't fit most modern Gibsons because it's too high.  Vintage Gibsons weren't as steep as guess, so it works better on them.

All in all, almost everyone I know that owns one has never put it on a guitar, so I guess it's hard to say.  

Richie Floyd X.jpg

No the model I'm looking for has fine tuners that are vertical 90 degrees from the base plate as shown in the second pic in my first post.  The one you shown is a typical "whale tail" modern version you generally see today.  There are certain "whale tail" versions which people are interested in, but that is not it.  Thanks though.

Guys, look at DarenDs Floyd Rose website he posted up in another thread... It's really great!

• 2 months later...

Archived