Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What are y'all using for Compression?

JGale

Tone Press. First thing in the chain (after the tuner). Barely there, just enough to sustain a note a little longer. Very transparent.

2 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Tone Press. First thing in the chain (after the tuner). Barely there, just enough to sustain a note a little longer. Very transparent.

Same here! Best I’ve found!

I bought my first CS-3 when I was 15. It basically fell apart years ago and I replaced it with another one. I did flirt with a Tone Press for a while but it acted like a “studio compressor”.

The MIJ CS-3s with the dbx chip just Grabs the note much the same way that power tube compression does... not an exact emulation but a sort of ballpark approximation that effectively does the job the way I like it.

not that anybody cares but, my settings are:

LEVEL: 1:00

TONE: 12:00

ATTACk: max

SUSTAIN: 10:00

Since I don’t engage the tone at 12:00, I have been interested in replacing the my CS-3 with

a CS-2 but just haven’t made the jump since I am so happy with my old CS-3.

The revisions to the CS-3 have not been kind to the pedal. I wouldn’t use a CS-3 with a THAT chip... I love me some dbx compression.

On 4/23/2020 at 3:32 AM, Travis said:

3E8DCDC5-130C-4A59-9A2A-F1B5E9DF62C9.jpeg

If I would not have known HFC humor, my first thoughts on the title were the Bodrum coffee press. But compression socks are even better fitting JGales profession as far I know about. B)

On the theme, I‘m having a Mooer optical compressor in the signal chain with other pedals that is fairly ok and soldered a DIY Carlin pedal last year, that behaves pretty much tube like, level unregulated. So low volume signals get lifted quite a lot. I love it and use it as a single pedal direct into tube amp mostly. 

I can count on this question to come up every year, a true guitar player / pedal question.

Barber tone press, My First, its very good. You just dial it in till you here it, then back it off a lil bit and your there.

Diamond, my second, my favorite, same as the tone press, a lil more hifi and transparent, long sustain without the ping.

Both are top shelf great, lots of realstate on the pedalboard.

Xotic SP mini comp. My new fav. not as good as the Diamond, but close enough. it's tiny box.

16 hours ago, JGale said:

Man, that Carlin Pedal is interesting though...

Great you like it. Yesterday I went conquering the Moody pages driven by another post somewhere referring to it. I might check out for a delay or something. The wah was a great solder job too.

I have a Boss CS3 with a Monte Allums mod. It is a very good compressor. The CS3 can be had for cheap and the mod is not expensive, if you can install it yourself. Then it's boutique tone at a low price. And you will also have a reliable pedal as Boss pedals are built like tanks.

I never use it these days. I don't really see the use for a compressor. I turn up the amp until it, and the speakers, compresses and the way I want it. And I favour pedals that are as uncompressed as possible, as I think that I get lost in the mix when my tone is to compressed.  

I abhor compressors as a rule...except with my 12er, then it is a must have. Live for the 12 I use the Chicago Stompworks Mr Squeezey  orange Squeezer clone. For recording, I favor an 1176 clone for the 12.  Other than the 12, for live use I find they rob me of dynamics...that is a compressor does. For me, anyway..  But 100% needed with a 12.

On 4/23/2020 at 6:39 AM, murkat said:

Xotic SP mini comp. My new fav. not as good as the Diamond, but close enough. it's tiny box.

I stupidly traded away an SP. It was tits with a Tele.

Currently using an original Janglebox, but (as Jake stated above) usually with my Ric 660/12. 

I used to have a compressor years ago. Maybe sometime around the mid 90’s. I think it was a DOD compressor/sustainer. I don’t remember much about it other than I couldn’t tell much difference, probably because I didn’t know how to dial it in. Or, because it wasn’t a good pedal...

• 2 months later...

I never quite sorted it out until I ran into this demo a few years ago. Probably still have an old compressor pedal that I got and tried, maybe in the 80s, then stuck in a drawer. I do not know if this one is the best, but it works well for me.

Archived