Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What are y'all using for Compression?

JGale

I use a compressor a lot. Used and still have a Keely two knob for years. Have an MXR and a few others. They all seem to have their own sound. 

Eventually I bit the bullet and got a Origin effects Slide Rig. Dual stage compressor that is very transparent and hugely useful. Spendy, but by far my favorite. 

Slide Rig

Still like a heavy handed MXR sometimes to get "that" sound, but mostly like the transparency of the Slidrig. 

I’m currently using the compressor in my Fractal Audio FX-8 floor processor, but also have an old Boss CS-2 compressor for my analog pedalboard. It gives my single coil pickups the extra sustain and pop that it needs when I”m on the clean channel of my amps. 

Guitar George

On 4/22/2020 at 2:10 PM, Dutchman said:

Same here! Best I’ve found!

You guys using the tonepress on both SC and humbuckers? How is it for HBs?

I only have one barber pedal (tone pump EQ) but I love that one, and I've heard nothing but praise for the guy's stuff.  

12 hours ago, sonic1974 said:

You guys using the tonepress on both SC and humbuckers? How is it for HBs?

I only have one barber pedal (tone pump EQ) but I love that one, and I've heard nothing but praise for the guy's stuff.  

I change over from singles to humbuckers and don’t touch it. With the new one and strat style single coils there’s some fairy dust there!! Clean humbucker it’s good too. For fuzz/dirty tones I turn it off. Barbers dirt pedal are awesome too. Quiet a variety of dirt from many pedals. I’ve tried them all and for me it’s the flavor of the week. So I can’t say I have a favorite....

5 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I change over from singles to humbuckers and don’t touch it. With the new one and strat style single coils there’s some fairy dust there!! Clean humbucker it’s good too. For fuzz/dirty tones I turn it off. Barbers dirt pedal are awesome too. Quiet a variety of dirt from many pedals. I’ve tried them all and for me it’s the flavor of the week. So I can’t say I have a favorite....

yeah, barber is quality stuff!!

I don't use compressors much, but I do have this Mr. Nutcracker pedal from Himmelstrutz Elektro Art, that I use as general front end for judicious optical compression, boosting, EQ.  It's great for adapting different pickups to different amps, somewhat of a fixer pedal.  HEA is one guy named Joakim Hedeby in Sweden.  I love just about everything he puts out.

Archived