Hamer Fan Club Message Center

That hollow body itch...

Yeah, I've had that, too, and have for a long time, especially a 335-style.  I thought my semi-solid Hamer Artist would cure it, but not quite.  It didn't help that I've been listening to Grant Green a bit lately, especially Green Street and Idle Moments.  Then while doing some work last night I put on The Stray Cats, stopped the work for a while, and was amazed all over again at what Setzer was doing.

There used to be a somewhat (regionally) legendary music store in these parts back in the '70's and '80s (though WAY older than that).  The way it went, you went into the store, past the grand pianos and there was a rack of new Gibsons, Fenders, etc.  If you seemed okay, you could ask about the "other guitars."  

In 1986 a fraternity brother and I rode up (in his 280ZX, incidentally) and sure enough, it was exactly as had been presented.  After a bit of time spent perusing the new Gibsons (I remember distinctly an outrageously blingy Firebird VII), I asked about "other guitars."  The guy says, "what were you looking for?"  I asked about a 60's SG.  "No, we wouldn't have anything like that."  "How about and semi-hollows?"  I was ushered through a curtained door and there it was - the motherload.  Racks of guitar cases filled with who knows what. 

He pulls out a cheap acoustic case, opens it up and inside, with a tag that said only "ES," was a 60's, stop-tailpiece ES355, but with chrome hardware professionally refinished in a tasteful metallic red.  The price tag said $350.  I strummed it once and said, "I'll take it."  

The thing was amazing.  It had this incredible grunt you hear with Freddie and BB; this resonance.  It was very alive.  On further inspection, the pickups were T-tops.  There was no vari-tone and no stereo output.  Definitely an odd duck (but definitely a 355 - ebony board, split-diamond inlay on the headstock and multi-ply binding).

I stupidly sold it around 1989 as I was graduating nerd-school with more school debt than I was grossing in a year (back then that was an odd situation, now, not so much as I understand) and I was convinced my Charvel Model 3 with EMGs was the guitar I'd always want.

The buyer was a friend who still owns it after all these years.  I haven't laid eyes on it since '89, but he assures me it is still spectacular.

I have been in search of that "grunt" ever since.  My Howard Roberts (after nearly 30 years of "loosening up") has a bit of it, but not like the 355.

Archived