Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Modelers and FRFR

Curious what you guys have found to work well with your modeling rig. Are you using powered solutions like the line 6 Powercab etc or separate Amps and speakers  like the Seymour Duncan PowerStage +?. Ideally I would like something that would work for acoustic amplification as well

arniez

I am building my own solution using an old PE-60. I have it working at 60W, no loop, but have the parts on hand for 120W all-balanced throughput with a single ended loop for the Speaker Sim EQ 1U rack I am also building. I am planning a long post describing same when I finish. At a standstill at the moment while I work out the heat sinking arrangement.

Anyone know where I can get a 4" x 8" x 1/8" copper sheet bent to a 4" x 4" U-channel with 2" x 4" legs? A 3" long 2" x 2" copper angle will do as well.

Paging burningyen - dude's got it down and had it down for years!  

2012 Digitech:

And now Helix:

ETA: try as I may, I can't figure out the member reference ("@") thingy.  I've tried several different methods, but anyway, BurningYen is your man!

Thanks, @velorush. :) That 2nd clip was with my old Kemper, and in any case a clip isn't going to tell you much about the stage monitor.

To @ArnieZ's question, I experimented for a couple of years with not-really-FRFR (PE60 with a Beyma 12GA50 whizzer speaker) and ok FRFR (QSC K10.1, stock and then with Jay Mitchell's tweeter phase reversal mod). But for the past 7 years I've happily settled on the Atomic CLR, which I can't recommend highly enough. Studio-level flatness, phase alignment between the woofer and tweeter for better transient response, and much better off-axis frequency response so that you don't hear weird notches and peaks as you move around. Jay Mitchell is designing a smaller, lighter 8" monitor that will be almost as loud as the CLR, but it's been in the works for some time and it's unclear when it will be out. Until he releases that, I recommend finding a used CLR. There are a few on Reverb right now. They're the 45-lb non-NEO version (NEOs are 33 lbs), but if this is for home playing that shouldn't make a difference.

Also, if this is purely for home use, an 8" active studio monitor would also be an option to consider.

Been using the Head Rush 112 2000 watt wedge. Got no complaints

The budget solution is the Boss Katana. Use the acoustic input section.  Doubles as a backup modeler/amp if your Kemper/Axe FX/Headrush/POD etc. fails during a gig.

6 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

The budget solution is the Boss Katana. Use the acoustic input section.  Doubles as a backup modeler/amp if your Kemper/Axe FX/Headrush/POD etc. fails during a gig.

So at present I’m using a Fractal FM3 through the return loop of a Katana. I assume this circumvents the preamp in the Katana all together. I don’t think the speaker is neutral, and just meh in general. I was hoping someone might have experience with the line 6 power cabs or the tech 21 deuce deluxe. It seems the CLR and Xitone are most highly regarded. I’d rather not spend the 1 k if a cheaper  alomost as good solution presents. The used CLR's on Reverb in good condition, based on ask, don’t seem low enough to buy used.

arniez

2 hours ago, ArnieZ said:

So at present I’m using a Fractal FM3 through the return loop of a Katana. I assume this circumvents the preamp in the Katana all together. I don’t think the speaker is neutral, and just meh in general. I was hoping someone might have experience with the line 6 power cabs or the tech 21 deuce deluxe. It seems the CLR and Xitone are most highly regarded. I’d rather not spend the 1 k if a cheaper  alomost as good solution presents. The used CLR's on Reverb in good condition, based on ask, don’t seem low enough to buy used.

arniez

I'm running a Headrush Pedalboard into the 100 watt Katana Artist model with good results. The Katana actually sounds much more neutral than a Headrush 12" FRFR that I bought used.  It's possible that the FRFR has issues, though.

I think there may be a different speaker in the Katana Artist than the earlier models.  The Artist has a 12" Waza.  

8 hours ago, burningyen said:

If a used CLR is more than you want to spend then I’d look at a used DXR10 or L2T.

It's more like just pop for a new one than save$150 for a used one

arniez

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 1:35 PM, burningyen said:

Thanks, @velorush. :) That 2nd clip was with my old Kemper, and in any case a clip isn't going to tell you much about the stage monitor.

To @ArnieZ's question, I experimented for a couple of years with not-really-FRFR (PE60 with a Beyma 12GA50 whizzer speaker) and ok FRFR (QSC K10.1, stock and then with Jay Mitchell's tweeter phase reversal mod). But for the past 7 years I've happily settled on the Atomic CLR, which I can't recommend highly enough. Studio-level flatness, phase alignment between the woofer and tweeter for better transient response, and much better off-axis frequency response so that you don't hear weird notches and peaks as you move around. Jay Mitchell is designing a smaller, lighter 8" monitor that will be almost as loud as the CLR, but it's been in the works for some time and it's unclear when it will be out. Until he releases that, I recommend finding a used CLR. There are a few on Reverb right now. They're the 45-lb non-NEO version (NEOs are 33 lbs), but if this is for home playing that shouldn't make a difference.

Also, if this is purely for home use, an 8" active studio monitor would also be an option to consider.

I don't suppose you'd be interested in sharing the Kemper Rig you used? ;-)

seriously though - sounds great!

Archived