Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Okay, I take back everything bad I said about Slash.

Slash discovers the Phrygian mode.

I think I'd have been a big fan except for the associated cat-in-an-Asplundh voice of Axel Rose (and I'm a huge Geddy Lee fan).

It was nice to hear Slash move outta pentatonic for a change. Myles is a great voice to put on Slash's ax work and this song is a solid vehicle for both.

25 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

I much prefer Myles in Alter Bridge . 

To my ear, Myles sounds pretty damn good regardless of who he's playing with but yeah, I think Mark Tremonti's playing is bit more interesting and the song writing is certainly heavier. That's a plus in my book.

I love his playing.  Like Johnny Marr in The Smiths, a cool guitarist and solid band (yes, debatable, I'm sure) where the weakest link was the vocalist/front man.

Almost 10 years ago I had changed my mind of Slash as a drug addict guitarist I had known from Gunrs times. Out of the 20 up bands I had seen at the Rock am Ring festival he appeared as the only one capable of playing other than stomping rhythm. Regardless of pentatonic or not, he was the one guy playing solid leads.

I love Slash. Just a week or so ago I played Appetite LOUD in the car. Slash just rips, he does insane stuff on that album. No one did what he did at the time. Izzy was damn good to,  more as a rythm player and writer. But one thing that struck me is the drum parts on that album. Adler is way underated. He plays angry, like a mix of MC5 and The Stooges. He's like a mix of Detroit angriness and LA groove. It's fierce with a punk attitude, but extremely solid. Love his damn drum parts. Love that album. 

Myles, still have problem with his voice. I just don't like it. Not saying it's bad. Just not my type of singer. Scott Weiland or Axl, any day of week.

A few years ago I saw an acoustic set with Myles and Slash. He sounded played really well and the acoustic sounded good. His tone and style with GNR was annoying to my ears as well as Axl. Just couldn't stand anything they did though all I heard was what was on the radio which I turned off at the beginning of the songs. Just couldn't stand them. This video changed my mind about him. That was some damn good shredding.

I really like the two Snakepit records, different singers on each one but I like both of those guys. Eric Dover was on the first one and a guy named Rod Jackson on the second.

I've always found Slash to put a lot of modal flair into his playing.  I completely stole using what I guess would be a sharp 6 in the relative natural minor scale when playing in order to slide into Dorian when playing in a pentatonic minor and also throwing in a sharp 5 passing tone in there - so in an E minor run, you end up with a C# instead of a C and an B-A#-A kinda thing. Tab would be 

E - 15 - 14 - 12----------------------------------------
B --------------------15 - 14 - 12----------------------
G------------------------------------------15 - 14 - 12
D------------------------------------------------------------
A------------------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------------

Sweet Child O' Mine has all kinds of stuff.  The major solos are D Mixolydian because the song is in G but with D as the root voice.  The minor solo throws in a lot of harmonic minor stuff in with the pentatonic runs, which he does pretty commonly.   He's leaned on Phrygian a good bit in the past as well.  Check out "Double Talkin' Jive."  Another thing I lifted from him was when you're in phrygian throwing in sharp 3 when you're walking down, something like:

E - 3 - 1 - 0----------------------------------------
B --------------------3 - 1 - 0----------------------
G------------------------------------------2 - 1 - 2
D-------------------------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------

It's really a great way to accent a major resolve to a minor progression (think soloing over the Greensleeves progression). 

I have a pretty blue collar knowledge of theory, so some of those sharped numbers above may not be right, but if you play that, you'll hear what I'm talking about.  

When I was learning to play, he was one of the guys that really helped me understand how to get in and out of pentatonic scales and into other stuff while still sounding really bluesy. 

10 hours ago, Stike said:

I really like the two Snakepit records, different singers on each one but I like both of those guys. Eric Dover was on the first one and a guy named Rod Jackson on the second.

I don't think I've ever listened to those records. I remember when they came out around y2k. The name obviously caught my eye. I read in a magazine around that time, I think it may have been, "Reptiles Magazine," because I wasn't reading any guitar related stuff then, that Slash had a snake collection. But, he didn't take care of them himself. He had a caretaker, lol. He had an albino reticulated python which was pretty impressive at the time. 

It's kind of like having opinions about pro quarterbacks. You may think some are "bums" but if you ever caught a football from any one of them, you'd likely be smiling from ear to ear. I've never sat in a room with just Slash playing but I would imagine there'd be few people who wouldn't be smiling ear to ear in that moment. He's gifted at what he does. Someone also mentioned Johnny Marr. Same idea.

Archived