Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Photos of the reconstruction - The basket case Gibson L5-S

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spectacular, all around!

I looked at getting this one at one time long ago and doing it over but the  BIN was 2K and seller would not take less and it sold for that so I passed,yours turned out so nice and I like the chrome hardware, that is a different but nice touch.These are a cool guitar.YfBSM5u.jpgfdVR9LZ.jpgtcwkt97.jpgdcYyPEw.jpg

2 hours ago, MCChris said:

I'm impressed!

...by your conservative knob choice.

You would have been less impressed by the options I managed to resist.

Wow...I have always been intrigued by the L-5. Yours turned out PERFECT. Congrats on a beautiful new Gibson!

I open this thread, expecting an interesting read on post Civil War era America, and I find this.  

My disappointment could only be rivaled by that of the "freed workers" inhabiting the southern states at the time.  

23 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

fullsizeoutput_c22.jpeg

Beautiful work all around. That guitar would look at home in a dive bar or a $100k wedding.

Nice touch of the sparkle top with the opaque back/sides/neck. It must've been a bitch to get right with all of the multi-ply binding everywhere. Tu salute!

Some details on the final assembly:

The pickups are Seymour Duncan Slash alnico II models. I assumed that the maple body and neck plus ebony board would benefit from warmer voiced pickups. I like the result.

The bridge and tailpiece are locking units from Faber - abr-1 with extra long posts and lightweight stopbar.

Tuners are Kluson waffle-back models. 

P1010024.JPG

P1010019.JPG

P1010031.JPG

4 hours ago, kizanski said:

What are the "dots" above each tuner?

Punctuation

Actually those are the original mounting holes for the Kluson Sealfast tuners.  Which are huge, gold and weigh about a pound each.  

10 minutes ago, BadgerDave said:

Actually those are the original mounting holes for the Kluson Sealfast tuners.

Why were the holes not filled?

49 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Why were the holes not filled?

The original plan was to reinstall the Sealfasts. I may decide to remove the gold plating and put them on later.  

Archived