Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Scotch?

hamerhead

Question

Don't drink the stuff myself, but as a gag I told my nephew I'd get him a bottle for helping me out. Name me a decent Scotch that isn't kerosene that's worthy of gag-giftness.

I like scotch quite a bit and have 30 to 40 bottles at any given moment, ranging from sherry bombs like Aberlour A'bunadh to heavily peated stuff like Ardbeg Uigeadail.  I have a bunch of weird shit too like independent bottlings of Linkwood, Imperial, Mortlach... well, a lot.  

If he's not really scotch drinker and this is just a gag, I'd go with the Dewar's 12 rec.  Famous Grouse is another solid, inexpensive blend that has enough Macallan in it to make it pretty easy to deal with.  Monkey Shoulder is a little more expensive, but also a really good and reasonable blended scotch, though it's a little less sweet, more along the lines of a Glenfiddich (which is more than likely still used in the malt) or a Balvenie.  It has a Speyside character to it for sure. 

For a single malt that is tasty but inexpensive, Aberfeldy 12 is pretty tough to beat.  It's a mix of whisky aged in sherry and bourbon, and has some notes similar to other rich but not particularly smoky scotches like Aberlour and Macallan and can often be had for under $40.  For something with a little more hair, Highland Park Magnus is pretty good and is relatively inexpensive.  Every now and then, you can find Highland Park 12 for about $40, depending on your state.  

All in all, if I was getting a casual scotch drinker a bottle of something on a lark, I'd probably get the Aberfeldy. 

He's not a known scotch drinker. I offered him money, babes, and scotch, so I'll go with the Aberfeldy. Thanks Jason!

Thanks for the help, guys!

There’s a very enjoyable documentary about Scotch on Netflix or Amazon video.  Can’t remember what it’s called, but gin martini is my excuse

35AD33E4-4A9D-42DE-9A1A-6B79BC66F1BF.jpeg

++ on MacAllan.  My one trip to Madrid, Spain, the wait staff was so used to serving sangria that when we ordered scotch, they pretty much poured until we said “when.” A memorable week, though I don’t remember much. 

On 5/5/2020 at 8:34 PM, Toadroller said:

There’s a very enjoyable documentary about Scotch on Netflix or Amazon video.  Can’t remember what it’s called, but gin martini is my excuse

35AD33E4-4A9D-42DE-9A1A-6B79BC66F1BF.jpeg

++ on MacAllan.  My one trip to Madrid, Spain, the wait staff was so used to serving sangria that when we ordered scotch, they pretty much poured until we said “when.” A memorable week, though I don’t remember much. 

The show is on Amazon and called “Scotch”. Really enjoyed it. A big focus on Jim McEwan, the master distiller of master distillers.

1 hour ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

The show is on Amazon and called “Scotch”. Really enjoyed it. A big focus on Jim McEwan, the master distiller of master distillers.

I've got a bottle of Bruichladdich 10 from right around the time he left.  They turned it into a non-age stated offerening called "The Classic Laddie" after he left, which is a shame.  That 10 was fantastic.  I've consumed it rather slowly over the past five years since I found it. 

Do you want single malt or a blend?

The quite ordinary (these days) Famous Grouse is pretty okay I think. It's often available a a good price in Tax Free shops.

When it comes to blends I like J&B, (because it is what Patrick Bateman drinks in American Psycho, haha). It's got a bit more bite than Famous Grouse.

I usually drink a blend when I rumble around in the kitchen of friday or saturday afternoons, cooking dinner for the family. It's like mandatory, can't cook unless I have a glass of whisky. I prefer Irish whiskey though, Tullamore or Jameson. They are a bit smoother. I have a bunch of single malts in the cellar too, those are more for late nights with the vinyl player or to share with the company of a good friend. Oban, that Stedge mentioned, is very good. Macallan and Tallisker are both good. I am not usually a big fan of whiskys that are too smokey. 

Here is a link with some good reading on different brands of Scotch that are a bit more high class than the ordinary tax free brands:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/joemicallef/2018/06/07/the-8-best-value-blended-scotch-whiskies-to-buy-now/#746e33c74f2f

On 5/5/2020 at 2:03 AM, joshoowah said:

I prefer The Balvenie Double Wood 12 Year, but I was going for the giggles with my previous answer. He did say "gag gift..."

I'd happily add another vote for this.

Its a Speyside Single malt (no peaty smoke or anything like that), which is very easy to drink, I find it has zero burn.

It's also not expensive  (40 quid a bottle in the UK) compared to others.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/balvenie/balvenie-doublewood-12-year-old-whisky/?srh=1

I've heard it called a beginners Single Malt, or. starter whiskey, and if that means it has the enjoyable drinking characteristics above - then thats fine by me.

As with guitars etc, it's a rabbit hole of a subject, and there is equally snob based opinion.

Its nice to drink.

Nice enough that you might go back for another one, or look forward to having one when you fancy it.

28 minutes ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

I'd

As with guitars etc, it's a rabbit hole of a subject, and there is equally snob based opinion.

Its nice to drink.

Nice enough that you might go back for another one, or look forward to having one when you fancy it.

As long as I get a good buzz from it I will consider it was well worth the money spent.

Martinis are good. Grey goose or navy gin from Durham distillery, dirty, blue cheese stuffed olives. 

Manhattans are really my drink.  Or things close to manhattans  a good rye, orange bitters, and good vermouth makes a version that is quite tasty on a cold eve   

Archived