Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Beginner Bass Advice

Bass guitar necks can be all over the place,  nothing will kill enjoyment and practice time for a newbie player if it is a struggle to reach notes or form chord shapes on a neck that is too big for their hands.  A Squire CV Jazz bass has a slimmer profile for $399 new and can be had in the $270 range. There are some older USA Peavey that maybe another option in that price range. As far as amp's go just get a Fender Rumble they are cheap and won't bounce the china off the shelve's.  

Get a metronome and a good teacher.

13 hours ago, Feynman said:

Thanks, all.  It's nice to see some old friends still around, and I always appreciated the advice I got here more than all other forums combined (except TGP of course - that place is the best).

That hurts. 😞

Awfully good to see you back here, Mitch.  I've missed your posts and perspectives.  

I have no bass advice worthy of consideration, but am glad to hear your daughter is picking up some stringed-instrument interest.  Good luck!   

Hey Mitch, long time no hear!  I'll cast another vote for anything Squier Classic Vibe. Haven't had a bum CV cross the repair bench yet. Just watch the weights if you go with a P or J, they can be all over the place and the heavy ones are HEAVY. Buy in person, or from an online source where they can guarantee the weight of the actual axe they are sending you.

10 hours ago, Feynman said:

That's what I said!

Edited to add:  Took a 4+ year break and still have two thousand more posts than you...man, I had a problem.

I am glad to see you back here Mitch. Your humour has been dearly missed. Hope life has been good to you during your abscence. Keep posting!

16 hours ago, Feynman said:

That's what I said!

Edited to add:  Took a 4+ year break and still have two thousand more posts than you...man, I had a problem.

AND HE'S BACK!!! You were missed, welcome back! 

I picked up one of these a few months ago. really impressed me.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/TMB100-Electric-Bass-Guitar-White-1418053839859.gc?rNtt=ibanez tmb&index=1

But I think the idea of an acoustic bass is also not bad, because it does allow practicing without an amp.

Just sold off one of these, and it was great, I just never played it:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Dean/EAB-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-116232579.gc?rNtt=dean acoustic bass&index=7

• 5 weeks later...

You can pick up a first generation Sire P7 or V7 off of reverb for around $300 these days... Can go with an Ampeg B112/B115 combo or a Phil Jones Session 77 Combo used for around $200 (maybe a few more dollars for the Session 77). 

On 5/5/2020 at 11:03 PM, hamerhead said:

MITCH!! How's it going?

The Slammer Series basses work really well and go pretty cheap.

Would have been my recommendation too.

For high school graduation once I bought my son an acoustic bass. The idea was to present something for a lifetime that he could take anywhere anytime. I can’t recall the brand. It was something like “the Hamer of...”, great quality for a great price. But he still loves to have it and plays it frequently. However, I must say, at the time, my son already has been a stage level bass player. 

I’m surprised nobody has asked how old this kid is.  That’s important... helps decide if she can handle a full-sized P, J, or other, or if a Mustang/Bronco type is better.

My son’s first bass was a 3/4 size SX ‘60s Jazz Bass.  Sweet bass for only about $125 if I remember correctly.  He graduated to a Classic Vibe P Bass once he got older.  We still have that one, it’s a keeper.  He doesn’t even play bass any more, but I’m keeping it.

On 5/5/2020 at 6:58 PM, cmatthes said:

MITCH!!!!!!

You've been missed around here...

When my son was starting out on bass at 8-9 years old, I got him an Ampeg BA-108 Bass Amp ($89 at the time) and a MIJ Fender Mustang Bass ($289 at a GC blowout).  He still has both, and I've purchased two more of those Ampegs - one for my other son (a gigging bassist) and one for me as practice amps.  

Can't go wrong with a quality bass amp for under $100, and the new ones have a CD/Aux input, phones (for parental-approved silent practicing), and are loud enough for playing with a tame drummer.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ampeg/BA108V2-1x8-Bass-Combo-Amplifier-1391534730535.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6-LA4dqd6QIV1AiICR0KPAwtEAYYASABEgLnEPD_BwE

Avoid anything Peavey, basswise.  They're all boat-anchors, and if she's starting out, she'll probably prefer a shorter scale instrument.  The Squier Classic Vibe stuff is pretty decent these days and comes in a lot of cool colors - not like the awful sunburst-only options many of us had as kids!  

You won't go broke with any of those, for sure, but I'm sure she'll want to weigh in as far as what she likes the look and feel of - if she likes any particular band/artist, see what they play or what their bassist plays and that might help.

Good luck, and remember...

Headphones are awesome for beginners!

In my solitarie night moments i use since a couple of years this little and awesome amp, amazing sound , have aux in for your music, tone control, eadphones out ,volume, db, etc, 

I bought mine for 32 buks in this time

On 6/9/2020 at 9:27 PM, gorch said:

Would have been my recommendation too.

For high school graduation once I bought my son an acoustic bass. The idea was to present something for a lifetime that he could take anywhere anytime. I can’t recall the brand. It was something like “the Hamer of...”, great quality for a great price. But he still loves to have it and plays it frequently. However, I must say, at the time, my son already has been a stage level bass player. 

My son just returned naming the brand of the acoustic. It's Takamine. Build quality was superb.

Archived