Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Flatwounds: Discuss

Flatwounds  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It has been years since playing a guitar with flatwounds.  I remember them feeling a little stiffer and sounding less bright.  For someone playing clean they might be good, but from what I remember they really would not be good for someone playing with a lot of gain. 

Excellent on a 12 string.  The sound of the 60's.

On bass always and I love compressed rounds which feel like flats, on my 12 string guitar.  I need to try pure flats on a 6 string.

My standby Gibson Howard Roberts moves from general purpose guitar to straight jazz box with a change to flats (D'Addario Chromes, to be specific). 

spacer.png

I keep a set lying around just in case someone needs a completely incompetent jazz faker to sit in. 

CAVEAT:  not even remotely tolerable with gain - lots of weird overtones (undertones?) that (inconceivably) make me sound even worse!  Could be the choice of Chromes - only ones I've tried.

I use stainless ground rounds (D'Addario half round) on my fretless basses they feel good, tone is good and they last fer freakin' ever. Flatwounds on a guitar can be cool, they give a slightly compressed sound and feel.  Wayne Moss of Barefoot Jerry is a great example.

I use 12-52 Daddario flat wounds on my Newport. They are not dull sounding, or brite. I love them.

Never tried them. Maybe try a set on my Talladega. Based on what y’all are saying about them I don’t think they’d suit any of my other guitars. 

For me?  Oh, God no.  It's not that I can't hang a little in the Jazz/Fusion realm, but classic rock is  where I'm most comfortable.  And flatwounds just go against everything I do tone wise.  

Messed around with them for a guitar with a pitch-to-midi converter, as they generate fewer overtones to confuse the processing. Hard to bend. A bit dull sounding, but cool for jazz. I have a few sets that I expect I will never use.

On 5/8/2020 at 3:36 PM, sixesandsevens said:

P-bass?  Yes.

Guitar?  That's a thing?

Yes, on jazz boxes played finger style with a clean signal chain.

On 5/7/2020 at 5:54 AM, Teh said:

Flats are a warmer tone.  Love on the jazz box and fretless bass.

And the flats minimize wear on a fretless fingerboard. Want more attack from flats on a bass? Play with a pick; it'll bring out attack and a sense of drive.

7 minutes ago, sixesandsevens said:

It was a joke.  I probably should have included my buddy here: ;) 

:D 

spacer.png

Archived