Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Chapparal MAX Bass on the 'Bay

Yes...it's in Japan.  Yes...there are multiple sellers hawking a bass they don't physically hold.

BUT - it's a MAX Bass, and if you're able to track down the actual seller, you might be able to score a killer, rare bass.

Incidentally, this one was in the same batch as mine - it's #923791 and mine is #923793.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamer-Bass-Guitar-Electric-923791-Chaparral/264715164631?hash=item3da240dbd7:g:HB4AAOSwyppeqW5P

Chap Max Serial.jpg

My Quilt Chap Bass serial.jpg

8 hours ago, 0054 said:

I've seen Chap bass's  before, what makes the Maxx different?

A different way to say Custom?  Set neck, maple body, ebony board, and boomers.

Add to that their being rare enough that you've been a member here eight years and have never heard of one, and you get excitement.

• 5 months later...

I know it was high but I love it. Hope it arrives unpunished. Did not pay asking price free shipping. The crack is a minor split in board near end of fret board. Tight not missing wood. Will take to my tech. Seller finally sent pics after I assured him I was really going to buy it. I know I know... risky but I don't see any for sale. I wish I was interested in Hamer Basses a year or two ago but they're not making anymore.

Still would like a 5 string Chap Max someday. 

Please wish me luck as I've been super nervous about everything with this deal.

I definitely will in the mean time here is my 89 Cali Elite Custom ordered. Hamer rep said I was 1st to ask for glue in neck as it wasn't offered as a glue in at the time. Late 88 early 89... I know it took about 5 months to arrive April May. I'll try to post a better picture.

cali.jpg

Well it arrived and as much as I'm thrilled I'm disappointed as well.

I waited an hour and a half before I opened it and wow! Not broken!!!

I then see the cracked fret board mentioned and lemon oil makes quick work of making it look better. 

Then I see the checking which wasnt described or photographed. So I sent a message about it... not nasty just disappointed and upset. Here are the pics.

Neck straight, need to check truss rod, 2 battery preamp plays and sounds awesome. Needs a deep cleaning, polishing and strings. What are your thoughts? $19XX

chap max.jpg

checked 1.jpg

checked 2.jpg

checked 3.jpg

checked 4.jpg

checked 5.jpg

checked 6.jpg

Looks nice!  I love the boomer inlays!!  I'm not sure where you live, but during the cold months, I always wait 24h for a freshly shipped guitar or bass to acclimatize inside the case before I open it.  Dave's Guitar Shop recommends the same strategy to avoid finish checking and crazing:

https://davesguitar.com/382833/wait-24-hours/

I live in FL... It was in state 1 day and no case. I don't think I checked the finish. It was in Miami in the morning and across the state to SWFL at 6PM back of DHL van. I don't think I checked it.

But thanks for advice!!!

Archived