Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Chapparal MAX Bass on the 'Bay

Thanks! It does! I absolutely love it. 

I'm so happy I found a family of Hamer enthusiasts/lovers like me.

4 Hamer USA guitars

3 Hamer USA Basses

1 Early Hamer Korea Bass I just tricked out... Grover tuners, Bill Lawrence p bass pickup OLB vintage Jazz pickup.

1 Carvin LB-75 Quilted Blue Burst. (My 1st bass March 2020)

Snagging that one for under $2K is a great deal!

On 11/20/2020 at 10:29 PM, Steve Haynie said:

So you got all your Hamer basses this year?

Yeah... I think it was Covid cabin fever... I found what I thought were good to great deals and my Hamer fandom kicked in. I have been working the whole time. I can't explain it other than I really love Hamers since my 1st custom order of a  1987 Chaparral Elite Red Flame top from the factory.

I'm looking at the Flame Standard on reverb but 4K is really high but the condition is amazing. 

https://reverb.com/item/37157490-1995-hamer-standard-custom-gtsc-sunburst-bound-and-crowned-mint-ohsc

I have to take better pictures.

red 1e.jpg

34 minutes ago, Ham Rex said:

I'm looking at the Flame Standard on reverb but 4K is really high but the condition is amazing. 

https://reverb.com/item/37157490-1995-hamer-standard-custom-gtsc-sunburst-bound-and-crowned-mint-ohsc

That's about $1,500 to $1,000 too high for that one.  It's also a 1997, not a 1995, not that it matters.  Those have the thinner veneer tops, not the thicker 1/4" that were milled down that started on Standards in 1999.

On 11/20/2020 at 10:47 PM, cmatthes said:

Snagging that one for under $2K is a great deal!

Thanks I wasn't sure... I appreciate your thoughts and input. It plays and sounds awesome. 

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

That's about $1,500 to $1,000 too high for that one.  It's also a 1997, not a 1995, not that it matters.  Those have the thinner veneer tops, not the thicker 1/4" that were milled down that started on Standards in 1999.

Wow! That's great info! Thank you. 

So my 1987 Chaparral above should have a 1/4 inch top? 

4 minutes ago, Ham Rex said:

Wow! That's great info! Thank you. 

So my 1987 Chaparral above should have a 1/4 inch top? 

No - your Chapparal has a veneer top.

2 hours ago, Ham Rex said:

Should that bother me? 

Again thanks for the info.

No - that was just how they were built.  They did make solid flame and quilt maple bodies as an option later on, like your Chapparal Max bass.

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2020 at 12:51 AM, HamerCustomEr said:

Looks nice!  I love the boomer inlays!!  I'm not sure where you live, but during the cold months, I always wait 24h for a freshly shipped guitar or bass to acclimatize inside the case before I open it.  Dave's Guitar Shop recommends the same strategy to avoid finish checking and crazing:

https://davesguitar.com/382833/wait-24-hours/

I took a super close look at one photo seller sent me and it was checked before sending so I'm relieved it wasn't me.

I have used the 24 hour rule since then and it worked fine and I have 2 Hamers on the way and will use it again.

Thank you so much for sharing the information and enlightening me.

Very Helpful!!!

Archived