Hamer Fan Club Message Center

R.I.P. Little Richard

Damn.

When I was a little kid I thought he was just weird. Later on I figured it out and came to appreciate what he did.

R.I.P.

^^^^ +1 on being a true pioneer. One of the best impromptu declamations ever about rock and roll history is found on the soundtrack of the '73 movie Let the Good Times Roll (and I guess it's in the film too, but I never saw it). Therein, Penniman (who was into his fop persona at the time) held forth about Pat Boone's milquetoast cover of "Tutti Fruitti", proclaiming that Boone's lips weren't big enough to do the "A-Wop-Bop-A-Loo-Bop-A-Lop-Bam-Boom" line. He also reminisced about washing dishes at the bus station in Macon, GA. His actual performance was pretty strong, and he stopped the show to stage a dance contest, IIRC, yelling "Whoever dance best, they gonna give you a free ticket to Africa!" That soundtrack stood on its own, IMO

And a memory from France as well....A great contribution as well as Fats Domino and so many others...

My blonde Norwegian wife yells from the living room: "Rich Little died!"

To which I yell back, "What are the odds of him dying on the same day as Little Richard?"

For a small older woman, she still packs a pretty good punch.

The consummate showman.

...but he had all the chops and singing ability and songwriting ability to back it all up. Macca and Jagger studied him and learned from him as did so many others...Robert Plant owes him...,on the Heart Greatest/Live album there is a killer live cut of I’m Down into Long Tall Sally where Ann Wilson does her level best to channel Richards...it worked. May the Architect of rock and roll RIP.

There's interview footage of Richard that is priceless. (Paraphrasing), "The Beatles OPENED for ME, honey! I taught Paul how to SANNG! I taught Paul the, "whooooo, whooooo!!"

RIP, Mr. Penniman.

For those not into LR deep cuts, I submit the following.  Not my fav LR song overall, but the vocals are ridiculous.  If you want to hear him really piece his whole range together, this is it. 

He created everything I love. He created Rock N Roll. Without him the world would not be the same place. Flamboyant, out of this world, he was born to let the sun in to our eyes and a revolution of sound in to our ears. RIP Richard Wayne Penniman.

Vernon Reid was on XM Volume this morning talking about this performance with Living Color.  Enjoy!

WARNING: Tumbling Boomer Content!

Archived